Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Barometer

major

Posted

Quite a few years ago, I cant remember the exact date, I remember something happened to my Barometer immediately before a terrible storm.

I found out later that it is called "crashing".

My Barometer "crashed" and we had a terrific storm. I have never seen it happen again, has anyone else ever expereinced this kind of thing ?

The presure fell extremely quickly and the reading took a dive so quick.

How often does this kind of pressure change happen ?

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Quite a few years ago, I cant remember the exact date, I remember something happened to my Barometer immediately before a terrible storm.

I found out later that it is called "crashing".

My Barometer "crashed" and we had a terrific storm. I have never seen it happen again, has anyone else ever expereinced this kind of thing ?

The presure fell extremely quickly and the reading took a dive so quick.

How often does this kind of pressure change happen ?

Deep low pressure systems with a steep gradient between higher pressure and low pressure will cause this. What happens is that air moves from high to low pressure at the surface and the greater the pressure difference the faster the air moves (wind).

Typically this tends to happen during the autumn when low pressure systems are deeper because of the greater temperature difference between cold northern air and warmer tropical air. A really big crash in pressure and hence and really violent storm happens quite rarely in the UK unless you live in some of the scottish islands.