Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring / Summer 2010

djajb

I know we still have almost a full month of Winter left but im interested in peoples thoughts for the upcoming Spring & Summer as im fed up of the winter now!

Does the cold winter mean colder seas and thus more settled cool weather in the UK?

What is the sunspot activity currently and will this influence the weather later?

Will the often easterly jets this winter make for a more southwesterly jet during Spring/Summer?

What has occured generally when we have had a cold winter in the summer after?

Will the next summer be similar to 2009 where most of the UK was wet and East Anglia & Southeast England dry?

Id be interested in everyones thoughts!

Cheers

Edited by djajb

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I may be mistaken??? But, isn't even Joe B (Cold Ramper Extraordinaire) forecasting a BBQ Summer? :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

I'm going for a fairly dry,warm summer this year, based on the idea that a blocked winter can lead to a summer with a lot of blocking e.g. '47. Also this summer comes after an el nino, which perhaps means more settled weather?

Not sure though, just my thoughts.

LS

Posted

I may be mistaken??? But, isn't even Joe B (Cold Ramper Extraordinaire) forecasting a BBQ Summer? :)

He said 'Warm'.

A cold first half of Spring beckons. With the modern stuff pepping up around May time :)

Oh and yes Summer may well be cold and wet haha.

Edited by Optimus Prime

I always find these threads kind of strange in early February just like winter threads in early August, in both cases there is ages to hot and cold weather in the UK as it really doesn't get hot until early to mid June onwards in most years.

I think we are reverting to a 1980`s type climate with more cold winters but unfortunately more cool summers.

Typically cold winters produce cold springs/cool summers in this country, i`m going for a summer similar to 1985(not as cool/wet though), this winter has been abit similar to winter 1984/85.

I may be mistaken??? But, isn't even Joe B (Cold Ramper Extraordinaire) forecasting a BBQ Summer?

LOL, thats nothing to celebrate he's renown for his love of extremes so always goes for cold winters and hot summers.

Edited by Eugene

Posted

My favourite time of the year..

Give me temps of 30c for June, July and August and i will be a happy man!!!

Nothing better than finishing work and going to the pub and the Beer garden for a relaxing pint.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

A repeat of 2007,2008 or 2009 will do very nicely thank you :)

Posted

A repeat of 2007,2008 or 2009 will do very nicely thank you :)

Nick I take it you dont like warm weather! :)

Edited by Snowman0697

Posted

Nick I take it you dont like warm weather! :)

Your assumption couldn't be more correct :)

Posted

No repeat of 2007,2008 or 2009 will do me nicely :yahoo:

Nor a 2003! Give me a warm settled summer, temps 22c to 25c, one or two 30c days if they give some good storms :whistling: Overall not to hot as i don't like the nights.

Posted

No repeat of 2007,2008 or 2009 will do me nicely :(

Nor a 2003! Give me a warm settled summer, temps 22c to 25c, one or two 30c days if they give some good storms :aggressive:Overall not to hot as i don't like the nights.

For me that is the worst part of summer. Having a south facing bedroom it is nigh on impossible to keep it cool on a warm, sunny day - and it doesn't really cool down much overnight either.

Posted

With the current blocking being repeated hopefully it'll continue into the summer with winds from the med, 25C and sunny please with occasional storms.

For me that is the worst part of summer. Having a south facing bedroom it is nigh on impossible to keep it cool on a warm, sunny day - and it doesn't really cool down much overnight either.

My south facing bedroom was like a fryer yesterday when the sun was out all day. That's a disadvantage to summer but I'm keen on a dry sunny summer after last 3 washouts.

Edited by Jamie.ed

Posted

And it is quite ironic that I absolutely detest heat and humidity...yet I am going to Florida in July! :aggressive:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Also this summer comes after an el nino, which perhaps means more settled weather?

Not sure though, just my thoughts.

LS

well 2007 followed an el nino event as did 1998...both summers as many will recall were distinctly crap..so does not always follow..mind you 1983 was a great summer following the el nino of 82..as was 2003

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I thought summer 2009 was okay, but I admit I was quite fortunate with my locations- June in Exeter had some of everything, including warm sunshine at both ends of the month, record rainfall on the 6th and storms on the 15th, July in Norwich had sunshine and convective storms and August, after a dull dry first half, was sunny and quite hot at times in the second half, especially the third week. I'm aware that much of western England in particular had a distinctly Atlantic-dominated July and August.

Summers 2007 and 2008- too much frontal rain IMHO, not enough sunshine.

I think based on the non-scientific "law of averages" we will probably get a fairly dry summer this year, and I imagine it will probably be warmer and sunnier than average as well.

I don't think there is much of a correlation between cold snowy winters and warm dry sunny summers relative to the long-term average. 1947, 1955 and to a lesser extent 1969 and 1996 were examples of where it did work, but we've also had many cold wet cloudy summers following snowy winters, e.g. 1963, 1978, 1979, 1985. Similarly the signal for El Nino summers is mixed- compare and contrast 1947 and 1983 with 1998!

Posted

What I would like to happen in the Summer is days when temperatures reach 25C or so with a cool breeze, and days with Thunderstorms. I wouldnt mind a few days above 30C like what happened last summer, during Wimbledon

Posted

Thats the worst part, the nights. Warm sunny days at 22c to 25c don't cause me many problems though. If temps can get low enough at night that is

Posted

Hi,

Was summer 1996 following of from the cold winter of 1995-96 a good summer i.e. better than the last three that we have had in terms of heat and sunshine? If that was the case would you be happy with a 1996 style summer this year as I would probably go for a 1996 style summer at the moment?

Luke

Posted

Spring and summer oh so lovely. Warm nights in the garden sipping chilled white wine talking rubbish with my mates, walks on the beach without the need for a heavy coat. Puuuurrrffeeect.

Posted

Hi,

Was summer 1996 following of from the cold winter of 1995-96 a good summer i.e. better than the last three that we have had in terms of heat and sunshine? If that was the case would you be happy with a 1996 style summer this year as I would probably go for a 1996 style summer at the moment?

Luke

The 1996 summer was slightly warmer then average;

May 9.1c (-2.2c)

June 14.4c (+0.2c)

July 16.5c (0.0c)

August 16.5 (+0.3c)

September 13.6c (-0.1c)

October 11.7c (+1.3c)

It was very sunny Summer proper and somewhat extended into October and I remember it being very showery with unsettled periods. Some great storm after the heatwave in early June (hottest spell of June weather since 1976) I seem to remember an ITN news bulletin reporting some lightning damage in London in June that year.

A couple of Northerly wet spells in August.

I would say it was quite similar to summer 2009.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Hi,

Luke

Summer 1996 was quite cool and cloudy over northern Scotland and Ireland, elsewhere it was warmer and sunnier than average, particularly in the south and east. Mean temperatures weren't much different to last summer but the maxima were generally somewhat higher and the minima lower. Across many parts of the country it was the second sunniest summer of the 1990s behind 1995. Rainfall was mostly near or slightly below normal.

All three summer months had frequent cool showery weather early and late and frequent warm anticyclonic weather in the middle, and the periods 18th-23rd July and 16th-20th August were notably hot. Thundery breakdowns occurred at the end of the July and August hot spells, while June had a notable Spanish plume event on the 7th.

So a good summer for most of those who like sunshine, modest warmth and variety, but perhaps disappointing for those looking for another 1976.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

What I would like to happen in the Summer is days when temperatures reach 25C or so with a cool breeze, and days with Thunderstorms. I wouldnt mind a few days above 30C like what happened last summer, during Wimbledon

Move to London good.giflaugh.gif

Of course I would love a long, hot, dry, sunny Summer.. nothing beats sitting outside in the sun, and then lying on the cool grass at about 10pm with the temperature still in the high teens.. gorgeous :D:) :)

I'm not too bothered about the warm nights.. being close to the city, you get used to the odd night dropping no lower than around 18C, normally it stays at about 14C though which is not too warm at all. Last year there were only a handful of uncomfortable nights during the 'heatwave' where it dropped only to about 20C on a few nights I think.. but it's a small price to pay for beautiful hot sunshine during the day.

Last year overall was definately an improvement on the last 2 summers - still pretty bad, but temperature wise, it was mainly around 21C-25c for the majority of the time.

I think that the earliest that it can get hot at is in early May - I think it was on the 3rd or 4th of May 2008 where we nearly reached 30C here.. and then in April 2007 we reached 25C or so..

Edited by robthefool

Posted

Also Joe Bastar** wrote yesterday on his blog that much of Europe will have hotter summer!!!He was perfectly right about this winter,so I think he'll be right for summer....I know that you from UK had few bad summers but we in SE Europe had pretty hot summers 2008 and 2009,and i hope that nextcoming summer will be simillar!!!

Edited by CroatianWeather