Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

April 1595?

hugogo

As I was reading through summary of European climate from the 1300s, I read about an incredible cold wave that affected much of Europe during the monthe of April 1595. Indeed after a very severe winter, it is said that the temperatures reached such low levels that people died from the cold in France around the 12th of the month, and birds died in their millions.

Has anyone heard of this event affecting the UK??

Posted

As I was reading through summary of European climate from the 1300s, I read about an incredible cold wave that affected much of Europe during the monthe of April 1595. Indeed after a very severe winter, it is said that the temperatures reached such low levels that people died from the cold in France around the 12th of the month, and birds died in their millions.

i suppose weather records pre 17th century are going to be somewhat unreliable, as the earliest weather data(for britain anyway) started in 1659, and the data only started to be accurate around the early 18th century. we can only take peoples words for it really, or look for accounts at the time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

There's nothing mentioned in Brazell's 'London Weather' which has a fairly comprehensive list of extreme events listed toward the back of the book. However, there is a reference to it in Gordon Manley's 'Climate and the British Scene' where, in a general discussion about the severity of Elizabethan winters he mentions a very cold spring in 1587 and,

'another very cold April befell in 1595'

There's nothing mentioned in Brazell's 'London Weather' which has a fairly comprehensive list of extreme events listed toward the back of the book. However, there is a reference to it in Gordon Manley's 'Climate and the British Scene' where, in a general discussion about the severity of Elizabethan winters he mentions a very cold spring in 1587 and,

'another very cold April befell in 1595'

Thanks a lot for the information. I will see if I can find any thing else on the internet.