Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Major Radar Upgrade - This Week

Paul

Posted

Evening all, some exciting news to share with you tonight...

After a large amount of time in development, the V5 radar will be made available in beta format this week to all our subscribers (full, lite and radar only).

This new version of the radar includes a raft of new features (some of which will be available on the first beta this week, others will be available on future releases during the coming weeks prior to the final version going live), the most significant of which is the new mapping and zoom system which gives google maps like functionality enabling you to pan and zoom into any part of the map right down to a street level view.

Some early screenshots are below:

post-2-12637594923328_thumb.png

post-2-12637594988428_thumb.png

post-2-12637595044928_thumb.png

Keep an eye out for further news of the other new features and improvements as well as info as to the date that the first beta will be online.

Thanks

Paul

Posted

excellent upgrade Paul.. :(

I will have great delight watching this years Storm's on this

I take it we will still have our Lightning symbol's or X's

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

That looks excellent Paul. Let's hope we have a good variety of precipitation to try it out with this week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Wow, I am really looking forward to this :)and can't wait to follow the storms even closer ( that's providing I do get a storm- of course Lol) :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Wow, looks good. Of course, my radar subscription expired today! :(

Can I just ask - with the precipitation discrimination feature, is this information based on the GFS? Or is precip type actually detected live?

Edited by 03jtrickey

Posted

Thanks all, we're certainly looking forward to putting it online - it's been a lot of hard work!

I take it we will still have our Lightning symbol's or X's

Yep, the lightning detection will still be available on there.

Can I just ask - with the precipitation discrimination feature, is this information based on the GFS? Or is precip type actually detected live?

It doesn't use the GFS, it uses a mixture of our hi-res NMM model + ground stations for verification where possible. We recently (a couple of weeks ago) upgraded the precipitation type system to improve accuracy, be more detailed and add hail and freezing rain as weather types :)

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Great, looking forward using the new features.. Will the GFS data (air pressure,CAPE, upper and lower temps/wind direction etc) still be available?

Edit.. When the new rainfall type was introduced i noticed for quite a considerable amount of time it showed snow for the north east when it was clearly raining in most parts away from the highest ground, any ideas to why it showed this?..

Thanks Paul.

Edited by NL

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Good stuff. Will be useful when the convective easterlies kick in againdrinks.gif

Posted

After a large amount of time in development, the V5 radar will be made available in beta format this week to all our subscribers (full, lite and radar only).

This new version of the radar includes a raft of new features (some of which will be available on the first beta this week, others will be available on future releases during the coming weeks prior to the final version going live), the most significant of which is the new mapping and zoom system which gives google maps like functionality enabling you to pan and zoom into any part of the map right down to a street level view.

Keep an eye out for further news of the other new features and improvements as well as info as to the date that the first beta will be online.

Thanks

Paul

bloody hell Paul,that looks awesome mate well done to all involved i cant wait lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

This looks phenomenally good and I'm not sure I'll manage to get any work done on days with storms or heavy showers!

I remember mentioning something like this a long time ago and you said it was in development but this far exceeds my expectations.

Well done Paul and the team, this puts you far, far ahead of the competition.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

FANTASTIC news, my bargain Lite deal is going to be even more of a steal :rolleyes:

Posted

Thanks

Paul

the suspense is killing me now :drinks:

I thought you might have sneaked the change in under the radar whilst we weren't looking Paul, this is worse than waiting for an Easterly

Pun intended there?? :drinks:

Posted

Paul - thanks to you and the team for making an already great product even better!

There are not many subscription based services on the Internet that I would part money for, but this is well worth the subscription fee. This really helps to illustrate nowcasting to my team at work and brings things to life.

Roll on the spring summer storms :drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow

I just have to say.... woooooooooooooooooo :drinks:

Now I will definitely be able to confirm with 100% certainty how close to Greenlaw the snow actually gets before it suddenly splits up goes around and then joins up again on the other side of Greenlaw!

Posted

Great news, i look forward to the update biggrin.gif

However there is one problem with this update, i can imagine some of the posts on here when they post radar images of it snowing heavily up the road yet on their street it isn't, they will be drove insane :o

Edited by mark bayley

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

God I'll have to complain again. You're making this site too good. Someone will buy it and cock it all up.