Local
Radar
Snow?

World Economy

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Gold a record high thats the best thing to have now.

Interesting where The UK rate on money for wars top 3 from 2010.

Thats where the money`s all going mainly.

http://en.wikipedia....I_Yearbook_2010

Well we're cutting that down by having carriers without planes an army without troops yet we still want to be a big player in the world.

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 1.4k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As harve has touched on, re inflation and interest rates, its a hell of complicated set up to understand correctly (nobody does imho), the news always presents it very clean, simplistically and wrong.

Go Greek strikes Go.... It's not often I support strikes, but in this I do. They are absolutely right that Greece does not need more lending. It can't afford what it owes full stop, they still need t

Afraid not, old bean; China has been a Communist People's Republic since, when, 1947? Just because it's a Tory government that's doing all the kow-towing makes not a jot of difference...But I bet that

Posted Images

Posted

Gold a record high thats the best thing to have now.

Every bubble bursts at some point.

Gold may be priced at its highest already - the 'herd' normally piles in to any stock, commodity or share when the bubble is at bursting point.

Posted

Every bubble bursts at some point.

Gold may be priced at its highest already - the 'herd' normally piles in to any stock, commodity or share when the bubble is at bursting point.

I bet Gordon Brown is frantically leaving messages on George Osborne's answering machine telling him 'Buy, buy, buy!'.

Edited by scottish skier

I bet Gordon Brown is frantically leaving messages on George Osborne's answering machine telling him 'Buy, buy, buy!'.

Yes that would show a lot about GB's prowess as an economist - sell at the bottom of the market and buy at the top. Posted Image

Posted

A quote George orwell.

"To see what is in front of someones nose is a contant struggle"

Posted

Dire German growth figures of just 0.1%. I really cannot see the Germans signing up to the eurobonds proposal! A bit of a dead duck I think.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Dire German growth figures of just 0.1%. I really cannot see the Germans signing up to the eurobonds proposal! A bit of a dead duck I think.

I do support Eurobonds however i think they are pretty meaningless unless the Eurozone becomes more unified. There will lkikely be some kind of compromise.

In regards to growth, i am getting seriously concerned that deflation may be on the way. Growth in Europe collapsing (france from 0.9% to 0% and Germany from 1.5% to 0.1%), on top that the BOE expects inflation to drop below target next year.

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

We've still got energy prices increases to hit inflation but the outlook is lower once the VAT increase drops out.

I wouldn't be suprised to see UK growth go negative.. then wait for Ed Balls to get onto his soapbox. But if the might of the Teutonic Economy is stalling then I can't see how the King of defecit denial is going to help us.

FTSE down over 1% today and Gold still going strong. I think that bubble has a long way to go before it bursts.

Edited by kar999
    Posted

Lots of hype about this candidate in the US:-

To me, he seems more consistent and principled than the rest, he wants to reduce military spending, liquidate the debt and end the Federal Reserve. Albeit I don't agree with his "free market" fundamentalism.

Edited by PersianPaladin
    Posted

I do support Eurobonds however i think they are pretty meaningless unless the Eurozone becomes more unified. There will lkikely be some kind of compromise. In regards to growth, i am getting seriously concerned that deflation may be on the way. Growth in Europe collapsing (france from 0.9% to 0% and Germany from 1.5% to 0.1%), on top that the BOE expects inflation to drop below target next year.

Yes, it's starting to look much more like the big double dipper than it did a couple of weeks or so ago!

Posted

I do support Eurobonds however i think they are pretty meaningless unless the Eurozone becomes more unified. There will lkikely be some kind of compromise.

In regards to growth, i am getting seriously concerned that deflation may be on the way. Growth in Europe collapsing (france from 0.9% to 0% and Germany from 1.5% to 0.1%), on top that the BOE expects inflation to drop below target next year.

May have been right. The French and German chiefs have apparently announced plans for greater fiscal consolidation in Europe. Eurobonds are on the way.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Hah! No chance matey, with the Tories in, energy prices and demand rising, there is no way on earth that we'll be anywhere below 4%, never mind the BOE target.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14538167

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14540818

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14545777

All of the above headlines were worryingly all today's!

Posted

Hah! No chance matey, with the Tories in, energy prices and demand rising, there is no way on earth that we'll be anywhere below 4%, never mind the BOE target.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14538167

http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-14540818

http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-14545777

All of the above headlines were worryingly all today's!

Would'nt be too sure next year.

When VAT rise is factored out next year, we are likely to see inflation around 2% even factoring in price rises. On top of this consumption is low.

Look at what happened in 2007 and 2008. Inflation shot up and then collapsed.

Already happening in Europe, GDP growth is the same. Very high, and has now collapsed.

Not saying it will happen, but there is a real, not remote possibility.

Posted

The assumptions about inflation seem a little presumptious? True VAT will drop out, but the rises in gas & electric, impending & huge fuel tax increases & continuing food inflation might suggest otherwise. We're in a bit of a cleft stick. If we go back into recession prices may well start to fall, but if we grow, prices will rise.

About time for a new index I think. Son of CPI might be along soon. How about MPPRI? Millionaire politician price rise index. It will show exactly how much we are all in this together. Yes, gas has gone up 20% but this has only impacted my spending by 0.1% so that's what we'll add.

You might think I'm having a laugh, indeed so do I but............

Edited by davehsug
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Lots of hype about this candidate in the US:-

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=pChzOaIeyxY

To me, he seems more consistent and principled than the rest, he wants to reduce military spending, liquidate the debt and end the Federal Reserve. Albeit I don't agree with his "free market" fundamentalism.

Which is arguably his single most pernicious attribute?

Posted

Would'nt be too sure next year.

When VAT rise is factored out next year, we are likely to see inflation around 2% even factoring in price rises. On top of this consumption is low.

Look at what happened in 2007 and 2008. Inflation shot up and then collapsed.

Already happening in Europe, GDP growth is the same. Very high, and has now collapsed.

Not saying it will happen, but there is a real, not remote possibility.

Indeed.... http://www.guardian....-england-letter

September 2008, the reading was 5.2% as utility firms increased prices to pass on higher wholesale costs. The same forces are at work now. In 2008, a rapid descent in the rate of inflation quickly followed. By June 2009, CPI had hit 1.8%, eventually reaching 1.1% three months later.

I'll probably be looking to cash in my NS&I Index linked Certs early after year 1 or 2.

Edited by kar999
    Posted

Indeed.... http://www.guardian....-england-letter

September 2008, the reading was 5.2% as utility firms increased prices to pass on higher wholesale costs. The same forces are at work now. In 2008, a rapid descent in the rate of inflation quickly followed. By June 2009, CPI had hit 1.8%, eventually reaching 1.1% three months later.

I'll probably be looking to cash in my NS&I Index linked Certs early after year 1 or 2.

Indeed.

I thought that they were fixed at whatever rate you bought in at? (5.5% if you got them now)

Posted

Nope. .. it's on RPI Movement + 0.5% interest FROM the two months prior to date of purchase over 5 years but you can get out after the first anniversary with RPI movement plus a tiered element of the interest. At leaset the savings are Guaranteed to beat RPI and are tax free. Cashing them in early will be gambling with any future slow down in the RATE of inflation.

The return you earn is made up of two parts – fixed interest and any positive index-linking – which we add on each anniversary of your investment.

We calculate the index-linking by using the RPI figures that apply to your Certificate at the start and end of each year of investment (not the monthly changes in between). If the index-linking is positive – ie if the RPI end level is higher than the RPI start level – then we add it to your investment. If the index-linking is negative (known as ‘deflation’) you won’t receive any index-linking. But don’t worry, we won’t reduce the value of your investment.

We calculate the fixed interest separately at the rate that applies for that year, and add that to your investment too. You’ll always receive the fixed interest so your investment is guaranteed to grow in value year on year.

http://www.nsandi.com/files/asset/images/ilscdiagram.jpg

Edited by kar999
    Posted

Nope. .. it's on RPI Movement + 0.25% interest FROM the two months prior to date of purchase over 5 years but you can get out after the first anniversary with RPI movement plus a tiered element of the interest. At leaset the savings are Guaranteed to beat RPI and are tax free. Cashing them in early will be gambling with any future slow down in the RATE of inflation.

The return you earn is made up of two parts – fixed interest and any positive index-linking – which we add on each anniversary of your investment.

We calculate the index-linking by using the RPI figures that apply to your Certificate at the start and end of each year of investment (not the monthly changes in between). If the index-linking is positive – ie if the RPI end level is higher than the RPI start level – then we add it to your investment. If the index-linking is negative (known as ‘deflation’) you won’t receive any index-linking. But don’t worry, we won’t reduce the value of your investment.

We calculate the fixed interest separately at the rate that applies for that year, and add that to your investment too. You’ll always receive the fixed interest so your investment is guaranteed to grow in value year on year.

http://www.nsandi.com/files/asset/images/ilscdiagram.jpg

You are correct, although the ones now are 0.5% +RPI from two months before.

Still a decent investment over the next year.

Posted

My mistake .. I meant to type 0.5% interest!(original post now corrected)

The ones withdrawn last year, through over subscription, were 1% and not limited to £15k per person.

Edited by kar999
    Posted

My mistake .. I meant to type 0.5% interest!(original post now corrected)

The ones withdrawn last year, through over subscription, were 1% and not limited to £15k per person.

The best thing is that it is tax free, makes you wonder why anybody would get an ISA if they could get this.

Posted

Footsie down nearly 3% ...... That's another few thousand wiped off my pension pot compounded by falling annuity rates. Oh for a final salary pension scheme.... I knew I should have been a teacher. Posted Image

European markets are sharply lower across the board, as US investment bank Morgan Stanley warned that both the US and Europe are dangerously close to moving back into a recession.

Morgan Stanley has cut its forecast for global economic growth in 2011, having been less than impressed with Europe's response to its sovereign debt crisis. The bank is now forecasting growth of 3.9%, down from its previous estimate of 4.2% growth.

Edited by kar999
    Posted

Footsie down nearly 3% ...... That's another few thousand wiped off my pension pot compounded by falling annuity rates. Oh for a final salary pension scheme.... I knew I should have been a teacher. Posted Image

European markets are sharply lower across the board, as US investment bank Morgan Stanley warned that both the US and Europe are dangerously close to moving back into a recession.

Morgan Stanley has cut its forecast for global economic growth in 2011, having been less than impressed with Europe's response to its sovereign debt crisis. The bank is now forecasting growth of 3.9%, down from its previous estimate of 4.2% growth.

3.9% !! I'd have thought that more than a little optimistic!

It's grim out there.

Gold currently at $1818, the Dax approaching -5%

Posted

Down nearly 3.5% now.

Thankfully I've got a guaranteed transfer value for my pension fund (to transfer cash into a SIPP) that doesn't run out until the end of Sept, I am selfishly wishing for the market to fall as much as possible so that I can bottom feed and pick up some bargains.

Posted

Where’s the bottom though?

I didn’t think it was rock bottom and I haven’t got time to share pick, but I put a few bob on an ETF FTSE tracker when the market turned last week at 5100. It did go up, but I’ve held onto it hoping for a bigger recovery. It’s heading back down below that mark now. I'll have to treat this punt as another round of "pound cost averaging" rather than a quick return.

Edited by kar999