Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Looking like snow showers as early as Monday but mainly in NE England and E Scotland. A little more patchy in the south.

Posted

Sure is. And this time theses a deep cold pool just to the east biggrin.gif

Unfortunately there's isn't any deep cold pools to the east. But with a cold North sea modification will be 2c or 3c less than what we usually have so the flow will be colder. Snow showers even on the coast I should think.

Posted

UKMO 12Z looking good so far as well:

UW96-21.GIF?04-17

Is there a fax chart available for Monday 8 Feb yet to show where any front might be?

Forecasts have said about rain coming into the SW late Sunday, but I would guess with the cold pushing from the East there will be somewhere that that front will stall before being pushed back W/SW - and that could be an early snow chance.

Posted

http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/daily_ao_index/ao.sprd2.gif

http://www.cpc.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/pna/nao.sprd2.gif

Touch wood, its funny how this upcoming cold snap/spell is yet again going to coincide with a quite negative NAO + AO dry.gif . If I was ever forced to long range predict winter weather, the nao/ao would be my main tools in doing so...

Posted

Some pretty decent thicknesses near the east coast by 144hrs, down to 510 over the low countries so it would be a very cold flow and I'd imagine there'd be at least one or two disturbances rotating around in such a flow.

Posted

Add to this it is a snowy setup. These sort of charts would bring widespread snow showers inland and perhaps blizzards in the east. UKs in a aperfect position so lets hope all this doesn't get shunted southwards!

Posted

Unfortunately there's isn't any deep cold pools to the east. But with a cold North sea modification will be 2c or 3c less than what we usually have so the flow will be colder. Snow showers even on the coast I should think.

I meant towards scandinavia, ye its not excessively cold but with like you say lower ssts, Im sure it would still do the job :D

Posted

Is there a fax chart available for Monday 8 Feb yet to show where any front might be?

Forecasts have said about rain coming into the SW late Sunday, but I would guess with the cold pushing from the East there will be somewhere that that front will stall before being pushed back W/SW - and that could be an early snow chance.

The T+96 (8th) and T+120 (9th) FAX'S will be out at around 10:30pm tonight, something to watch out for given the UKMO 12z output this evening!

Posted

Both UKMO and GFS look very snowy, esp for the NE/East coast of England, and I['d be willing to bet any money there'd be a couple of troughs/fronts coming in to give more widespread snowfall for areas that don't have the easterly flow, for example the flow isn't that great for the SE but I'm pretty certain disturbances would help out here...

Places on the east coast would probably get some very big falls, very showery flow I'd imagine and not nearly as much moderation of the flow so coastal areas could do better then in recent years if that comes off.

Posted

Add to this it is a snowy setup. These sort of charts would bring widespread snow showers inland and perhaps blizzards in the east. UKs in a aperfect position so lets hope all this doesn't get shunted southwards!

It really is amazing considering the forecast of 2 days ago, astonishing that charts can turn around from 18C above 0 to struggling to get above zero.

Also, by 'east' would you put south east in the same bracket?whistling.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

erm im sorry to our east its very cold indeed so cold its been making headlines theres been nothing but cold for weeks apon weeks.

so anything like the ukmo and gfs along with the lesser models with be very exciting.:D

Posted

It really is amazing considering the forecast of 2 days ago, astonishing that charts can turn around from 18C above 0 to struggling to get above zero.

As winds turn more easterly later in the run snow showers would penetrate inland for southern areas.

Posted

UKMO 120hrs chart is a real beauty of a cold shot its got to be said, can be no doubt that its a very snowy flow, upper high looks in a superb position.

Also worth noting the 12z GFS is somewhat slower evolution then the 06z run...and a MUCH better run for the longer term of the evolution because the jet is starting to undercut again. Think this will overall be a very stonking run!

Posted

UKMO 120hrs chart is a real beauty of a cold shot its got to be said, can be no doubt that its a very snowy flow, upper high looks in a superb position.

Also worth noting the 12z GFS is somewhat slower evolution then the 06z run...and a MUCH better run for the longer term of the evolution because the jet is starting to undercut again. Think this will overall be a very stonking run!

Easterlies for widespread snow don't get much better than this!

Posted

Thank you very much UKMO 12z! I'll bank that run now please! drinks.gif

T+144: http://www.meteociel...44-21.GIF?04-17

Wow and if I thought the 120hrs was a good un, the 144hrs is quite unreal, thicknesses a good bit below 510 in the SE, would be a very snowy evolution for a good part of the country I'm pretty sure!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: mediterranean summer

yes just shows anything after +144 is guess work todays UKMO and GFS runs are very near identical at +120 i would be surprised if this evenings ECM run will look in different at +120 looking good now for a cold snap net weekdrinks.gif

Posted

Really good 12Z runs from the UKMO and GFS, both showing a strong easterly flow, uppers are certainly cold that for sure! I don't think many on here would really care if we get uppers of -10 or -15 aslong it snows.

Now we just need the ECM to come on board with its easterly flow being stronger and longer lasting than it was on this mornings run, something similar to yesterdays 12Z run will do!

Posted

Jeeez, what a stonking run from UKMO and GFS this afternoon.

Any of those verified, it would easily match the two cold spells we have had this winter...

Is it ramp time yet?

Hope the NW servers are ready for overload!

Edited by LeighShrimper