Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Mole Invasion

Posted

Because of the recent snowy and cold weather, I've been neglecting my garden a little. Anyway, I decided to have a little peep at my back garden this morning, to see how the grass was looking, and I was shocked to find that umpteen mole hills have appeared from out of nowhere. Does anyone know the best way to get rid of these things? I was quite proud of how my grass looked during the summer- if I'd erected some floodlights, It could easily have been mistaken for Wembley stadium :D now, however, it looks in a rather sorry state :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Break glass bottles in half, sand and place neck (not sharp) side down into the mole hill.

As the wind blows over the top it funnels sound down into the hole through the neck and the moles move on, neighbours up the road did this and the moles moved out into the fields.

Edited by Dartmoor_Matt

Posted

Break glass bottles in half, sand and place neck (not sharp) side down into the mole hill.

As the wind blows over the top it funnels sound down into the hole through the neck and the moles move on, neighbours up the road did this and the moles moved out into the fields.

Thanks DM :unsure: Sounds like a good excuse to buy some bottles of beer too. I'll tell the MRS :ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

We've had a few mole problems in late spring.Apparently moles are very territorial and Papa mole kicks out all the boys at this time and so we end up with vagrants in the flower beds.

Though apparently not tasty the cat's see off a fair number of them....which is sad as they are really cute critters.

The fact you have them should make you feel good about the quality of your soil and the number of worms to be had there!!!! I know this is no consolation for us 'lawn proud' individuals though.

I've also hear of kiddies windmills being stuck down into their runs to cause a racket and drive them off so I'd try out the noise pollution before looking into 'mole catching'.

Put their 'hills' into seed trays and sow with grass seed. once they are gone you will have spare 'patches' to insert over the messed up ground (I always keep a couple of trays on the go as Molly dog's pee seems to be some kind of canine grass killer)

Edited by Gray-Wolf

Posted

Thanks for that GW :drinks:

Killing animals isn't my style, so I'd prefer the kindest method where possible.

It's interesting that you mention about the soil quality because where there are mole hills it looks in fantastic condition and, I'm sure, once I've managed to cleared the moles away from my garden,the grass will soon recover

Do you happen to know when is the best time for sowing grass seed?

Brian