Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Any Snow Left ? How Long Did It Last ?

stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

We had a good 5 inches left over the garden last night but this morning with moderate rain for hrs and milder temps it has now nearly all gone !

I was thinking it could hang on till monday and for here that would mean 2 weeks of lying snow cover. Thats not going to happen all gone by today (I didnt build a snowman)

So 12 days and cira 6 days in December thats 18 days of lying snow, not bad for the middle of winter !

Whats it like where you are ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I'm unsure whether what's left on the ground here will count as a snow-day or not?? :unsure:

I'm unsure whether what's left on the ground here will count as a snow-day or not?? :unsure:

Our snow has almost all gone, still some ice outside though. I never thought I would say this, but good riddance!! The greenery is quite surreal!! Definitely not a snow day here, so the recorded length of snow cover is 27 days.

Posted

Hi,

30+ days snow cover and still snowing atm!

Not sure how much longer it will last we had a major melt yesterday

Kind regards,

Posted

All gone here, after a fortnight with at least some snow cover on the ground. At last, we can get about without slipping and sliding everywhere!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

I'm unsure whether what's left on the ground here will count as a snow-day or not?? unsure.gif

Not interested in technical snow days just whats left on the ground and for how long.

A snowman can count but snow put in your frezzer doesn't !

In my youth (1979) I did add freezer ice to my snow man

Edited by stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Some patches of snow remain from what was total snow cover last night. The rain has done its job. Although where the ploughs have been through and farmers etc there are some significant piles of snow still, and in areas of the fields.

So 12 days this time around, today would of been the 13th. How unlucky.

Posted

still plenty of snow in banchory when i left last night, not sure how much will remain after the pouring rain for nearly 12 hours straight here...wonder if this rain is falling as snow on cairngorm, hope so...they were battling 15ft of snow yesterday and had to get 2x26 ton dozers up to try and clear the road!

Posted

Patches of snow left mainly on side roads, but now in my street at least, less than 50% snow cover. It may well be a different story in other parts of town where they had more snow.

In total, in my street, we had 30 days of snow cover consecutively. Remarkeable.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

95% cover this morning, average depth is 16cm, a reduction of 8cm on yesterday when there was 100% cover.

Posted

Still have patches of lying snow scattered around, particularly on the grassy areas.

However, given the amount of rain there is, currently, I'd imagine that there will be

very little left come the end of the day.

Posted
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland

we had snow here everywhere right upto wednesday so about 4 weeks and about 5 weeks on the mountain behind me infact they had a good 5 inches up there yesterday and maybe more on thrusday but then last night the mild weather came and it rained and rained!

Pretty well all gone. It only lasted just over a week here because the previous melted between Christmas and the New Year, though in all I suppose we have had a fortnight to three weeks of lying snow this season. More than what we usually get in latter years.

Posted

75% cover now after rain and gales last night thawed about as much as I thought it would`ve.

And now the most water and floods since summer 2007!!!!! Just like the good old days snow brings water back more than rain but this is more extreme amount of water,ground frost tonight should ease it off and make it very icy.

27 days total or more than half cover this winter so far.

Posted

Still about 20% coverage in the garden, not enough to qualify as a day of lying snow, and it's disappearing fast. We've had lying snow every morning from January 7-15, totalling 9 days this year so far, plus 7 days from December 18-24, so well above average for the season. At the peak we just made 20cm of level snow in the garden, which is probably the deepest we've had since 1981/2.

Edited by Stargazer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Well the first batch before Christmas meant snow on the ground from Monday 21st - Friday 25th before a well and true thaw on Boxing Day. This most recent spell however has meant snow on the ground from Wednesday 6th - Thursday 14th and although snow remained in parts for most of yesterday it was less than 25% and now it is all gone.

Posted
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme winter cold,heavy bowing snow,freezing fog.Summer 2012
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet

All the snow has gone here, after 10 snow days, but even at its deepest there was only around 4cm. Interestingly, now the snow has gone, the lawn is still quite hard underfoot, so still quite icy, as it has been for the majority of the time since the 19th December.

Posted

All gone now but the ground covered for 13 days with snow falling on 9 days-the heaviest on 6th with 16cm-the third highest in over 50 years records for this area.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

The first snowfall here was on New Years Day evening, with a further fall the following day according to people here (we were still away). We came back to a 4cm covering on the 4th, this then covered by the falls on the 5th, with this snow cover then lasting until yesterday afternoon. The extra fall last Tuesday and Wednesday had already thawed by Thursday largely.

Maximum level depth of 16cm on the back lawn. On Thursday evening there was still an 8cm covering but a rapid thaw removed this by yesterday evening.

Length of snow cover at 0900 was from January 2nd to 15th or 14 days. Thats the longest I have witnessed since 1991 in the Midlands.