Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Looking through the models so far, it seems to me that the next couple of weeks will see the biggest attempt to break down this cold winter, with plenty of snow events for the Midlands northwards in the process. It would make a cracking end to a fantastic winter if this were the case.

I'm not saying it's the end of winter, especially as some people are suggesting the set up is there for a cold March, but the next week or so it does look very unsettled and snowy in places.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Just a few days ago people saying its getting milder as the week progresses with 8C/9C tomorrow and that snow prospects were poor yet its snowing today in parts with lots more potential in the next week with some severe frosts likely this weekend with daytime temps really struggling :(

However in FI its not exactly looking wintry, and the models have been pretty certain of that for some days now. Its a case of will the transition to milder conditions keep getting put back further and further.

Posted

I'm just remembering back to last Sunday when most people were saying slim chance of snow this week, temps too marginal etc.. we never seem to learn do we..

However, I was preety confident that there would be many snowy surprises this week.

Scotland is firmly back in freezer land and this cold spell has some longevity in it yet, in fact potential for significant snowfall is increasing by the day as we head into late Feb, next week looks very much cold and snowy for the north.

Posted

I'm just remembering back to last Sunday when most people were saying slim chance of snow this week, temps too marginal etc.. we never seem to learn do we..

However, I was preety confident that there would be many snowy surprises this week.

Scotland is firmly back in freezer land and this cold spell has some longevity in it yet, in fact potential for significant snowfall is increasing by the day as we head into late Feb, next week looks very much cold and snowy for the north.

yeah just noticed a few double figure minus's...was it predicted to be so cold tonight....how far south will that really cold air get?

Posted

Lol everytime it snows a post comes up like this.

Haha, maybe they'll change their minds when they read the quote below, from BBC Weather website:

Large stellar (star shaped) snowflakes may grow to be 5-7 cm (2-3 in) across. The largest snowflakes recorded in the world fell on 28 January 1887, measuring a mind-boggling 38 cm (15 in) across by 20 cm (8 in) thick, across Fort Keogh in Montana.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/weatherbasics/snowflakes.shtml

Glad I wasn't under that one! :lol:

Edited by Tommyd1258

Posted

Well this winter is a great winter I must say, three times this week I've woken up to heavy falling snow and twice settling snow in an event I fought wouldn't deliver there's nothing better than a good ol Surprise :).

Posted

Hi guys

Got a BIG golf game on saturday, in South Bham, is this snow likely to thaw today and be gone by tmrw??

Sun strenght and all that?

I should think it will thaw but it really depends on the depth and local conditions, However more snow showers may penetrate as far inland as B'ham tonight and certainly tomorrow afternoon so the world is your oyster just hope for the best in your case hehe.

Posted

It's been snowing here for awhile now and contrary to my thoughts it is now starting to settle, quite amazing really when places like Gt Yarmouth not a million miles away have had rain instead....

Posted

Morning Folks

Amazing snow reports from the midlands, and here in London it feels so warm at the moment, great contrasts in the weather on our Island today

Cheers

FC

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

It's been snowing here for awhile now and contrary to my thoughts it is now starting to settle, quite amazing really when places like Gt Yarmouth not a million miles away have had rain instead....

In the meantime, cold rain/sleet in Norwich... :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Well this Winter stands out for it`s long periods of below average temps. and number of snow days here.

Certainly no `47 or `63 but a good one in many other respects.

Another 6-7CM lying this morning after several hrs. of steady snowfall later yesterday and into the night.

Credit to the Met.O. for calling this one fairly accurately,at least for the midlands anyway.

Looking at the overnight outputs the next week or so remains cold and wintry for many.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Lol everytime it snows a post comes up like this.

Some were a couple of inches across of varying shapes — if you want to doubt my word, fine.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

2-3cm from a heavy snow shower this morning, a pleasant surprise again! First lying snow of Feb.

Dad had 3 inches in Coventry yesterday, thawing there.

Posted

Lovely warm sunshine here in Poole. Would hope to think that the big event for Monday would deliver some long awaited snow but the odds here are astronomically against.

Posted

As this has been my first winter on the Netweather Forum I thought I would give my amateur assessment of what this winter has been like for my own area. The most exciting aspect of it has been reading the Model Output Discussion thread where almost everyday someone is talking about extreme weather arriving in the near future. Terms like Severe, Snowfest, Snowmageddon, UK Will Freeze Over, Beast From The East etc has kept my interest going for the whole time I've been here.

Sadly the reality has been somewhat different for my area. We have had a couple of days when it snowed, and a few days when it felt cold. That's it. So without the Model Output people my winter would have been ordinary, so I would like to thank the Netweather model experts for making it a little bit more interesting.

Edited by John London

Posted

Yes based on the ensembles its only the far N of England/Scotland that remains cold. However according to the latest Met O update this disagrees with the GFS as they refer to snow for Central parts which of course means the Midlands.

Perhaps it's me, but I always find the Met O's updates a bit out-of-date, though? The change has, after all, only happened very suddenly - I was expecting colder weather and a lot of snow until the shocking change in output about 30 mins ago.

Edit: I would agree with Scotland/the northern most parts of England still being at threat of snow in the next week though.

Edited by Matt12

Posted

Well this Winter stands out for it`s long periods of below average temps. and number of snow days here.

Certainly no `47 or `63 but a good one in many other respects.

Im beginning to wish I kept records of this winter so far. Adding up all the cold spells so far this winter I have probably seen over 20 days of snow lying and similiar amount of days with snow falling. I witnessed a few ice days between 18th Dec- 24th Dec and I cannot remember any days reaching 10C. The snowfall amounts reached 7cm last night with the greatest snowfall being 12cm on the 18th Dec.

Amazing to think that nearly a third of this winter has seen snow lying on the ground. Incredible when you think their has been winters when I haven't seen a single snowflake!

The snowfall events haven't been anywhere near as severe as those I remember back in the late 70's/80's. However overall its been one of the best winters since 95/96. At least we can put this christmas pudding to bed at last.

Posted

Shocked to find the updated Met O forecast still refers to there being snow over the weekend and Monday for the south east/east anglia. Just shows how out-of-date Met O's forecasts are to me.

Meto have refreshed their warning for Monday a little over an hour ago and much of the same regions are still in advisory.

I think it is wise to consider the ensembles, but it should be balanced with what the professionals consideration is also of a likely outcome.

For me, I am still thinking the Midlands northwards are looking likely to recieve a good amount of snowfall over the coming days.

I wonder if that was because their warning was issued just before the change in output occurred? Either way, I guess things can change more favourably just as quickly - especially nearer the event.

Posted

Im beginning to wish I kept records of this winter so far. Adding up all the cold spells so far this winter I have probably seen over 20 days of snow lying and similiar amount of days with snow falling. I witnessed a few ice days between 18th Dec- 24th Dec and I cannot remember any days reaching 10C. The snowfall amounts reached 7cm last night with the greatest snowfall being 12cm on the 18th Dec.

Amazing to think that nearly a third of this winter has seen snow lying on the ground. Incredible when you think their has been winters when I haven't seen a single snowflake!

The snowfall events haven't been anywhere near as severe as those I remember back in the late 70's/80's. However overall its been one of the best winters since 95/96. At least we can put this christmas pudding to bed at last.

There has been one 10C in Cambridge on the 4th February since 9th December, which I will remember for the lack of mild this winter! 18 days of snow lying and 18 days with snow falling, 39 Air frosts to date and 7 ice days, truly terrific for cold lovers this winter and I think it is fair to say most if not all people in the country this winter have seen one decent snowfall, except maybe Western Cornwall

There has been one 10C in Cambridge on the 4th February since 9th December, which I will remember for the lack of mild this winter! 18 days of snow lying and 18 days with snow falling, 39 Air frosts to date and 7 ice days, truly terrific for cold lovers this winter and I think it is fair to say most if not all people in the country this winter have seen one decent snowfall, except maybe Western Cornwall

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Woke up to a 1 cm covering of snow — all gone by lunchtime when the sun came out.

But it shows how cold it's been for the last few months, I'm planting a yew hedge and it felt very pleasant working in the sunshine, but checked the temperature and it's still only 2.4° C, it felt more like 5° C.

Posted

Hey, go easy on me guys, this is my first post, haha! I have been following these forums (this thread in particlar) for a while now (lurking) and only just made an account.

So, going by the models, what are the chances of Scotland seeing some snow over the coming week?

Posted

Hey, go easy on me guys, this is my first post, haha! I have been following these forums (this thread in particlar) for a while now (lurking) and only just made an account.

So, going by the models, what are the chances of Scotland seeing some snow over the coming week?

Very high! The Northern half of the UK looks to be in a favourable position for snow. I think the general term for next week will be, The further North, the better (for snow) in terms of marginality.

Posted

Any idea anybody if we got a better chance of seeing snow monday in the south or will it be the same as yesterday wet snow rain.is the set up more favorable in the south?