Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold

Back to light precip here. It really needs to start properly otherwise it'll just be a waste of time tonight! A dusting to a cm cover it would seem.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Some sslightly heavier stuff now a dusting starting in 10min ill update again Back to lighter stuff now nothing as yet on ground apart from on a wall a very small sugar dusting rolleyes.gif

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Seems to be pushing quite a fair way inland around Sunderland- oddly it's as if the band is heading slightly west as well as south, even though the surface wind is west of due north.

Could there be a very shallow low pressure in there somewhere?

Looking at the radar loop closely there looks like a swirl, especially from 23:00 to 00:00, about 10-15 miles out to sea. Maybe it's nothing but I would have thought if there was even a tiny low in there it would help the PPN to move west.

Pleased to see those further east getting a good dumping, I'm enjoying watching the Tyne Tunnel cams, especially A19 approach on the north side...

http://www.tt2.co.uk/web-cams.php

Roads totally white!

Looking a little better for a covering here before long too :)

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Could there be a very shallow low pressure in there somewhere?

Looking at the radar loop closely there looks like a swirl, especially from 23:00 to 00:00, about 10-15 miles out to sea. Maybe it's nothing but I would have thought if there was even a tiny low in there it would help the PPN to move west.

Pleased to see those further east getting a good dumping, I'm enjoying watching the Tyne Tunnel cams, especially A19 approach on the north side...

http://www.tt2.co.uk/web-cams.php

Roads totally white!

Looking a little better for a covering here before long too :)

Yes i noticed that earlier Mark, i said to my daughter "look theres a 'Snownado' out at sea!"

post-5386-12648122544088_thumb.txt

The 'old' NW 5 min radar.

Posted

How come raintoday radar hasnt updated since the midnight update?

Posted

A bit of a dusting here now and the snow is very dry. Temperature dropping too, down to -0.9 from -0.2 twenty or so minutes ago.

How come raintoday radar hasnt updated since the midnight update?

You need to manually refresh after a while.

Posted

A bit of a dusting here now and the snow is very dry. Temperature dropping too, down to -0.9 from -0.2 twenty or so minutes ago.

You need to manually refresh after a while.

I have and finally some heavier stuff and now a dusting on ground at last!

Posted

Hello,over an inch has fell since about 11.45,it looks like diamond chips floating about and just started to get heavier.Im in sunderland BTW.

Posted

Hello,over an inch has fell since about 11.45,it looks like diamond chips floating about and just started to get heavier.Im in sunderland BTW.

Welcome to the forum! :)

What i can't understand is why the met office didn't include tyne and wear in the flash warning.The snow is obviously moving in from the sea so it would seem logical to include all areas near the coast for the flash warning instead of just the advisory.

Posted

Im very gutted atm only a sugar dusting barely wallbash.gif am i going to see any decent snow tonight? blush.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

So hows the NE doing? Just finished snowing after 30 mins or so, but kinda wet snow on the coast so taking a while to accumulate in places then factor in the gusty wind. After half an hour I'd expect more than 1cm. :)

Posted

What i can't understand is why the met office didn't include tyne and wear in the flash warning.

They always do this in the North East. They will exclude Tyneside and Teesside, just on the presumption that more urban areas won't see the snow accumulating as much.

Posted

Im very gutted atm only a sugar dusting barely wallbash.gif am i going to see any decent snow tonight? blush.gif

Snowstorm1, I'm quite surprised, we have a decent covering here, I'm 6 miles from the coast so maybe that helped alittle, although it has slowed down alittle, its still blowing around in the wind, I reckon Redcar and other costal areas have done very well here.

Posted

Snowstorm1, I'm quite surprised, we have a decent covering here, I'm 6 miles from the coast so maybe that helped alittle, although it has slowed down alittle, its still blowing around in the wind, I reckon Redcar and other costal areas have done very well here.

Im very gutted and lost quite a bit of hope cray.gif

Posted

They always do this in the North East. They will exclude Tyneside and Teesside, just on the presumption that more urban areas won't see the snow accumulating as much.

County Durham ftw! Or not...

It's all getting a bit tedious now. As soon as it looks on the radar as though we might get a heavier spell it startrs to dissipate and it stays light. Waste of time tonight, I think I may as well go to bed.

Posted

Its now been snowing for over 2hrs now and most of the time the snowfall has been very heavy, (intensity has just pepped up again) just measured the accumulation in 3 separate places and all three measure 11cm...!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

County Durham ftw! Or not...

It's all getting a bit tedious now. As soon as it looks on the radar as though we might get a heavier spell it startrs to dissipate and it stays light. Waste of time tonight, I think I may as well go to bed.

I wouldn't give up yet, looks like we should get some quite heavy snow soon.

Even if it missed I've still enjoyed an unexpected night of radar and lamppost watching!

EDIT: Wow 11cm! Who would have thought some of us would get that much tonight!

Posted

North East England: Darlington Durham Hartlepool Middlesbrough Redcar + Cleveland Stockton-on-Tees Tyne + WearHeavy Snow0114 Sat 300600 Sat 30Snow showers will continue across parts of northeast England during the early hours of this morning, giving further accumulations of 5cm in places, and locally more than 10cm, especially near coasts. This may lead to icy stretches on untreated surfaces.

The public are advised to take extra care and refer to the Highways Agency for further advice on traffic disruption on motorways and trunk roads.

Issued at: 0116 Sat 30 Jan

And broken clouds now wallbash.gif i just hope tomoz wen i wake up i have good covering

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted

I'd say 11cm is a very good return for tonight.

I can;t see more than 1cm here by the morning. Still I can't really be disappointed because I wasn't expecting anything anyway!

Hopefully this upcoming cold spell will deliver and we'll all get our fair share next week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Its now been snowing for over 2hrs now and most of the time the snowfall has been very heavy, (intensity has just pepped up again) just measured the accumulation in 3 separate places and all three measure 11cm...!!!

This confirms that the snow streamer is every bit as phenomenal as the radar suggests (the radar has had intense snowfall centred over the South Shields area for 2 hours). 11cm in 2 hours is truly remarkable.

Posted

This confirms that the snow streamer is every bit as phenomenal as the radar suggests (the radar has had intense snowfall centred over the South Shields area for 2 hours). 11cm in 2 hours is truly remarkable.

And teeside has a dusting wallbash.gif now broken clouds any decent snow going to come or not? unknw.gif

Posted

Hello,thanks for the welcome,heres a picture from the bathroom window about half an hour ago,its -1.2 here.

Posted

North East England: Darlington Durham Hartlepool Middlesbrough Redcar + Cleveland Stockton-on-Tees Tyne + WearHeavy Snow0114 Sat 300600 Sat 30Snow showers will continue across parts of northeast England during the early hours of this morning, giving further accumulations of 5cm in places, and locally more than 10cm, especially near coasts. This may lead to icy stretches on untreated surfaces.

The public are advised to take extra care and refer to the Highways Agency for further advice on traffic disruption on motorways and trunk roads.

Issued at: 0116 Sat 30 Jan

And broken clouds now wallbash.gif i just hope tomoz wen i wake up i have good covering

yep stopped here now, clearing skys, I reckon thats it for the time being, let it freeze over for a while before the next shower.