Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

World Economy

Posted

Saudi market closed down 5%, Dubai down 3.7% and Israel down 7%

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 1.4k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As harve has touched on, re inflation and interest rates, its a hell of complicated set up to understand correctly (nobody does imho), the news always presents it very clean, simplistically and wrong.

Go Greek strikes Go.... It's not often I support strikes, but in this I do. They are absolutely right that Greece does not need more lending. It can't afford what it owes full stop, they still need t

Afraid not, old bean; China has been a Communist People's Republic since, when, 1947? Just because it's a Tory government that's doing all the kow-towing makes not a jot of difference...But I bet that

Posted Images

Posted

Saudi market closed down 5%, Dubai down 3.7% and Israel down 7%

The far east has opened now, so let's see what they think of the mess in the west!

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

Yep. Far East will perhaps be a good barometer as the Arab markets were closed Friday and playing catch-up to some degree.

Posted

I doubt they will and I am not sure it will help if the ECB buy Italian and Spanish debt. The message this will give out to the markets is that these countries are reliant on the ECB, normal buyers will leave the market. It will be a bit like someone insisting that they don't suffer from depression but then admitting that they take anti-depression tablets from the doctors. i.e it will make the problem real.

The only real solution is for the governments involved to tackle the issue head on in a believable way (and for Germany to admit that it can't steal all the work for exporters across the entire EU).

I think a gentle 1-2 % drop tomorrow, unless somebody does or says something really stupid.

Gold up a touch, oil up a touch as well on the assumption that the US and UK might start a further round of QE.

Markets impacted by higher inflation will be hit as investors accept that negative yields are even more likely now.

Posted

The market needs action, not talks. They need some clear guarantees that the Euro zone can pay its debts, and that means the German taxpayer taking the hit through the ECB.

Posted

Gold up $27 in 15mins = $1690 a new high / GBP = £129 a new GBP high. Thats + 1.5%!

Volatile I think will be the word today, I expect the profit takers are looking for a reason to sell too at these levels :cc_confused:

Edited by HighPressure
    Posted

Unsuprisingly the ECB had little choice but to buy Italian and Spanish bonds. The markets want to see action rather than words that just evaporate a few days and weeks later.

FRANKFURT | Sun Aug 7, 2011 10:55pm BST

FRANKFURT (Reuters) - The European Central Bank said on Sunday it would "actively implement" its controversial bond-buying programme to fight the euro zone's debt crisis, signalling it will buy Spanish and Italian government bonds to halt financial market contagion.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/08/07/uk-crisis-ecb-idUKTRE7762PG20110807

Edited by kar999
    Posted

FTSE yo-yo time. Down....Up....Down (now down 0.67%).

Italy and Spain looking perky on their Uppers. Throwing money at them can't really be the answer can it? They're both in a mess politically and in the longer term will not be able or willing to introduce the necessary austerity measures. More money down the drain ....and the tin can a bit further down the road in my view.

Edit: Everything apart from Spain now heading South quite rapidly. Ftse -1.3%

Edited by Kiwi
    Posted

All the volume trading is on the banks... except Vodafone (Hot tip recently)

http://www.hl.co.uk/shares/stock-market-summary/ftse-100/top-volume

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Well, watching all those Stock Brokers running round like headless chickens, it's sure good to know that the world's economy is in such good hands...

One more time folks, say it for Dave: we're all in it together! :rolleyes:

Posted

Well, watching all those Stock Brokers running round like headless chickens, it's sure good to know that the world's economy is in such good hands...

One more time folks, say it for Dave: we're all in it together! :rolleyes:

Well at least you didn't use your other famous catch phrase Pete... Same Old Tories! :whistling:

I'm afraid many of us are all in this together. The pensions of millions of us rich and poor alike, without final salary schemes, depend on the markets and whether the Eurocrats and US politicans can do more than just say it'll be alright.

Edited by kar999

Markets going down again - strangely enough the main currency markets haven't changed that much to date. I expect everybody is waiting for the opening of Wall Street.

Now, I read over the weekend that the Chinese have made a call for the US Dollar to be replaced by a new world unit of currency as an international means of doing business to replace the dollar under these circumstances.

Posted

Markets going down again - strangely enough the main currency markets haven't changed that much to date. I expect everybody is waiting for the opening of Wall Street.

Now, I read over the weekend that the Chinese have made a call for the US Dollar to be replaced by a new world unit of currency as an international means of doing business to replace the dollar under these circumstances.

Yes the ftse is just mirroring the Dow futures at the moment.

Are you advocating the euro by any chance Mike??!

Edited by Kiwi

Yes the ftse is just mirroring the Dow futures at the moment.

Are you advocating the euro by any chance Mike??!

No - the Euro for Europe and the US Dollar for the USA but I can see the point the Chinese are trying to make - for example the world price of oil is in US Dollars per barrel and with the recent dowgrading I can understand why they are getting a bit twitchy since they have so many themselves.

Posted

Well well well. I dip in and out of this arena but read it a fair bit. I rather wonder if today will become a new black monday with much of the action seeming to be based on America and how they do this PM (opens in 45 mins), there is a risk I suppose that all of this is copy cat share selling, afterall Asia could well have set a reasonable start to the week after US closed up on Friday.

I do wonder slightly in my mind if these so called credit rating agencies dont make a wonga of a profit behind their headlines...put a few contracts on order, make the announcment, watch the quids come rolling in (or dollars in S&P's case). It does seem surprising that a rating agency can have so much play in market announcements.

Was there not one stage when the Dow lost 600 points in about 10 minutes a year or so ago (which was later found to be a glitch in some selling of shares)....I wonder if that will be seen for real this PM. On the other hand they could always swallow some positivism and focus on direct investment in the country.

Note the swiss franc has had a rally today, new safe haven.

Posted

Follow the leader... The DOW is falling so the FTSE is below 5100 now at 5066 -3.4%. I wouldn't be suprised if it doesnt't go sub 5000 before the buyers come back for a quick rally.

Edited by kar999
    Posted

Mainly miners and commodities taking the biggest falls. That suggests to me a fear of a global reduction in general demand.

http://www.hl.co.uk/shares/stock-market-summary/ftse-100/fallers

Edited by kar999
    Posted

This all just reminds me of last time during the global financial crisis. It all becomes a sort of self-fulfilling prophecy when in the real-world away from the markets nothing has actually changed. Its like Northern Rock where the media said they might not be able to raise finance, then fear kicked in, the queues formed and even though nothing had actually changed they were then insolvent and needed bailing out. I cant help but feel we're seeing the same thing with nations soverign debts: the markets fear they might not be able to raise bonds, fear kicks in so interest rates rise, then the countries actually cant raise bonds and we have the situation where the thing the markets 'feared' actually happens and it essentially came out of nothing. As a result millions suffer and all the while nothing has actually really happened.

Its all a lot of nonsense really isnt it.

• Like 1
    Posted

Its all a lot of nonsense really isnt it.

Not really... The emporer really does not have any clothes. The banks had invented complex derivatives and then suddenly someone realised they were insolvent. The sea of Sovereign debt is just as real. Even after years of gardening I've yet to cultivate a money tree.

But yes... fear does breed fear and then panic.

Edited by kar999
    Posted

Even after years of gardening I've yet to cultivate a money tree.

That'll come as a blow to the ECB!!, but in the meantime I'm sure I can hear the printing presses firing up.

• Like 1
    Posted

What a depressing evening. Riots on the streets in London and;

Meltdown in US with the Dow falling 5.5%. Bank of America and Citigroup fell more than 15% Doesn't bode well for London tomorrow, where sentiment will also be dampened by the ongoing riots.

FTSE futures looking grim and currently sitting at -7%!! Promises to be a cheerful Tuesday morning then!

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

What a depressing evening. Riots on the streets in London and;

Meltdown in US with the Dow falling 5.5%. Bank of America and Citigroup fell more than 15% Doesn't bode well for London tomorrow, where sentiment will also be dampened by the ongoing riots.

FTSE futures looking grim and currently sitting at -7%!! Promises to be a cheerful Tuesday morning then!

FTSE has now lost over 15% since the beggining of the year and over 10% in the past 4 days. In official terms, this is an official stock market crash.

7% would be truly shocking!

This is definitely a problem, because last week was soverign debt and weaker than expected USA growth however this week seems to be ratings downgrade plus general endgame fear (NASDAQ collapsed by 6.9% indicating high end technological retail figures are expected to plop).

Market should bottom out tommorow or wednesday, if it does not then i expect the UK, USA and Europe to record negative growth in Q3 due to financial feedback.