Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Im not exactly an expert, but i do know this, on the 20th of december the models were showing a marginal event for my area, most likely rain, and no weather forecasts were going for more than a light snow shower. However woke up to 3 inches of snow. The question i have is that is the current set up in the models anything like that set up? If so whats to stop history repeating?

EDIT: Why was this moved from the model discussion thread? its speaking about a comparison between previous models and current ones

Edited by K.1000

Posted

I'm from Blackpool K, so we often get similar forecasts and if I remember correctly I was forecast a light rain shower and 5oc on that day though we woke up to 3inches of snow and temp struggled above freezing. I do think we'll get snow tomorrow, however.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

I'm from Blackpool K, so we often get similar forecasts and if I remember correctly I was forecast a light rain shower and 5oc on that day though we woke up to 3inches of snow and temp struggled above freezing. I do think we'll get snow tomorrow, however.

More like wintry showers tomorrow,have a look on the NW thread have put my thoughts on there

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

4.1c colder air working in from the NW, stornoway now down to 2c with a DP of 0c, expect the showers that are following will be turning wintry through the evening and night with snowfall on the hills for sure,and lower levels at risk.

Posted

The implication in your post (and perhaps I misunderstood), is that you do better from snow setups because you are rural, and because we in the SE and EA are all huddled on an urban heat island or something, we don't do so well? If you had been to the SE and EA (as many have already stated) much of it is very rural and very beautiful indeed, obviously London/Greater London being the main exception. Take Norwich for example, which is tiny compared to most cities in England, even some towns, the rest is very rural - it's called carrot country for a reason!

No you misunderstood, i was merely stating where i lived was rural and the reasons i loved it :) I've been to the SE a fair few times so i kinda know it isn't a big city....Still you can jump to conclusions all day long for me! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

4.1c colder air working in from the NW, stornoway now down to 2c with a DP of 0c, expect the showers that are following will be turning wintry through the evening and night with snowfall on the hills for sure,and lower levels at risk.

Classic rPm weather, showers across northwestern Britain, a front just to the south and east of the majority of the UK and dry to the north of it. Hence -0.4C with clear skies here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry and cold...

Dusting of snow and a snow shower on my way to Salford Quays this morning...Can't see the Peak District this morning but I suspect it should be a good sight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Dusting of snow and a snow shower on my way to Salford Quays this morning...Can't see the Peak District this morning but I suspect it should be a good sight.

You're right, everthing nice and white this morning. The 9th morning this month here with a snow cover and never more than 3cm.

Posted

So I guess you decided not to wear a t-shirt at the train station?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

SNOWING IN NORWICH!!!!!

(Okay a bit OTT but that sums up how I felt when I looked out the window and saw falling and settling snow after it was raining about an hour ago)

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Netweather alert issued:

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=forecast;type=alerts;reg=2;sess=;

... could be a snowy evening across SE Wales and Midlands. Given the heavy and wet nature of the snow, it is likely to stick readily and may bring some powerlines down due to the weight of sticking snow, certainly will cause some travel disruption too around the rush hour this evening across the West Midlands.

Posted

Dreadful conditions here at the moment with dense freezing fog and temps at -2C.

As for todays event and the models still disagree although looking at the radar/sat I feel the NAE is correct at the moment.

Yes small but major differences when comparing 00z with 06z. Much milder in the South, Snow bonanza Mildlands and parts of the North, very cold in Scotland. So if you were driving up the M1, it would start as heavy rain, then a transition to sleet around Northampton, and within a couple of miles it would seem as if you had been transported to Siberia with lots of snow and probably blizzards! laugh.gif

Of course a few miles here and there with these synoptics, as little as 20 or 30 miles, less even, are going to make a hell of a difference to the conditions your likely to see on the ground. The colder air my stick further South like the 00z was showing, or shift a bit further North. Idealy we want things to stay a bit further South to prevent things becoming too marginal for even the Midlands. Lots and lots of potention though guys and girls! biggrin.gif

Weather cant make its mind up at the moment in Northampton , heavy snow , then sleet , then icy rain , then back to heavy snow.

Wasnt expecting this until about 5pm , is the low moving faster than originally forecast and also in a more North Easterly direction.

Just a few days ago people saying its getting milder as the week progresses with 8C/9C tomorrow and that snow prospects were poor yet its snowing today in parts with lots more potential in the next week with some severe frosts likely this weekend with daytime temps really struggling :lol:

Posted

Just a few days ago people saying its getting milder as the week progresses with 8C/9C tomorrow and that snow prospects were poor yet its snowing today in parts with lots more potential in the next week with some severe frosts likely this weekend with daytime temps really struggling :lol:

It was only a couple of weeks ago some members started discussing the possibility of the warmest temperature ever recorded in February :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Snowing here with the LARGEST snowflakes I've ever seen — like flattened tennis balls… will try to take a picture.

Edited by Iceni

Posted

Dont feel too sorry for us TEITS , after all I have had one of the snowiest winters in my memory this winter , with lying snow for well over 20 days and touching 11 inch at one point in North Leeds. Even yesterday we had snow into the evening giving a light covering when most models just forecast the band to peter out into South Yorkshire.

Anyone will tell you how difficult it is to forecast not only the type of PPN but the extent and track of any over the next 5-6 days ... I see the Met have an early warning out for next monday already !! Must be some confidence already ?!

The M62 zone of Northern England has done well this winter. Further North we'be had to rely on shrs which can be hit and miss. You've probably had more snowfall than here. But because its colder in the N Pennines the snow has lasted longer. Lack of snow over last 4/5 weeks means the snowfall deviation from average will be less than many places.

Posted

Remarkable snow event here. Non stop last few hours, huge flakes and a white out !

John in Gloucester

p.s. More local reports please. Must be bad up in the Forest of Dean and Cotswolds !

Posted

Its been snowing here in newport south wales since 10am and hasn`t stopped i`m 77mtrs asl and have 3-4 inches of snow with more to come by the look !!whistling.gif