Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Radar V5 New Version Online

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

It's not bad actually...I knew that last night's snow was coming - before it arrived! :nonono: :nonono:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Bartlett style mild and benign

Nice work fellas. Looking forward to the fully-featured release.

BTW anyone know why the GFS overlays arn't working on the V4?

Posted

They're switched off currently I'm afraid - they went nuts yesterday and caused the server to have a bit of a fit so we're looking into the reasons why before bringing them back, which is likely to be a day or so..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Any idea of when this will replace v4? Other than the IE issue, it's very promising indeed. Well done guys!

Posted

Unfortunately i can't get it to work on Internet Explorer, it just crashes and grinds my computer to a complete halt.

Posted
I would ask that you post bug reports and issues via the form only though so we can keep them in one place and track any issues properly.

Connor, as per the above, please can you report it as a bug from the contact page on the radar, with details of which version of ie you're using and what at what stage it's causing a problem.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Looking very good!

One thing I noticed however is that if you change the opacity to say 100% and then change the time, the opacity will go back to about 50% or whatever it was originally. If this can be kept the same throughout then that would be brilliant :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme!

Fantastic upgrade to the radar, just what I hoped it would become. Looking forward to more features being added soon. I may even extend my sub beyond the winter :bad:

The only thing that slightly bothers me is that because the map is now a lot busier, with more roads and geographical info, if the precip is light and scattered it can be quite hard to see using the precip type option (even with the opacity at 100%). I presume that unless you made the map yourselves that some of the detail would be difficult to remove, like the minor roads and forests, but it could make it easier to read.

Overall a massive improvement though, well done :lol:

Posted

I must be looking at something else entirely. Tried using the V5 3 times and everytime just a simple zoom-in click has sent my system crashing, resulting in me having to go for the restart button. I have a modern IE8 23gb free computer, no programs that would cause it to crash like this, yet it continually does it.

Not too encouraging for the future, I hope the option of keeping the V4 will still be there in 5 years time as I dont want to pay for a top-of-the-range computer simply to be able to access a RADAR coverage that should be publically accessible (considering people have already paid the money to use it.)

Posted

Doesn't seem to work very well on my rig. Frames very slow to load and sometimes don't load properly at all.

The good news is the old version is still online and works perfectly. Very fast, efficient and reliable- just what I need from a radar.

The look and feel of the new version is an improvement granted, but without the speed and sharpness of the old style it's a thumbs down from me. Sorry guys.

Edited by NorthantsSnow

Posted

Just been told to scrap the IE8 for the RADAR and the advice is perfect. Google Chrome is the best explorer to use for this V5 update, no wonder it was acting up with IE8 lagging as it was.

Looks like I wont have to be buying a 500 quid computer afterall, very much pleased with the new graphics now (I can see what the fuss is about.) The only thing I can say is will the V5.2 be having a smoothed-effect as in V4 offers?, this is extremely pleasing to the eye as opposed to the pixelated RADAR viewing and gives a more MetO feel to the traditional colours (although I know its a NW service.)

Edited by SNOW_JOKE

Posted

Hi guys, as requested above please send us bug reports via the page - you'll also see there's a list of confirmed bugs on there one of which is the ie slow down issue.

NorthantsSnow, don't forget that this is a beta version - it has bugs and issues and is a long way from the finished product :drinks:

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Have to admit i still use the 'old' version at the minute (shame the GFS overlays are causing problems with the server) as my geography aint to bad, but where i do think the 'new' version will come into its own when the storms arrive as it will be a great aid for chasing and pin-point specific towns where a storm is likely to hit. Great work Paul/Karl and all involved pretty sure the finished article will be the envy of all weather sites and particularly the MetO:whistling:.....

Posted

Hi guys, as requested above please send us bug reports via the page - you'll also see there's a list of confirmed bugs on there one of which is the ie slow down issue.

NorthantsSnow, don't forget that this is a beta version - it has bugs and issues and is a long way from the finished product :)

I'm not using IE myself, I'm on Firefox 3.5.7. And good to hear, I'm sure the finished product will be a lot more stable.

Posted

Beta 2 is now online with a number of bug fixes / improvements.. Please note though that this still isn't a finished product, there will be several more versions prior to it becoming stable/final.

Posted

Even on the current radar, when will you be fixing the precipitation type? I have found it very inaccurate especially over the past month. If you look now it shows all that band as rain, reports of heavy snow all over..

Why is it so wrong?

would love to know if this will change

thanks paul

Posted

Must admit, that's the opposite to the other feedback we've been getting about the prec type - it's generally been regarding as very good of late. Looking at today, it's showing a rain/snow mix across the northwest and scotland, with snow being shown over parts of northern Ireland, so ties up well with the reports I'm seeing.

Posted

Must admit, that's the opposite to the other feedback we've been getting about the prec type - it's generally been regarding as very good of late. Looking at today, it's showing a rain/snow mix across the northwest and scotland, with snow being shown over parts of northern Ireland, so ties up well with the reports I'm seeing.

Hi mate,

NW regional thread, reporting snow, and heavy snow.

Snowing in sheffield area too, yet it shows sleet/rain all over.

So it's way off the mark, the other night it showed rain for me, it was snowing. So it's not that accurate? may i ask.. does your radar take information off the GFS output for example, isotherm, upper 850s and surface temps/dew points and then base the precip type on that information?

post-2644-12652120689088_thumb.gif

cheers

Posted

It's showing a rain/snow mix not sleet - there are reports of both rain and snow from the northwest of england currently so it's not as far out as you may think. It's never going to be 100% in terms of local conditions. It's actually showing rain/snow mix just outside sheffield with rain currently directly over sheffield but that may update soon. When you say way out, you're also missing the areas that are spot on - ie the rest of northern england, scotland and northern ireland..

Posted

It's showing a rain/snow mix not sleet - there are reports of both rain and snow from the northwest of england currently so it's not as far out as you may think. It's never going to be 100% in terms of local conditions. It's actually showing rain/snow mix just outside sheffield with rain currently directly over sheffield but that may update soon. When you say way out, you're also missing the areas that are spot on - ie the rest of northern england, scotland and northern ireland..

I just expected accuracy to be a little better,it went through a period at one point where it was spot on with everything.

I suppose it's struggling with so many different types of precip, everywhere East of the penines will see it falling as snow this evening, i'll keep an eye on it, and update you with what i get when it hits

mate.

Keep up the good work mate,

btw you never got back to me on that job :) i was hoping to sink my teeth in writing forecasts for the yorkshire and lincs region.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Since down loading google crome the forum text seem smaller or certainly different?

Edited by SteveB