Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The No Storms Club 2010

Jane Louise

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

The last three Augusts were certainly short on thunder activity- the first half of August 2008 may have been quite thundery in Norwich but I'm aware that this was the exception rather than the rule. However, the Julys of 2007 and 2009 were both exceptionally thundery in the Tyne and Wear area with 5 and 7 thunder-days respectively at Cleadon. July 2009 admittedly had a very strong west-east split with the east getting lots of storms and the west getting hardly any.

The change in UK thunder activity occurred a while ago- Philip Eden in "A Change In The Weather", 2003, pointed to a decline in July & August thunderstorms starting in the 1990s, and a decline in June thunderstorms starting in the 2000s.

Indeed - when I was very young, late May through to August every year brought intense, often scary thunderstorms which would often last for hours. Since early 2000, thunderstorms in August have become increasingly few, while June/July (in the SE) have often contained our majority. While August is becoming increasingly barren, so too has May! We just have to hope as with last year, June and July start bring us the goods :rolleyes:

Edited by Harry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Last year in June we only had a few thunderstorms, most just had the odd rumble and nothing much, but we had nothing in July and August! I hope this year we do a bit better and we get some starting next month, as it doesn't look like it will happen this month!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Our last notable thunderstorm was March the 25th this year, despite a couple of storms last year which pushed from the south, SE or SW it has been nothing like it used to be since 2006.

2006 was my best ever year for thunderstorms in my life time so far i reckon espcially the end of July when we got up 5/6 very powerful storm one in particular was 26/7/06 which I posted about in my thunderstorm stories thread.

2007 was relatively poor with only a few that push from france and i think 2008 was the worse year for storms here, that August 6th 2008 storm missed us by about 10 miles and was eatchign a spectacular lightning show for about 4 hours but wasn't near us:(

2009 was a slight improvement with storms on June 25th, July 2nd, July 6th, July 16th and July 29th and quite a few in November and December.

So far this year 1 notable thunderstorm

3 days with thunder heard

5 days with Lightning seen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

This year ive only had 1 tiny bit of lightning followed by thunder that was very whimpy with no bass at all, my dog didnt even go mad and he always does with storms. i wouldnt even call it a thunder shower as it was hardly raining at all.

I think the lightning/thunderstorm activity has been decreasing, 2007/8 where two years when i hardly heard or saw lightning at all, 2009 we had one intense storm in june and then in august i went to florida we had a few giant thunderstorms and nearlly every day i either heard thunder or i saw lightning (e.g. distant) thats why i want to move there thanks, ill have that plane ticket now please! wub.gif

The south east isn't playing ball this year, sucks even more for people up north though i gotta feel sorry for you guys!

Edited by Mesodiscussion

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Now, do I get excited for Sunday,Tuesday or Wednesday?:) Nope, I certainly wont this time I think I'll wait for the night before lol. COME ON Storms where are you lol :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Now, do I get excited for Sunday,Tuesday or Wednesday?tongue.gif Nope, I certainly wont this time I think I'll wait for the night before lol. COME ON Storms where are you lol wallbash.gif

I really hope you get one Jane, you deserve it fingers crossed yeh :).

Also to all the others too that hasn't had a storm.

Posted

I doubt i'll see a storm anytime soon, but im just hoping it rains next week as i work outdoors and i'll get a few easy days, as we don't work in rainy conditions,but still get paid :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

No storms here this year either, some potential over the coming days though :clap:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Remarakbly no thunder or lightning this year so far in Norwich. This must be pretty unusual considering that the mean annual thunder frequency in this area is about 16 days per year, with both 2008 and 2009 producing approximately that amount.

Not a great deal of potential for the Norwich area until the 6th June, but ECMWF's output would certainly leave this area in the firing line.

Posted

Not seen any storms up here this year so far either which is unusual, May normally produces a few storms every year around here but nada.

Then again this year has been mostly dry and anticyclonic from the start so I suppose a lack of thunderstorms is an expected side effect, good news for later in the summer though since longer periods of heat means more and bigger thunderstorms when it breaks down.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Still nothing here, but i hope we get something soon, maybe within the next few days? Every summer we have had atleast 1 day with thunder and lightning, so i dont see why this year should be different!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

This is from the Weather Gods of the Vale of Evesham to say that there will be no thunderstorms for you but you can have a Crepuscular Ray!! :):wallbash::nonono::cray: :lol:

post-6830-12757359839833_thumb.jpg

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

Seen no storms for quite a while and form a personal perspective that has been a very good thing as I have become a real storm o phobe after all these years. For good enough reasons. Very ironic that I used to till not too long ago look out for storms - now I hate them but it looks like escape time has run out and am not looking forward to the next 24 hrs at all!sad.gifnonono.gif

Hopefully I can be excused for hoping that the present uncertainty about this event means that they miss the far SE corner and go through the channel into France instead. Either that or they pass to the west of here and through all the places where there are plenty of people who I am sure would appreciate them instead.

Edited by North Sea Snow Convection

Posted

Nothing here again:cray:Was hoping for at least a rumble of thunder after watching the radars all day and most of the night.:(I hope whoever got a storm enjoyed it though:)Was also hoping for something today but it's all been downgraded and also Tuesday's storm risk:( If I can't have a Storm, I would like some rain,but even that isen't going to happen now lol:(

1.2.3. ARRRRGGHHHHHHHHH!!:) (Now tht's better Lol)

ROLL CALL PLEASE!!

Is anyone still left in the NSC?

Posted

Nothing here again:cray:Was hoping for at least a rumble of thunder after watching the radars all day and most of the night.:(I hope whoever got a storm enjoyed it though:)Was also hoping for something today but it's all been downgraded and also Tuesday's storm risk:( If I can't have a Storm, I would like some rain,but even that isen't going to happen now lol:(

1.2.3. ARRRRGGHHHHHHHHH!!:) (Now tht's better Lol)

ROLL CALL PLEASE!!

Well Jane,not sure I was in it ,but Im definately in it now!! Perhaps not for long??? :):shok::nonono::lazy::cray:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

I'm still in the club :) it looks like all the action occurred further south AND north :)gfs still gives me a slight thunder risk today but it just doesn't feel thundery at all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.

Swindon always the hot favourite for being in the club, nothing at all here nor expecting anything.

Edited by Casper

Posted

It's not fair anymore :):)

I think the storms only happen North and East now ( Although I know not everyone gets one), I guess us Westerners can now say goodbye to Storms, It seems we will never see one again (sob):shok:

Hi ANYWEATHER,

I think back a few years ago, your area and Cheltenham used to get some really good storms but now they've vanished into thin air.:nonono:

It always starts off really good here with the Sun out,the clouds building,the sky darkening ( Just the right ingredients and atmosphere ) it starts to get really promising then next thing before you know it the bloody convection has moved on down towards London Lol and then nothing happens here but a dull blanket of grey sky grrrr

:lazy: I hope you have some luck this Summer and everyone else.

I think I'm going to be here for a long time yet.

Posted

ROLL CALL PLEASE!!

Well apart from 1st May when a storm came from literally nowhere, and last night/this morning which looked almost certain but instead just received a short spell of heavy rain at around 5:30am

I think Jane Louise, I may be a long term member of the NSC. But still, only early June, all of June, July, August and September to go yet so never give up hope.*

*Unless you live in Cheltenham. laugh.gif

Phil.

Posted

Thanks Phil :( LOL :lol:

Yes,I guess we still have the rest of Summer to go yet .But we will see lol

Now why oh why can't we have something like this : lol :shok:

MWERi-cbd00c112e903853a6bad517d7f0e61f.png

Posted

Frustrating here as usual.Last night all the action was about 10 mile to my East and so far today it's all just to my SW :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

I would like to declare my exit of this club as i report a nice little storm at 1am last night with a few flashes of very pretty IC/CC Lightning and some deep rumbles of Thunder. Torrential rain just to my SE. :)

Good luck to the rest of you but i shall keep checking back and keep the motivation up! :)

Posted

It's not fair anymore :):)

I think the storms only happen North and East now ( Although I know not everyone gets one), I guess us Westerners can now say goodbye to Storms, It seems we will never see one again (sob):)

Hi ANYWEATHER,

I think back a few years ago, your area and Cheltenham used to get some really good storms but now they've vanished into thin air.:....................................................................

Hi Jane. Yep, I think the last notable thunderstorm we had here was in the Summer of 2003. Lots of cloud to ground lightning and great bangs and booms of thunder......

Edited by ANYWEATHER

Posted

Frustrating here as usual.Last night all the action was about 10 mile to my East and so far today it's all just to my SW :)

:( Typical.I wish you luck again for this year lol:)

I would like to declare my exit of this club as i report a nice little storm at 1am last night with a few flashes of very pretty IC/CC Lightning and some deep rumbles of Thunder. Torrential rain just to my SE. :)

Good luck to the rest of you but i shall keep checking back and keep the motivation up! :)

Ooooh you lucky bugar, Off you go,go on don't rub it in lol:winky: You will still see me sitting in the corner here brushing the cobwebs away lol:lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Lol. The SE had a very disappointing night so the East Mids stole the show for a change and im pleased for them. :)