Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paul B

Uk Terror Threat Raised

Rather worrying news coming through this evening that the Terror Threat level has been raised to "severe".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8476238.stm

I guess there's no good way of announcing this, but telling people not to worry when raising the threat level is rather contradictory is it not?

Rather worrying news coming through this evening that the Terror Threat level has been raised to "severe".

http://news.bbc.co.u.../uk/8476238.stm

I guess there's no good way of announcing this, but telling people not to worry when raising the threat level is rather contradictory is it not?

was thinking of posting the news myself a while ago Paul. but was waiting for it to be made public first :cold:

as you say it is difficult to say we are under threat, yet everything is ok. hopefully the raise in alert state will be short lived and the extra security that goes with a raise in level can be stood down. maybe worth remembering to add a little extra time to your journey if anyone is planning to fly in the next week. :rofl:

was thinking of posting the news myself a while ago Paul. but was waiting for it to be made public first :cold:

as you say it is difficult to say we are under threat, yet everything is ok. hopefully the raise in alert state will be short lived and the extra security that goes with a raise in level can be stood down. maybe worth remembering to add a little extra time to your journey if anyone is planning to fly in the next week. :rofl:

Hi Mick, hope you are well?

Do you reckon its based towards air travel, or could be more generalised? My brother is due to travel into London tomorrow, he's a bit concerned now about going on the underground. I guess we just have to carry on as normal but remain vigilent. :(

Hi Mick, hope you are well?

Do you reckon its based towards air travel, or could be more generalised? My brother is due to travel into London tomorrow, he's a bit concerned now about going on the underground. I guess we just have to carry on as normal but remain vigilent. smile.gif

hey Paul, good here thanks.

well the level was raised against the fallout of the failed plane bomber over Xmas. but as ever, the airports seem to increase their awareness and checking in these situations. i think its more a case of reminding us to be vigilant rather than a direct threat on any one area or mode of travel.

maybe that the security service have intelligence after the failed bomber has been interogated :cold:

hey Paul, good here thanks.

well the level was raised against the fallout of the failed plane bomber over Xmas. but as ever, the airports seem to increase their awareness and checking in these situations. i think its more a case of reminding us to be vigilant rather than a direct threat on any one area or mode of travel.

maybe that the security service have intelligence after the failed bomber has been interogated :cold:

Would the UK have banned direct flights from the Yemen and then raised the threat level if they had no specific information?? C'mon. The intelligence people obviously have good information that some kind of a plan is in the pipeline. Otherwise nothing would have been changed.

It is still best to remember that any one of is statistically more likely to be knocked over by a bus/car/lorry than to be blown up by a nutcase terrorist. Be careful whatever you are doing!

They do occasionally raise the level every now and again it seems, but I think we don't hear half of what goes on, so can't really judge if it was worth it. (for the record I am sure it is, and it isn't done lightly) but they can't be specific as panic would ensue.

This could equally be baseless fear-mongering on the part of certain levels of government, or it might be a genuine worry about certain angry people in Yemen who are upset over this:

http://www.telegraph...s-to-Yemen.html

Our sending of "counter-terrorist" forces is somewhat interesting. We assume they are "terrorists" because they could well be just a broken-group of resistance fighters against an oppressive government, an oppressive Saudi government, and an oppressive meddling-interfering Western power.

As for them being "Al Qaeda" then thats another annoying little meme that is used to broadbrush every non-conformist internal group within certain nations. Remember this BBC documentary that basically negated the idea that there is an organisation known as Al Qaeda?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/3755686.stm

What about other legitimate hypotheses regarding Yemen?

http://www.engdahl.o...oint_yemen.html

A little snippet: -

Al Qaeda in Yemen is apparently anathema to al-Fadhli and the enlarged mass-based Southern Movement. In an interview, al-Fadhli declared, “I have strong relations with all of the jihadists in the north and the south and everywhere, but not with al-Qaeda.”

5 That has not hindered Saleh from claiming the Southern Movement and al Qaeda are one and the same, a convenient way to insure backing from Washington.

Conveniently, the same day, al Qaeda made a large profile declaring its support for southern Yemen’s cause.

"Al Qaeda" is a very "convenient" mythology in terms of its actual extent and influence.

This also has potential connections to PEAK OIL (as did 9/11).

Awwwwwwwwwwwww.. They only raised it up 1 point...............

As for them being "Al Qaeda" then thats another annoying little meme that is used to broadbrush every non-conformist internal group within certain nations. Remember this BBC documentary that basically negated the idea that there is an organisation known as Al Qaeda?

Isn't that what "Al Qaeda" are all about though PP?? "The Base" are just an umbrella for every disaffected ned east of Istanbul. That is why "they" are so effective.

Isn't that what "Al Qaeda" are all about though PP?? "The Base" are just an umbrella for every disaffected ned east of Istanbul. That is why "they" are so effective.

There is no organisation by the name of Al Qaeda. It didn't exist before 9/11 and Bin Laden was not even a member. It was pushed in the media and by certain officials after 9/11 and certain people began to assume it as an umbrella. Its a very misleading term.

This clip from the BBC documentary may interest you: -

There has been a terror alert in the UK since the IRA first bombed UK mainland..... not saying this threat isn't real, but people seem to forget the terror of the IRA days.

I really wouldnt stop life or travel for this - if you do, the terroist has already won.... remember why they are aptly (sp) known as a TERRORist

There has been a terror alert in the UK since the IRA first bombed UK mainland..... not saying this threat isn't real, but people seem to forget the terror of the IRA days.

I really wouldnt stop life or travel for this - if you do, the terroist has already won.... remember why they are aptly (sp) known as a TERRORist

Make the most of life every day while you have it. Thats my motto.

There is no organisation by the name of Al Qaeda. It didn't exist before 9/11 and Bin Laden was not even a member. It was pushed in the media and by certain officials after 9/11 and certain people began to assume it as an umbrella. Its a very misleading term.

This clip from the BBC documentary may interest you: -

Sorry PP, my use of " " " " was for a reason.

Sorry PP, my use of " " " " was for a reason.

Ahh...my bad.

Then again, my clarification is also for others on this thread to note.

In the run up to the next election, I expect their will be plenty of these threat level warnings in order to give the Government more air time.

Could easily be used for jerry mandering purposes.