Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 22:

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Nice one LS! I hope this one deposits mega snowfall and I will then be content. :D

Next one up is the ECM and lets hope it produces a NOGAPS! (Nice- One- Guys- and- Pretty- Snowy!) :clap:

Edited by Blitzen

Posted

Great summary Lomond! drinks.gif

Hope that Edinburgh dumping comes off.

The city nearly always does well on an easterly. With a colder than normal Scandinavia and North Sea then this spell could be more severe than would otherwise be the case.

Fingers crossed for Eastern Scotland!

Posted

An Edinburgh dump would be fun, as we've not really had any great depth in the centre of town (unless I missed something over Christmas). Maybe I could ski to work up Minto St past the stranded buses whistling.gifcrazy.gif

But, you know, I'm almost missing some genuine warm sunny weather (who'd have thought I would say that in Feb shok.gif). But that's been recent summers' fault rather than this winter's...

sss

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

We are travelling up to Carrbridge for a week tomorrow evening, so I am hoping that the model's are correct, just to see what proper snow looks like.pardon.gif

Evening all. I'm off there tomorrow for the weekend.

You don't need to wait to next week for real snow up there - it's never really stopped since Christmassgood.gif

Posted

Loading up tomorrows neeps for the cattle at 4.30. this afternoon and a definite ground frost and ice appearing on melt water puddles on the remaining snow of old and last nights. Had a couple -5c frosts in the last week with little snow cover so the ground is well frozen and will freeze again very easily. Got up to max of 4c here today and currently 1c so still not very mild. The story in the Evening Express just confirms my suspicion that it will be a late spring as harsh frosts but sunny days are how I used to remember February and early March.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Just browsed your summary LSS.

Great stuff. Amazing how the actual sense in the 27 page per hour model thread can be neatly packaged into 10 lines good.gif

Off work until Monday now - woohoo!. Going to enjoy cairngorm (thanks LSS for your forecast last night that matches just perfectly with that given by http://www.mwis.org.uk/, who I find very reliable) on sat, returning sun to sit and wait for more snow biggrin.gif .

ENE? My favourite.

Posted

Brilliant : fighting breaking out on the model thread about the South East based posters not "giving a monkey's" about what weather "the North" may get ............. and they are referring to Yorkshire rolleyes.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Brilliant : fighting breaking out on the model thread about the South East based posters not "giving a monkey's" about what weather "the North" may get ............. and they are referring to Yorkshire rolleyes.gif

Came close to chucking a few of my own toys into that one...

Still got snow lying frozen on our beach-side garden this evening, when will it end? I've never before seen continuous snow cover here, now nearly 7 weeks and counting, looking like more on its way in a few days.

Posted

Yeh saw that as it developed. The fact of the matter is that none of us really care if it snows in London for example. You would not give up your own snow just cause they never got any, but as humans, people should at least have some respect for each other. We all share a common intrest and its a UK thread.

Rant over. Trust me difficult not to use slightly more colourful words but shall not lower myselfbomb.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

post-9088-12653146275688_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Just in and had a look at the ECM. I don't like it! what do you bet that the high will topple and stall over Scotland giving us freezing cold but no snow. :whistling: LS?

Posted

Oh Mi Gosh, caught some of the "MTM" too and indeed found it hard not to lower myself too.. the post that finally went OTT (IMHO) was removed so all is not lost.

Anyway overall it all signals *I think* that the charts are still holding up, and that, along with LS' brilliant summary earlier is a signal in amongst the noise..

thanks LadyP for the news article, I don't get the "Evening" anymore and have printed it off for DH to take to work, just in case.. They're getting a wee bit p'd off that they still can't get around so easily (they hire equipment have suffered a lot of cancellations already :whistling:)

PS: I think we need another acronym, for those that just can't help but get defensive about "their" cold/snow/mild [delete as appropriate] even if it's outside the reliable timeframe.. i.e. it [the cold, mild whatever..] is "agreed" upon now so +144, +168, +192 etc. *is* going to happen!! - even though FI was "fantasy island" yesterday it's "forthcoming inevitably" today..

sheesh! thank goodness for this thread is all I can say :lol: & You couldn't make it up really could you :D

Posted

An Edinburgh dump would be fun, as we've not really had any great depth in the centre of town (unless I missed something over Christmas). Maybe I could ski to work up Minto St past the stranded buses whistling.gifcrazy.gif

But, you know, I'm almost missing some genuine warm sunny weather (who'd have thought I would say that in Feb shok.gif). But that's been recent summers' fault rather than this winter's...

sss

lol - where've you been? 15 cms in the city (i.e. on the Royal Mile) morning of 23 Dec. And 5-7cms again in early Jan. A colleague of mine did ski to work - down Leith Walk!

Posted

Looking forward to possibility of more snow as the carrot nose just fell of Sunday's snowman...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

I am guilty of adding fuel to that fire, I'll be honest. The reality of it is that Scotland and the Highlands in particular will always get a lot more snow during winter, so you can't fault them for getting a bit annoyed when we're like "Uh-uh, we're going to get more and you know it".

Posted

thanks LadyP for the news article, I don't get the "Evening" anymore and have printed it off for DH to take to work, just in case.. They're getting a wee bit p'd off that they still can't get around so easily (they hire equipment have suffered a lot of cancellations already :whistling:)

PS: I think we need another acronym, for those that just can't help but get defensive about "their" cold/snow/mild [delete as appropriate] even if it's outside the reliable timeframe.. i.e. it [the cold, mild whatever..] is "agreed" upon now so +144, +168, +192 etc. *is* going to happen!! - even though FI was "fantasy island" yesterday it's "forthcoming inevitably" today..

sheesh! thank goodness for this thread is all I can say :lol: & You couldn't make it up really could you :lol:

There was a lot more in the paper - I went on the website after seeing the headline over someones shoulder on the bus!

I think FI should stand for Fookin Imaginary, tbh....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

When was the last gale we all had? Serious question :whistling:

There are quite a few Gaels in this thread.

Terrible joke, I know.

Posted

Had a really windy spell fairly recently - blew aerials & a satellite dish off next doors roof. Frightened the s**t out of me - it woke me up.

Posted

Yer neighbour needs to fasten the aerials a bit better then, Julie :whistling:

What I really meant was when the last Atlantic mini-hurricane, sub-950mb low pressure machine powering through the ocean, giving the Shipping Forecast department of the MetO a heart attack : -)

It's been cold, snowy and calm, except the Aberdeen event :lol:

Posted

:lol:

two weeks ago Saturday? I remember posting the that some tree branches had blown down and broke our Sky cable

Oh and Mondy, subtle as ever I see :lol:

MODEL THREAD:

Movement of Depressed Easterly Lovers...Threatens Here-in Realtime Eager Arctic-air Disciples

you know where to go!

Oh and Shuggee, do you think they'll listen this time? ;) I don't envy you Mods your job at times like this!

Posted

:whistling:

two weeks ago Saturday? I remember posting the that some tree branches had blown down and broke our Sky cable

That's the puppy - I was starting to think I'd imagined it!

Here's the data:

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/EGPD/2010/1/16/DailyHistory.html

Actually, the lampppost outside has started to blow about.... :lol:

Edited by LadyPakal

Posted

It'll last half an hour then it'll kick off again snooz. I don't understand why with a site containg literally hundreds of threads, people still post off topic - sheep I tell ya.

Did anyone else note yesterday's completely unexpected ice day at EDI yesterday?!