Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The No Storms Club 2010

Jane Louise

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Hi Jane. Yep, I think the last notable thunderstorm we had here was in the Summer of 2003. Lots of cloud to ground lightning and great bangs and booms of thunder......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.

It's not fair anymore :):)

I think the storms only happen North and East now ( Although I know not everyone gets one), I guess us Westerners can now say goodbye to Storms, It seems we will never see one again (sob):)

Hi ANYWEATHER,

I think back a few years ago, your area and Cheltenham used to get some really good storms but now they've vanished into thin air.:(

It always starts off really good here with the Sun out,the clouds building,the sky darkening ( Just the right ingredients and atmosphere ) it starts to get really promising then next thing before you know it the bloody convection has moved on down towards London Lol and then nothing happens here but a dull blanket of grey sky grrrr

:( I hope you have some luck this Summer and everyone else.

I think I'm going to be here for a long time yet.

Hi Jane L, Swindon used to get some great storms.I used to remember them growing up in this area as a kid, but recently we seem to miss out.The storms are still plentiful but not around our areas!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Surprisingly Norwich is still in the club- last night's storms stayed just to the north and west. (I gather that the band to the SE at around 5-7am was not electrified).

Posted

Hi Jane L, Swindon used to get some great storms.I used to remember them growing up in this area as a kid, but recently we seem to miss out.The storms are still plentiful but not around our areas!

Hi Casper,

I can't work out what's happened to our storms anymore:( I think our storm shields are holding tight. I'm wondering if my problem is because I'm surrounded by hills in a Valley. Mind you though, if a really good storm does come along we have the advantage of it getting stuck in the valley and giving us a really good un, but that's a rarity nowadays lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Think I'll join you! A good few flashes of I-C and C-C lightning, followed by deep rumbles of thunder. The core of the cell was no more than 1-1.5 miles away from my location, with the torrential rainfall just missing here. First time I've seen night-time lightning in a long while!

At least our persistence paid off. One of the very few in the West Mids to get something. :)

Lets hope for more today! Lol.

Posted

Oh my,

my new weather station is showing the thunderstorm icon this morning :) And my other WS is showing a dewpoint of 15.... here I go again gettiing excited lol.The only problem is though that we have a blanket of grey dull cloud here. I'm hoping the sun comes out now lol:lol:

Just checked Staverton weather at http://en.allmetsat.com/metar-taf/united-kingdom-ireland.php?icao=EGBJ and it says :

Temporary

from 06 at 12 UTC to 06 at 18 UTCVisibility 3000 mheavy rain showers and thunderstorm rain

\0/ Yay lol

Posted

Looking at the last 24 hours strikes its as if all the lightning switched off when it passed over my area and then switched on again afterwards..

Still, I have my eye on that development over wales.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Jane Louise has LEFT THE CLUB! :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Jane Louise has LEFT THE CLUB! :lol:

Well I only joined today and now Im very glad to say Im leaving it too!! :D:D:good::)

Posted

Well I only joined today and now Im very glad to say Im leaving it too!! :D:D:good: :lol:

I left at 1am this morning. :)

Edited by Blizzards

Posted

i said to my hubby as we were driving home "hope someone starts up the no storms club again" get home and here we are.. So frustrating seeing all the action east and north .. Watched some lovely towers go up earlier only to watch them move off up north grrrr they pinching all are storms, give em bk. Have not seen any lightning for 18 months so im getting desperate withdraw symptoms and my new LD has forgotten what its for. Anyway cant see anything on the horizon for the south west at the moment.

kaz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

What a horrible afternoon, plenty of light-moderate rain, but most importantly NO THUNDER! :D

Don't think I have any more chances this week :D

Posted

I got my storm Yay:D:drunk:

But I shall still be around to see who's left in TNSC :-Good Luck everyone else :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Unfortunatlly still apart of the club, all the action is far away from here in Bridgend, south wales :( Wounder when we will get any?! Last year we didn't get anything until 25th June, hope to get some before then this year!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

I got my storm Yay:D:drunk:

But I shall still be around to see who's left in TNSC :-Good Luck everyone else :D

Glad you got youre storm Jane,and may I say it was so nice to be in the "No Storms Club" for only a few hours!!! Best storm here for at least 2 years!! :(:):D:)

Posted

Havent seen a storm for 2 years now given the crap summers we have been having, looks like June isn't shaping up too well as temperatures following this event look crap for convective development.

Posted

Do I need to sign anything official to join the club? Nothing here but light/moderate rain. No storms...not even a rumble of thunder in 2010 so far.

Posted

Glad you got youre storm Jane,and may I say it was so nice to be in the "No Storms Club" for only a few hours!!! Best storm here for at least 2 years!! :crazy::cray::) :)

Thanks ANYWEATHER:) I think my storm may have come from your way lol.:D

Do I need to sign anything official to join the club? Nothing here but light/moderate rain. No storms...not even a rumble of thunder in 2010 so far.

No nothing to sign lol. Make yourself at home and here's hoping you wont be staying long lol:D

Good luck everybody. I know how disappointing it is.But there's still the rest of Summer to go yet and Autumn usually brings some good storms too.:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

After a rubbish day today I cheered myself up by finding this video of a storm near Paris in August 2008:

Meaux is about 25 miles west of Paris, I was staying about 5 miles southwest of Meaux when this happened (03:00 - 07:00 on the 7th). That was the best storm I've ever seen in my life, and 3 similar but shorter storms occured during the afternoon. Unfortunately this video doesn't do the spectacular lighting display justice, there was around a strike a second at one point!

Really puts the storms that strike Newcastle into perspective!

Edited by alza

Posted

So has Jane-Louise now had a storm?!! My God have you picked yourself off the floor yet? LOL!

Not even a drop of rain in BA 12 this weekend : yesterday a few sharp showers missed by a few miles and nothing came remotely near until the late afternoon when some heavy showers moved in from the Bristol Channel but they stayed approx 20 miles to the N then E/NE!

An ironic occurence yesterday : my fiancé and I took a day out to Sidmouth. At 13.00 - 13.30ish the only shower anywhere in England was over Sidmouth!! Thankfully it cleared to hot sunshine for us to sit on the beach later!

Posted

After a rubbish day today I cheered myself up by finding this video of a storm near Paris in August 2008:

Meaux is about 25 miles west of Paris, I was staying about 5 miles southwest of Meaux when this happened (03:00 - 07:00 on the 7th). That was the best storm I've ever seen in my life, and 3 similar but shorter storms occured during the afternoon. Unfortunately this video doesn't do the spectacular lighting display justice, there was around a strike a second at one point!

Really puts the storms that strike Newcastle into perspective!

Wow!! I'd love to see a storm like that one. Thanks for sharing.

So has Jane-Louise now had a storm?!! My God have you picked yourself off the floor yet? LOL!

Not even a drop of rain in BA 12 this weekend : yesterday a few sharp showers missed by a few miles and nothing came remotely near until the late afternoon when some heavy showers moved in from the Bristol Channel but they stayed approx 20 miles to the N then E/NE!

An ironic occurence yesterday : my fiancé and I took a day out to Sidmouth. At 13.00 - 13.30ish the only shower anywhere in England was over Sidmouth!! Thankfully it cleared to hot sunshine for us to sit on the beach later!

Yes Andy I actually I got my storm lol. :drunk:Good luck for a storm this summer :unknw:

Posted

Hmmm, a further predominantly northerly airflow for the forseeable future and they have been the feature even through the warm phases, does this worry anyone else?

As for my area at least that does not bode well for storms this year even if it is predominantly anticyclonic and hot (which I think it will be) as all we will see are repeat performances of todays events every breakdown where everything is blown east - south east.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Im definitely still in this club! not had even close to a storm yet this spring/summer, seems to be like the snow, most action seems to be NE of here, or in the SE