Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Any Snow Left ? How Long Did It Last ?

stewfox

Posted

Still enough on the Downs over Eastbourne to have a snowball fight and piles of grey slush in the car parks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

I'm surprised to see a few mounds of snow near where I live as I had expected all to have gone, a few more hours then it will be 2 weeks of lying snow cover.

My thread my definition , this means any snow left dirol.gif

So get out there and take what snow is left build a big snow man put in shelter way from the sun.

In 1979 'my snow' out did the neighbours by a week, I had built a massive snowman (ok by the end I was cheating by adding ice from the freezer!)

Edited by stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

It's perfectly acceptable to note days of snow cover, as in days when snow covered at least some of the ground. Even the official Met Office records do that- it's more that if it is less than 50% cover then it isn't a "snow day".

No snow at all left in Norwich, not even from snowmen around here.

Posted

We had a 11 days of snow cover in South Northants going by the 50% rule. Thats 19 this winter so far, not bad for half way through winter!

We still have some snow patches and the neighbours igloo has collapsed but there is still a 4ft heap of snow.

Posted

last patches of ice on the roads likely to go today. Haven't been in Edinburgh all over Christmas so can't vouch for continuity of cover, but the first snowfall was 17th december, 32 days ago! Still good areas of snow on local hills. Never seemed to get much in the centre of town, but the 4 inches of powder that fell on the 3rd lasted a long time and was definitely unusual for Edinburgh.

Actually quite glad to see the back of the ice for now!

sss

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl

Still got some snow here but its down to small mounds now. Expect it all to be gone before Wednesday. Will mean about 5 weeks of snow cover, which for us is not really that special, even in recent years.

Posted

Still got some snow here but its down to small mounds now. Expect it all to be gone before Wednesday. Will mean about 5 weeks of snow cover, which for us is not really that special, even in recent years.

How is that not special? Ive also had 5 weeks of snow cover and that is very good, compared to the last 20 years, last year I achieved 4 weeks of snow cover and the year before that 3 days

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Plenty of snow left around here although today the cover was reduced to less than 50%. In view of how mild it's been for the last couple of days I'm surprised how long some of the relatively thin patches on the house roofs are lasting, let alone those on the ground.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Yesterday, barring the piles of cleared snow on roadsides, there was still some scraps of snow left around edges of fields. The most snow I saw yesterday was a large and deep bank of melting snow in a cutting on the bend of a road near Beachy Head on the South Downs near Eastbourne, which must have been the remnants of a snow drift - as it is rather exposed up there.

Posted

The local bowling green close to where I live has finally lost its slushy icy residue, it has been 'white' since the 17th Dec.

Elsewhere, the mild and moist air has cleared most icy residue from untreated roads and pavements, but it does still linger in spots.

Plenty of snow/ice in sheltered northern aspect fields.

Posted

Drove down from Abergavenny to Swansea via A465, and there is still a good covering anywhere above 300metres id guess, patchy and on the whole maybe less than 50%.

The gradual decline down into Swansea ,obviously the snow dis appears , and even the skeletons of the toughest snow men have gone.

Near my work in Porthcawl there is a disgusting looking dark grey,gritty mound that is rotting badly,it was piled quite high so has taken some time to decay.

It really does look awful, but i think i could still make a trampy dirty smelly snowman out of it.

As i posted in the wales forum last week, i did see 3 council folk hacking at the carcass of a dead snow man, and after it was fully dis membered , they threw the remains into a nearby tree.

It was in nobodys way and was not a health and safety risk, it was at the end of a pavement and within a metre of the road,and it would appear they had been told to do this by their superiors.

Posted

Snow lying here since the easterly on the 17th Dec until Saturday when rain reduced the snow cover to under 50%. So 30 days of lying snow with a high percentage of days with falling snow as well. rolleyes.gif

Posted

How is that not special? Ive also had 5 weeks of snow cover and that is very good, compared to the last 20 years, last year I achieved 4 weeks of snow cover and the year before that 3 days

I assume because he is in the hills.

Posted

I was surprised to see some very small mounds of snow near Reading City Centre. 95% went by Sunday morning but even by Tuesday after noon there is some remaining, way under 0.5%.

Getting to the stage I'll have to set up a web site 'snow patching surviving near Reading town centre', taking picks like firefly.

Maybe a you tube or face book set up ? Could catch on.

Anyway I would suggest the largest snow patch I found on my limited travels to Boots, was cira 3ft in length by about 6 inches in depth and 1ft in width..

A 3 min level walk to get there.

Two things could hasten its demise I fear.

Warm temps and rain /sun.

More likely kids kicking it all over the place. mad.gif

Posted

Plenty of snow drifts left still got quite alot of ice and theres stil snow in well sheltered spots which hasn`t blown but is well out of the sun and south/SW wind 7.4cmax yesterday 6.1c today but a strong SE wind now and getting colder.

Posted

Snow cover still 80/90% here. 5 weeks on Weds morning of continous snow cover at 0900z.

Mark

Teesdale

Posted

I was surprised to see some very small mounds of snow near Reading City Centre. 95% went by Sunday morning but even by Tuesday after noon there is some remaining, way under 0.5%.

There is one snow patch left now near Reading City Centre (where I walk anyway).

Surprised to see it there today, its becoming an old friend.

I cant see it lasting the night cray.gif

Its about 1ft long 2 inches high

Posted

There is still some lying snow in the hills of north Hampshire/west Surrey.. This is mostly at elevations of more than 500ft and only either in the corners of fields or in very sheltered spots. There are also some drifts of up to 3ft in very exposed places.

Posted

Went for a wander around the industrial estate at lunchtime to look at the piles of grit+snow still left in car parks and beside the roads.

They are rock hard with a crust that you can't break with a booted foot! They appear to have become a supercooled mass of white and black 'concrete' and I'm guessing they could be around for some time and would be difficult to shift before they finally melt. I'm going to name it the Baked Alaska effect!

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

There were still sooty black piles of snow in Sainsbury car park yesterday afternoon, and next to the car wash too.

The local primary school put up a notice on the school playing field fence advertising the snowmen that the children had built the other week. Now it is just muddy brown grass and just one small piece left of one remaining snowman.

Posted

Herewith in no particular order.

Burtonwood services just off the M62 had many piles of rock hard snow one ~ 10ft high yesterday.

Victoria Industrial Estate in Warrington had 1 -2 ft piles dotted around.

Birdlip A417 had 3 - 4 ft drifts on the road side plus ~3ft pile of snow in Air Balloon pub car park not including the snow cover from Wednesday's fall all round.

All above probably taken a hammering from the warm rain though since.

North Swindon S Marston had one or two piles this morning.

Lastly the motorbike test centre next to the Dog track near the A419 had ~ 6ft x 10ft pile this afternoon.

PS The test centre pile created after Feb 2009 snow lasted ~ 1 month probably because it is very sheltered and a little cooler as on the edge of the housing developments nearby.