Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Any Snow Left ? How Long Did It Last ?

stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Hopefully if i get some more snow this weekend im going to make 1 massive pile and see how long it lasts whistling.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Hopefully if i get some more snow this weekend im going to make 1 massive pile and see how long it lasts whistling.gif

When did the last snow patch go in England last yr wasn't it May ?

Any volunteers for England rolleyes.gif

Posted

When did the last snow patch go in England last yr wasn't it May ?

Any volunteers for England rolleyes.gif

Last lying snow here last spring was v early March 8th.

last day with falling snow March 28th.

April was of course very much on the warm side.

Did have a dusting of hail on april 27th. :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

Just back from a walk on the moor behind the village, this is what's left of the 4-8 ft drifts of two weeks ago:

post-2239-12648725747488_thumb.jpg post-2239-12648725781188_thumb.jpg post-2239-12648725817788_thumb.jpg

post-2239-12648725854888_thumb.jpg post-2239-12648725899888_thumb.jpg post-2239-12648725971788_thumb.jpg

post-2239-12648725934788_thumb.jpg (and this is what this was like 2 weeks ago post-2239-12648727240688_thumb.jpg)

post-2239-12648725671988_thumb.jpg (and again, previously post-2239-12648725717688_thumb.jpg)

Posted

Covering of fresh snow in Inverness, there was still a couple of patches of old snow hanging about in the shade. Now been 45days since the garden was completely snow free, places like Aviemore have had decent cover throughout that period. :)

Posted

My back garden has had a covering of snow since 16th December. Although the snow in the front garden (south facing) did clear for 2 days, the back garden remained covered in snow (well pack ice if truth be told) no sun gets to that garden.

Friday morning brought more snow though, as did Friday night right through until today - in fact snowing at the moment.

Currently have around 3 inches.

BTW - I live more or less at sea level. It was the length and severity of the cold after the snow that caused it to hang around for so long.

Posted

Evidence of how deep the snow was near Kirkstone Pass in the Lakes is still there to see in the impressive snow banks on either side of the road as you approach the Kirkstone Pass Inn on the southern approach. I wasn't expecting to see so much, its covering one half of one lane, making for quite difficult dricing conditions, in fact the road was very icy this morning, some parts of the road were covered in thick ice, on a bendy twisting road with lots of blind bends conditions were hazardous.

Posted

Evidence of how deep the snow was near Kirkstone Pass in the Lakes is still there to see in the impressive snow banks on either side of the road as you approach the Kirkstone Pass Inn on the southern approach. I wasn't expecting to see so much, its covering one half of one lane, making for quite difficult dricing conditions, in fact the road was very icy this morning, some parts of the road were covered in thick ice, on a bendy twisting road with lots of blind bends conditions were hazardous.

Can't compete with the above or the past few posts but down in soft southern England still have remains of snow drift ~ 1 - 3 ft deep x ~ 10ft long x ~ 6ft wide from Jan 5th on roadside at top of Bidlip on A417 from M5 in Glos. Some patches still in the deep ditch that runs along the roadside too.

Plus the Swindon dog track snow pile also from 5th Jan still there ~ 3ft high x ~8ft x 4ft.

Anyway all likely to have disappeared by the end of the week with the forecast rain and milder temperatures.

Posted

a Small patsh of snow from my neighbours igloo is still remaining from the first week in Jan, as others have said still a few man made partches remain from snow clearing at schools and supermakets etc.

Posted

Wife & i went for a walk yesterday afternoon at top of Detling Hill (approx 500' asl), nr Maidstone and from the ruins of Thurnham Castle looking North there were the remains of a drift in a field about 200 yds away. I'd say probably 25feet long and a couple of feet wide but a brilliant white as opposed to all the dirty piles of snow that get lift in shopping centre car parks. i was suprised to see it as it faces south although until this weekend there's not been much sun to melt it. Must be one of the few partches left south of the Thames.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

A couple of inches of snow was left today from Friday night's fall, but it is now being washed away by light rain/sleet. Man made piles of snow in car parks have lasted from 20th December until now.

Edited by alza

Posted

The tension is building will my old favourite drift on the A417 at Birdlip still be there well if you are even remotely interested or if you don't give a damn i'll let you know later after my treacherous journey through the mountains of N Glos.

PS Regular ignorers of this information will be glad to here that the Swindon dog track pile is still there much small and looks pretty rough!!!

Posted

Well reader yes the Birdlip A417 drift is still there much reduced to ~1' x 20' x 4' and still some in the ditch along side the road too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Still some drifts on Mount Snowdon, although they are very patchy. Went to Doncaster on January 30th, there was still some large drifts at lower levels before the pennines, and pleny over Woodhead.

Edited by Backtrack

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Can't compete with the above or the past few posts but down in soft southern England still have remains of snow drift ~ 1 - 3 ft deep x ~ 10ft long x ~ 6ft wide from Jan 5th on roadside at top of Bidlip on A417 from M5 in Glos. Some patches still in the deep ditch that runs along the roadside too.

Plus the Swindon dog track snow pile also from 5th Jan still there ~ 3ft high x ~8ft x 4ft.

Anyway all likely to have disappeared by the end of the week with the forecast rain and milder temperatures.

No chance of them hanging on to monday then ?

Posted

Once you get a few miles inland there is still full snow cover across the north Highlands, 20cm is about the least I saw this morning with more like 70-80cm between Kinbrace and Altnaharra.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

There's been some snow, at least there was yesterday, on the local bowling green since December 18!

Posted

Are we on about Tuesday morning's snow, or Wednesday evening's snow? The answer to which is there are still patches this morning in gulleys etc. in rural areas, even at sea level.

Perhaps it's time to close this thread.

Posted

With temps falling to 2.2c last night got 5 or 6 snowdrifts still left now.

Frost tonight as it`s clear and sunny so they will be safe for yet another cold spell incredible how long they`ve lasted one still 2 foot deepest, others have gone quite alot though.

Posted

No chance of them hanging on to monday then ?

Still some there on Wednesday 3rd but not going past Birdlip again for a while so you'll just have to let me know if any has survived

Posted
  • Location: Upper Cwmbran NP44 S E Wales - 5 Miles east of Newport 150m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: SACRA member
  • Location: Upper Cwmbran NP44 S E Wales - 5 Miles east of Newport 150m ASL

The last bit of snow has left the mountain top above Cwmbran. It's been there for weeks and only the remaining was protected in the ravines and deep gulley shaded areas but nevertheless stayed a long time and longer than I've ever known it here since the early 80's....maybe some more soon to start us getting excited....fingers crossed...have to wait a week I reckon before that happens ...showers sooner though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

We've still got a few small ( in some cases, very small ) drift remnants dating back to mid-December which keep hanging on despite a lack of air frost and maxima generally between 2 and 5c.