Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

I think Ive posted this on every thread in the North but anyway prectypeuktopo.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

I think Ive posted this on every thread in the North but anyway prectypeuktopo.png

WOW drinks.gif

Posted

The showers are now moving south I think dry.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

The morning of 24th December 1996- snow showers into late Christmas Eve, a white Christmas 4cm.

Are you sure you're not confusing it with Christmas 1995? In Cleadon I remember a spell of snow on Christmas Eve, which gave about 3-4cm, and then on Christmas Day there were heavy blowing snow showers down the east coast, increasing totals to 8cm, but the showers didn't penetrate very far inland except briefly around mid-afternoon so many inland parts may well have stayed dry on Christmas Day.

I recall a dull dry day on Christmas Eve 1996 followed by sunshine and rain showers on Christmas Day, plus a five minute flurry of sleet that evening which made it a bookies' white Christmas, although inland parts of the region had mainly snow showers.

Posted

You may be right I will dig out my photos my memory is not so good these days and I'm a little confused after reading every single post on the Model thread over the last few days time to give it a rest I think until next Thursday or Friday. :doh:

Posted

Looking good for some snow on tuesday afternoon according to gfs,as the cold air spreads back down from the north.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Looks like a high ground event tonight/early tomorrow. Wednesday looks better for lower areas.

Met Office saying...

Frosty, icy Tuesday night. Dry Wednesday, sunny spell at first, but clouding up, rain, sleet and snow by evening, some heavy falls of snow possible overnight. Milder with rain Friday.

According to GFS charts snow level tonight looks to be around 200-400m, my guess would be around 200m, with about 300m for anything settling.

Wednesday though looks like snow down to sea level which could be good for us all.

EDIT: Just checked temps and dewpoints for tonight and I think the snow level could be higher than my guess, maybe not settling below 500m. Dewpoints and temps look around 2c overnight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

While I can easily have a "fill" of cloudy snowy weather (1-2 weeks tops and I start fancying a change) I get the impression that it would take a phenomenal amount of bright snowy weather to give me a "fill" of it. I really didn't think I could come through a month and a half like this and still find myself wishing for a lot more!

Looks like many parts of your area will indeed have a snow event on Wednesday night but turning to rain at low levels for Thursday.

Posted

While I can easily have a "fill" of cloudy snowy weather (1-2 weeks tops and I start fancying a change) I get the impression that it would take a phenomenal amount of bright snowy weather to give me a "fill" of it. I really didn't think I could come through a month and a half like this and still find myself wishing for a lot more!

Looks like many parts of your area will indeed have a snow event on Wednesday night but turning to rain at low levels for Thursday.

TWS tonight looks like rain maybe sleet if im lucky sadly but this wednesday night event looks preety impressive to me looks like quite a lot of snow possible and im hoping the rain will only be temporay on the backedge for 30mins-1hr tops

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

TWS tonight looks like rain maybe sleet if im lucky sadly but this wednesday night event looks preety impressive to me looks like quite a lot of snow possible and im hoping the rain will only be temporay on the backedge for 30mins-1hr tops

I'm honestly surprised no warnings have been put out for Wednesday night - it looks like snow for most of northeast Britain http://charts.netweather.tv/gfsimages/gfs.20100201/12/60/prectypeuktopo.png

Hopefully if it stays heavy and starts as snow then it will stay that way for most of the night.

Posted

I'm honestly surprised no warnings have been put out for Wednesday night - it looks like snow for most of northeast Britain http://charts.netwea...ctypeuktopo.png

Hopefully if it stays heavy and starts as snow then it will stay that way for most of the night.

I know looks like very heavy stuff 5-20cm? hopefully we wont get rain on backedge! and if it does become warmer it can melt in its own time dry.gif Anyways tonight i thought there was no chance of snow but its 3C and dew point is -1.7C dry.gif

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

I know looks like very heavy stuff 5-20cm? hopefully we wont get rain on backedge! and if it does become warmer it can melt in its own time dry.gif Anyways tonight i thought there was no chance of snow but its 3C and dew point is -1.7C dry.gif

Sorry but the Dp's will start to rise as the warm front approaches. Just happened here dew's are up to +0.3°C from well below as they've been all day. Snow is thawing rapidly from my North facing side of the roof as i can here the drip, drip , drip....!!! Surface temps are around 3°C so any ppn here will be sleet then turning quickly to rain before the colder air digs back in from the North then wednesday event forecast to bring moderate snow for a few hours then turning back to rain... thats as far as i would dare forecast as what happens next is anybody's guess. Models are still dangling that proverbial carrot in front of our faces and as always chasing that elusive 'easterly in Fantasy La'La' Land...'

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Yeah its a pity about the timing, it looks like by dawn on Thursday it may have lost its nice fresh quality already with rain spoiling it :) Hopefully that will change :pardon:

Next week's beasterly is back on the cards for the time being :)

Posted

Sorry but the Dp's will start to rise as the warm front approaches. Just happened here dew's are up to +0.3°C from well below as they've been all day. Snow is thawing rapidly from my North facing side of the roof as i can here the drip, drip , drip....!!! Surface temps are around 3°C so any ppn here will be sleet then turning quickly to rain before the colder air digs back in from the North then wednesday event forecast to bring moderate snow for a few hours then turning back to rain... thats as far as i would dare forecast as what happens next is anybody's guess. Models are still dangling that proverbial carrot in front of our faces and as always chasing that elusive 'easterly in Fantasy La'La' Land...'

Really temps and Dew Point going down here temp now 2.8C and dew point -1.9C

Yeah its a pity about the timing, it looks like by dawn on Thursday it may have lost its nice fresh quality already with rain spoiling it sad.gif Hopefully that will change biggrin.gif

Next week's beasterly is back on the cards for the time being smile.gif

Hopefully it can stay as snow all the way through! whistling.gif Or only 30mins-1hr worth of backedge rain and we cud escape without losing the covering whistling.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Really temps and Dew Point going down here temp now 2.8C and dew point -1.9C

Hopefully it can stay as snow all the way through! whistling.gif Or only 30mins-1hr worth of backedge rain and we cud escape without losing the covering whistling.gif

A dec 2008 event would suit me completely, a couple of inches on the back of yet another really good cold snap, even if the snow cover only lasted Friday - Monday. I know it hasn't melted yet but it will have either done so or turned to ice by tomorrow.

Posted

The potential for some heavy snow on Wednesday at all levels over NE England is increasing by the hour it seems, the front looks like it is going to take a bit longer than first thought to move into the region, which crucially allows for the colder air to stay in situ for longer, also the flow behind the front is looking more southerly rather than south westerly, uppers behind it won't be that high. Indeed the BBC have just showed alot of snow for NE England and S Scotland. Another feature is winds are going to be light and the front isn't going to move fast, it could stall even and develop waves.. one to watch..

I'm hoping the potential upgrades further, fully expect an advisory tomorrow for much of Scotland, NE England and Cumbria. Could be about to see one of those surprise frontal snowfalls..

Posted

The potential for some heavy snow on Wednesday at all levels over NE England is increasing by the hour it seems, the front looks like it is going to take a bit longer than first thought to move into the region, which crucially allows for the colder air to stay in situ for longer, also the flow behind the front is looking more southerly rather than south westerly, uppers behind it won't be that high. Indeed the BBC have just showed alot of snow for NE England and S Scotland. Another feature is winds are going to be light and the front isn't going to move fast, it could stall even and develop waves.. one to watch..

I'm hoping the potential upgrades further, fully expect an advisory tomorrow for much of Scotland, NE England and Cumbria. Could be about to see one of those surprise frontal snowfalls..

When will it start roughly? and how long will it last roughly? How much we looking at atm ? :whistling: I know a lot of questions but any rough ideas much appreaciated blush.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Snowing here quite heavily and settling too.

Here's the advisory for tomorrow...

There is a moderate risk of severe weather affecting the north Midlands, northern England and southern and central Scotland on Wednesday.

Snow spreading from the southwest during the afternoon and evening may give accumulations of 5-12 cm over hills and up to 5 cm at lower levels.

Issued at: 0315 Tue 2 Feb

Posted

About an hour ago ppn turned to sleet then hail, colder air making its presence felt a little sooner than progged....

Could do with some mild air or even dry air..!! Absolutley awful outdoors, wet slushy muck, going to be hazardous over the next couple of days with ice snow returning.....

Posted
  • Location: Near Stocksfield, Northumberland @ 850ft 25miles from north sea
  • Location: Near Stocksfield, Northumberland @ 850ft 25miles from north sea

Had about an inch here since 7:30am today. Unexpected as rain was forcast!

Snowing heavy now with massive flakes (9:50)

Edited by tynevalleywinter

Posted

sleet turned to snow here when i was at the bus stop at about 8:20 :drinks:, been snowing non stop since but not making much of an attempt to settle at the minute.