Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands General Weather Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

old thread getting a bit long, and no cold spell anymore down here, today was my 2nd warmest day of winter (warmest day of 2010) with a high of 11.2°C

not much rain so not a bad day, Just wanna see Sunday's low out the way then dry maybe even colder weather arriving to dry things up

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

GFS gives a nice snow event next week but too far away. I hate snow now unless its something very good.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Next Wednesday is looking pretty tasty with over 30mm of precipitation expected and an 80% chance and above of that falling as snow. The HPA dam's are also looking extremely good with 521's quite apparent. Clearly, the amount of snow that settles will depend on how cold the ground is and whether it is dry enough.

It probably won't happen with changes here and there to be made, but it would be a smashing way to round off Winter, even though there is still March and possibly April for further snow events.cool.gif It would be nice, at the same time, to look forward to some warm spells between any chilly periods we may still get.

Posted

The Wednesday event on tonight's GFS is really something quite special. I'm in awe of it.

http://charts.netweather.tv/gfsimages/gfs.20100225/18/132/prectypeuktopo.png

Shame it most likely won't pan out like that. Still, there's a chance.

It would be the perfect end to the winter. I wouldn't mind if it was the last snow event of the season if it came off like that, and that's coming from a full time cold/snow lover unlike some of the part timers on here!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

FWIW it's been snowing/sleeting lightly here for the last 10 mins

yep, sleet here in Penkridge near Cannock

edit that to wet snow

Posted

Heavy snow reported Leek Thornicliffe, very snowy at Flash, and Cat & Fiddle..

http://www.buxtonweather.co.uk/

Turning sleety at Keele now!

getting very interesting!

Ian

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & thunder storms.

Its 3c and tipping it down with rain, some gust wind.

Got soaked walking the dog this morning and the mud was horrid.

I keep hearing rumors of more snow on the way, is the cold on its way back? I thought that large low was going to bring just the wet and windy weather that has already started, I was surprised to see the temp so low this morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Can anoyone explain why our local radio station have been warning of heavy snow on Sunday? They've mentioned it several times this morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Can anoyone explain why our local radio station have been warning of heavy snow on Sunday? They've mentioned it several times this morning.

It could be because they looked at numerous forcasts and the data associated with them, and then gave an overall likely outcome from those forecasts. There were some forecasts/data, I imagine, they took a particular interest to, such as the Met Office with a chance of something snowy for Sunday.

To be honest, though, there was always an outside chance for sleet/snow on Sunday from that low pressure, but with rain still being the most possible outcome.

However, (having gazed at the local snow risk forecast) I would say that the high-up temperatures for Sunday are looking a little more warmer than I expected (for the beginning part anyway), but with the high-up temperatures tending to get a few degrees below freezing the further on into the day. The overal dam's are looking okay and improve further on in the day; the best chance of snow, I think, would indeed be during the afternoon. Some of the heavyier areas of precipitation could possibly help to squeeze some snow down to some lower levels during the earlier part of the day, with the warmer air being more easily absorbed.

I think it could make quite a reasonably wintry day, although if it does end up being very windy with some strong gusts possible, then clearly it could be quite stormy outside. Blizzards certainly could happen, too.

It will be interesting to see what alterations the forecasts will make in the next day or so (hopefully Sunday won't be too windy).smile.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Any snow Sunday looks reserved towards the back end of the PPN. If heavy enough could give a covering perhaps.

Posted

I see now no escaping this low for sunday, also dont like ecm 12Z, looks very wet on thursday and friday, completely different to the 00Z

Posted

i love the wind! windy stormy weather is my fav so im hoping to feelsome good gusts on sunday! i do like snoow too but any weather has to be pretty lively for me to enjoy it and i doubt we will have much snow to be honest! bring on the stormy windy fronts! yahoo.gif

Posted

beast back on 06Z, but pushed further into FI, now fri and sat for any snow chances, approaching -13°C upper air, that will go on the 12Z

Posted

Some very beefey shower are on their way towards us from the south west, bet there'll be a bit of thunder in 'um.

Posted

Will be interested to see how much if any snow falls here tomorrow, and if it does whether it might even settle.

Posted

wouldnt go as far as that, higher ground may well get a smattering of snow, but for lower levels, cold rain is the most likely outcome.

I've seen it forecast for above 200m (Ian Fergusson's blog), or above 250m (another forecast, but can't remember where)

So a fair bet for some flakes here at 286m, just a question of how much. Hopes not very high, but marginal situations often have the potential to be interesting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

I've seen it forecast for above 200m (Ian Fergusson's blog), or above 250m (another forecast, but can't remember where)

So a fair bet for some flakes here at 286m, just a question of how much. Hopes not very high, but marginal situations often have the potential to be interesting.

I reckon at almost 300m you have a good chance of seeing 5cm+

Posted

I reckon at almost 300m you have a good chance of seeing 5cm+

Haha thanks but i doubt it - not expecting anything to settle. Hope i'm wrong. Will try to remember to report back......