Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The PIT

Police Wasting Their Time And Money

Queue "**** off and catch some burglars" :lol:

fairly typical of Ayrshires and every other counties "finest"

It's like when pull up at lights they've just changed to red so you have a quick drink. hand brake on in neutral but if a copper sees you can be done for it. Yet you get people jumping red lights and they don't blink at it just sit and don't bother about it.

No, they are wasting OUR time and OUR money. Most cops are ok, but I do believe that there is an element of 'showing us who's boss' in many of these type of incidents.

I see it as more of a law/policy problem. We are in the process of clamping down on driving distractions, which in moderation is a good thing, because distractions can be a major source of accidents, possibly more so than speed for example. But as with most rules, if we take the policy too far we run into a law of diminishing returns where increasingly, large amounts of liberty are curbed for the sake of tiny risk reductions. The cynic in me suggests that there's a policy line out there to do this to motorists as a means of deterring car use.

Unless there are guidelines on what should and shouldn't be allowed it leaves the door wide open for police officers to implement very stringent interpretations of the rules, whether for purposes of achieving extra arrests or appearing to "look hard".

I think this business just beggers belief, I thought the police were meant to be trying to foster good relations with the public. I am not sure if Scottish law is different to english law but if the procurator fiscal procedes with this case he deserves to lose his job, as to the policeman-words fail me.

Many drivers could face £60 fines and 3 points during the hayfever season then!

Well, from what I've seen, the Police force has some of the worst driving offenders out. I've often thought to myself how nice it would be to get a police car on the ramps to check whether it was in a roadworthy condition. I'd bet there's lots that aren't :cold:

I've seen suggestions of banning people from talking to passengers while driving, among other things. Therein lies the problem- where does it stop? Somewhere a line has to be drawn as to what's an acceptable risk and what isn't, else if we continue down the "any risk is unacceptable" line we could continue on forever.

I think the real issue here is that a motorist has to be in control of his vehicle. Obviously pulling a hankie out while driving, blowing your nose while steering with your knees is not really being in full control.BUT, this guy was in stationary traffic, car out of gear, handbrake on. There is no way a reasonable human being (assuming these cops were human) could interpret that as not being in control?? Shurely shome mishtake!

The police man simply needs to be suspended (apparently its not the first time he's done something like this and brags about his toughness).

IF he does it again he needs to be sacked.

Wait, sorry I forgot this is the public sector so you can't suspend or sack people.

He's wasting time and money, alienating the people he should be serving, just as bad are his bosses that allow this to happen).

Far far too many police man are jumped up little hitlers, as T.Pratchett says a Police man is a servant of the city, never should they be allowed to forget this.