Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands General Weather Thread

Posted

A showery and slippery night in Northampton for our thumping win against Leicester in the Guinness Premiership. (Dowson=Legend)

Tomorrow promises to be a thoroughly miserable day with relentless heavy rainfall and only a small chance of precipitation turning wintry on the back edge, by which time the ground will be extremely saturated anyway.

Next week holds promise, but it's still too far away to have a clear idea. Indeed, the snow risk seems to be getting pushed back all the while. But a wintry element to the first week of March looks likely, just a case of how much.

Edited by NorthantsSnow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

A showery and slippery night in Northampton for our confident win against Leicester in the Guiness Premiership. (Dowson=Legend)

Tomorrow promises to be a thoroughly miserable day with relentless heavy rainfall and only a small chance of precipitation turning wintry on the back edge, by which time the ground will be extremely saturated anyway.

Next week holds promise, but it's still too far away to have a clear idea. Indeed, the snow risk seems to be getting pushed back all the while. But a wintry element to the first week of March looks likely, just a case of how much.

I feel a repeat of 17th-18th Dec happening, loads of snow for SE again then the high moving over the UK, so a 2 day easterly with snow only for favoured areas

as for tomorrow, very bad day, wanna see it out the way, midlands look like being hit badly

Posted

I feel a repeat of 17th-18th Dec happening, loads of snow for SE again then the high moving over the UK, so a 2 day easterly with snow only for favoured areas

as for tomorrow, very bad day, wanna see it out the way, midlands look like being hit badly

:) , yeah looks like a wet and windy morning at least, though i dont know if its going to be a notable day for the midlands, maybe moreso the further south and east you head, but for most a windy day with persistant light rain, with the odd moderate/heavy burst.

Posted

But a wintry element to the first week of March looks likely

I would say the 2nd week of March looks more wintry if it's snow you want.

Around the 9th March onwards...

Posted

Haha thanks but i doubt it - not expecting anything to settle. Hope i'm wrong. Will try to remember to report back......

Well we got our snow flakes - been sleeting lightly for last 15 mins or so. Temp 0.8C.

Though we got no precipitation from the main band; this sleet is from a new (narrow) line of precipitation formed to the NW in last couple of hours.

Posted

Well we got our snow flakes - been sleeting lightly for last 15 mins or so. Temp 0.8C.

Though we got no precipitation from the main band; this sleet is from a new (narrow) line of precipitation formed to the NW in last couple of hours.

yep, i had an inkling the band might go too far south/east, the midlands being left with not too bad a day now.

Posted

yep, i had an inkling the band might go too far south/east, the midlands being left with not too bad a day now.

dunno about that its horrible, but did see the odd white bit on window earlier, but temps seem too high,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Nice and mild at the end of the GFS 06z. Great with little or no snow on this. :help:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

I guess the next two weeks isn't looking too bad at all with a good amount of dry weather ahead. I still have wonders for what Thursday could do, though. The local ten day forecast shows it being dry, yet the Met Office predict some rain/sleet for that day. Will have too see what the further updates show.

Currently cloudly with a temperature of 5*C, with one or two brighter spells breaking out from time to time. cool.gif

Posted

Indeed, certainly not the wash out we were fearing today. Went up Lickey Hills with the dog earlier...a cold wind up there but not too bad. Quite a lot of dog walkers up there today. Looking forward to going up there to catch a summer breeze when hot weather comes later this year.

Posted

Indeed, certainly not the wash out we were fearing today. Went up Lickey Hills with the dog earlier...a cold wind up there but not too bad. Quite a lot of dog walkers up there today. Looking forward to going up there to catch a summer breeze when hot weather comes later this year.

yeah, its always great to go up there and catch the views that go on for miles, and see that defined boundary between suburbia and countryside. love it up there

Posted

wasn't a bad day then sundays low, pleased it was dry from 9.30am, really do think winter is over now (actually it is over as today is the last day of winter) wont be anymore snow now, springlike week coming up although maybe cool nights

Posted
wont be anymore snow now, springlike week coming up although maybe cool nights

That will be why heavy snow is forecast for Friday then for Midlands according to Meto forecast. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Posted

wasn't a bad day then sundays low, pleased it was dry from 9.30am, really do think winter is over now (actually it is over as today is the last day of winter) wont be anymore snow now, springlike week coming up although maybe cool nights

Snow in spring is very common, especially further north with elevation but no exclusively so. Very brave to be calling no snow at all in spring I have to say. Perhaps a touch stupid even, to be blunt about it. Indeed, Northamptonshire has experienced at least one snow event during spring for the past 7 years. For the last snowless spring you'd have to go back as far as 2002!

Anyway, a lovely spring day here with plenty of sunshine. I wouldn't go as far to describe it as a "mild" week ahead like the unlikely named mild ramper Blizzards. Quite the contrary, we could see some very low overnight temperatures with frequent frosts, recovering to average, perhaps slightly above average temperatures by day. But certainly it should feel pleasant with the sun and very settled for the foreseeable, for our region and beyond, with just a scattering of showers to contend with.

Does that mean snow won't make a comeback at some point? Of course not. :whistling:

Edited by NorthantsSnow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

True, and it's even possible to have snow as late as mid-April, although quite unlikely.

Really loving this sunny dry day today and makes a nice break from the usuall wet and chilly weather. cool.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

It's been beautiful today, I've been in the garden planting and digging and I was in a T shirt, fabulous.

Also had the washing out and the cat and rabbits were sunbathing!

Hmm perhaps I should just point out I was wearing more than JUST a T shirt!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Anyway, a lovely spring day here with plenty of sunshine. I wouldn't go as far to describe it as a "mild" week ahead like the unlikely named mild ramper Blizzards. Quite the contrary, we could see some very low overnight temperatures with frequent frosts, recovering to average, perhaps slightly above average temperatures by day. But certainly it should feel pleasant with the sun and very settled for the foreseeable, for our region and beyond, with just a scattering of showers to contend with.

Does that mean snow won't make a comeback at some point? Of course not. :)

Do you mean me? I love the snow and cold but i really have had enough of the snow and cold now and would like it to start warming up now. Today has been a fabulous day. By the end of the year it can snow as much as it wants too! Im not a mild ramper but lets face it, were swiftly moving towards summer before we know it so i wouldnt mind it warming up. :whistling:

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

True, and it's even possible to have snow as late as mid-April, although quite unlikely.

Really loving this sunny dry day today and makes a nice break from the usuall wet and chilly weather. cool.gif

Its possible to have snow in early June as in 1975, cricket snowed off at Buxton!

Also, heavy snow fell at the end of April 1981, with maxima of only 2-4c in the Midlands and up to a foot of snow in the higher parts.

Posted

yeah proper spring day today, felt warm in that sun, even with the minimum of -1.2°C didnt feel too cold, max of 10.9°C

Posted

I don't like this winter sunshine.

It's pointless having sun unless it's warm.

Also the sun is too low and it just gets in your eyes, like having laser surgery when you are walking or driving.

Much prefer to have cloud and rain until about May when it should start to warm up a bit.