Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Osbourne One-Nil

What's Wrong With My Telly?

I've got a Samsung 26" LCD flat-screen telly thingy, which is about 3 and a half years old. It's coupled to a Sky+ box so the picture is frequently paused.

Now, I thought that LCD TVs weren't prone to image-burn or anything like that, but over the past couple of months, I've noticed that if the image is paused for anything over a few minutes, the image is retained in the background for quite some time. If I turn the telly on and off, it makes no difference. The ghost image does disappear eventually, but its occurrence is starting to increase.

Any ideas?

I've got a Samsung 26" LCD flat-screen telly thingy, which is about 3 and a half years old. It's coupled to a Sky+ box so the picture is frequently paused.

Now, I thought that LCD TVs weren't prone to image-burn or anything like that, but over the past couple of months, I've noticed that if the image is paused for anything over a few minutes, the image is retained in the background for quite some time. If I turn the telly on and off, it makes no difference. The ghost image does disappear eventually, but its occurrence is starting to increase.

Any ideas?

Hi OON, try turning up the the brightness to full and see if it clears the problem.

Usually, LCD doesn't suffer from image burn the same way as plasma does. It's more likely to be a build up of electrical charge :yahoo:

A screen freeze can cause problems as it burns out the microsections of the way the screen is made. Not all but some will burn out and cause major screen problems due to overheating.

Yes. As odd as it sounds, it sounds to me like your LCD is on its way out. Not the TV itself but the LCD backlit screen itself. The component is called a

They do have a 'shelf life' of about 5 years' unlike CRT's which used to last forever until phosphor burnout.

But unlike LCD, CRT can last for many years. The same applies to plasma which has about the same shelf life of 5 years.

Last May (2009) and after only 17 months from brand new (JVC), our 32in LCD pic suddenly went. Cost £98 to repair.

I'd get a quote if I were you. Better still, it might be cheaper in the long run to invest in a new LCD TV.

Phil.

OK,

Some bits that may help you.

LCD screens dont "Burn In" You get a thing called "image persistence"

Basically when you have an image stuck on for a while ( like on a PC screen the start menu etc ) or your pause screen in this case .

The crystals slowly remember their position so when you then resume playback they are misaligned and show the image still.

In most cases this is fixable.

You can try putting a 100% full screen white image on ( try plugging your pc into the TV to do it ) in most cases this has to be left on 48 hrs +

Even then it might take longer.

Another think is to "relax the crystals" just by leaving the screen off for some time.

While we shouldn't have these problems with lcd screens like we had with the old crt monitors, Its still a shame that it does happen.

Turning the brightness off or higher shouldn't effect it as its purely just a backlight and the crystals are still in the same position, You just wouldnt be able to see them.

Hope this helps

-G

( A Tech Guy )

Thanks you two. It does disappear after a while (perhaps half an hour) but it's happening more and more often, so it's a bit concerning and perhaps, Phil is right (it's got to happen one day)?

What doesn't seem to budge is a black vertical line about quarter of the way on the right hand side. It's there from when you watch non wide-screen programs and there are black bars down the side. I know you can get the telly to zoom or change the aspect ratio, but I've always preferred to have black bars either side of the picture than a distorted image, otherwise everyone starts to look a bit like Anne Widdecombe.

Thanks also to GMG. I had a look, but there are so many differing opinions on there that I can't make head nor tail of it. Who'd have thought it eh? Wildly differing opinions and lots of bickering over something so seemingly simple and trivial. It would never happen h...ah.

Was going to suggest trying a paramount view but if that fails as well and everyone looks like Anne Widdicombe, then dump it. Might be cheaper in the long run to get a new set than fork out for a repair.

Could be worse though. Might have images of Cherie Blair! blink.gif

I like Anne Widdecombe...she's the sort of woman that makes me think I have a chance.

I certainly wouldn't bother repairing it, but I might bung it into the kids' room and treat myself to a non-Samsung one...they do appear quite prone to this!

Would Wib's approve? The non Samsung I mean? biggrin.gif

Phil.

• Showers in the north and west again ahead of a hot end to the week

A weather front will bring showery rain to western and northern regions today, as those further southeast enjoy warm sunny spells. Heat then starts to build for the end of the week with 35c on the cards in the southeast. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

Heat building - But not before a northwestern soaking

The weather has thrown up two things to focus on during the coming hours and days. First the rain across the north and especially northwest of the UK, with some heavy, persistent downpours today in western Scotland in particular. Second, the build of heat later this week from the south, with temperatures forecast to rise into the mid-thirties, for some at least, by Friday. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather