Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

BBC Put Contract To Provide Weather Forecast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

sorry I couldn't see it posted anywhere already...I am shocked!

Perhaps they've been reading threads on here!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/jan/17/bbc-weather-met-office-contract-metra

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

sorry I couldn't see it posted anywhere already...I am shocked!

Perhaps they've been reading threads on here!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/jan/17/bbc-weather-met-office-contract-metra

I'm not. The Met Office has become a walking PR disaster because of the prominence it has given to its misfiring seasonal forecasts and its warmist agenda.

Not to mention its fairly useless recent snow warnings (or the lack thereof) for us north of the border.

And don't me started on the weather graphics now used in the forecast. Someone's told them that they find them easier to understand, but who exactly is this mythical focus group?

Time for the Met O to get back to basics and this could be just the kick up the backside it needs.

Edited by Polar Gael

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I'm surprised to be honest, because most of the MetO's botches have been with long-range forecasts (their short-range ones have been pretty good as far as I remember) and the BBC relies on the short-range ones not the long-range ones.

The issues many people have with the BBC forecasts, including all of the issues that I have with them, tend to stem from the BBC itself and not the Met Office. If they revert to using Metra as the provider I have my doubts as to whether it would result in them making better use of Metra's graphics packages.

Edit: just looked around the 'net and it's because the current contract expires in April, so the link with the MetO's seasonal forecast issues may just be media hype.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Yup, just bad timing.

Its only right that it should be put out to tender. This is business afteral. If someone else can meet the criteria (turnover £10mil+ and able to provide the presenters) and do it cheaper (afaik the BBC don't like the high cost of the MO) then so be it. Metra look like strong contenders.

Personally I trust the BBC and Met Office forecasts over most other offerings, including GFS.

For a weather forecast point of view, surely having more accurate forecasts is more important than costs*, especially coming from a Public Service Broadcaster.

I work in Finance as well, so I do know about the importance of cost.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

IMO, the BBC and MetO aren't THAT bad. I think their biggest misgivings (both BBC and MetO) is the long range forecasts, which goes without saying, and thunderstorm forecasts.

The long range are, as we all know, new and untested theories (though, as mentioned previously, poorly broadcast and have led to a chernoble in terms of PR) so I am slightly more forgiving.

Where I think they are both week is in terms of T'storm forecasts, which tbh think I have been more accurate in 2009 than those paid experts.

As for the tender situation, just a way for the BBC to earn extra bunce IMO.

EDIT - Also correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the MetO and BBC did quite well with the snow forecast for the SE! No?

Edited by Harry

Posted

Just to clarify a bit on this one - the BBC forecasting contract has been due to expire this year for some time and the opportunity for other companies to tender for it has been ongoing for a good while as well. There really is no link to the recent stuff in the media about meto performance and the like.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Just to clarify a bit on this one - the BBC forecasting contract has been due to expire this year for some time and the opportunity for other companies to tender for it has been ongoing for a good while as well. There really is no link to the recent stuff in the media about meto performance and the like.

Also, I am not sure if this only applies to construction contracts, but is it not EU legislation that any contracts for public services/facilities, which I am assuming the forecasting to the BBC is (being a public funded organisation), above approx £3.5 million, must go to competitive tender permitting members of the EU to apply for also?

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

An opening for net Weather here to provide the forecast. Otherwise if the met office lose the contract I can see a definite decline in quality.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

An opening for net Weather here to provide the forecast. Otherwise if the met office lose the contract I can see a definite decline in quality.

Yes why not or at least spread it out a bit

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ice and snow, heat and sun!

Tell you what, I'd love to see GP appearing on the BBC with his LRFs and musings on teleconnections. Let's start a campaign to reverse meteorological 'dumbing down' on the BBC!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

And here, with the latest 20-year 'accuracy-guaranteed' Long Range Forecast for farmers, is the BBC's very own Forecasting Clown - Ken Ring!!! :rolleyes::good::) :) :rofl:

The shape of things to come? You couldn't possibly 'dumb down' more than that! :cray:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Give the contract to Netweather! :rolleyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Give the contract to Netweather! :rolleyes:

And get graphics smashed to pieces because an Atlantic mild spell wins over a cold easterly?

BFTP

Posted

Hey Blast you and Rodger could have a mooncasting session as well.

Posted

Im not really surprised. If the Met Office arent providing the service the BBC (license fee payers) are paying for then why not.

Could you provide a detailed nationwide forecast in 20 seconds? The problem is that the BBC consider adverts for Depressedenders and Prancing on Ice toi be many many times more important than a poxy weather forecast.

Now, if the BBC were genuinely interested in providing a service to their customers (us) they'd be extending all weather bulletins by at least 2 minutes ......

btw not all all surprised that the rapidly disappearing into a sinkhole tabloid press have falsely linked this story with their equally untrue claims about MetO performance

Posted

I have never seen a BBC forecast as short as 20 seconds. Shortest I've seen was probably about 45 seconds or so once on the BBC News channel when an interview or breaking news item overran leaving little time before the Top Of The Hour sequence for the weather. But that was a highly rare and extreme example.

Typically on BBC One at around 2233 they tend to run for a minute or two at least and on the BBC News channel they can run for double that amount, so 2-4 minutes long at around '55 or '56 minutes past the hour. A slightly shorter forecast plays out at around '27 minutes past but even these tend to run for at least a minute or two.

Posted

Too be honest we should be a bit concerned about this as it would mean the following.

1) No more country file.

2) No live update information for the forecasters

3) Bimbo's for weather presenters who'll think a cold front is someone leaving the front door open.

I don't want ITV type of forecasts that are totally rubbish. I know the beebs weather girls can be annoying at times but they have cut out it's freezing comments at long last. You watch Carol will say it tomorrow now.

The met office need to get a grip on there media team and stop comments like a barbi summer getting to the press.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I didn't think of that one, but losing Countryfile would certainly be an issue, as I think those forecasts are still of very high quality.

Regarding the comment about ITV, to be honest I think BBC's other national forecasts have basically moved more towards ITV's style (in terms of general style of presentation- I hasten to add that I think the BBC are responsible for this, rather than the presenters) although they are still better than ITV's offerings. Losing the tie with the Met Office could, depending on what other company they choose, result in BBC going the rest of the way over towards ITV's style, in particular moving towards choosing presenters who are not well qualified in meteorology.

Posted

I didn't think of that one, but losing Countryfile would certainly be an issue, as I think those forecasts are still of very high quality.

Regarding the comment about ITV, to be honest I think BBC's other national forecasts have basically moved more towards ITV's style (in terms of general style of presentation- I hasten to add that I think the BBC are responsible for this, rather than the presenters) although they are still better than ITV's offerings. Losing the tie with the Met Office could, depending on what other company they choose, result in BBC going the rest of the way over towards ITV's style, in particular moving towards choosing presenters who are not well qualified in meteorology.

Biggest problem with the ITV forecast they're based on old data unless MR Fish, Paul Hudson and Ian M were wrong about that.

Like you say though having people who haven't a clue what they're talking about is the greatest worry.

Posted

Give the contract to Netweather! :D

I agree, give the contract to Netweather. I'm being serious by the way :lol:

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

Biggest problem with the ITV forecast they're based on old data unless MR Fish, Paul Hudson and Ian M were wrong about that.

Like you say though having people who haven't a clue what they're talking about is the greatest worry.

It's my understanding that both the BBC and ITV weather forecasts are all provided by the Met Office so there should be no difference apart from ITV's presentational style. The BBC presenters are employees of the Met Office not the BBC but the ITV presenters are ITV employees.

I agree, give the contract to Netweather. I'm being serious by the way :whistling:

Unless Paul is richer than he's letting on it's not going to happen. Only companies with turnover in excess of £10m are invited to tender.

I think its probably more about money than service though, unfortunately.

Given the current anger at bonuses for failure by bankers, the reputed £1m bonus payouts to Met Office staff for a BBQ summer and warm winter has only fueled the medias spin on this topic.

Edited by kar999