Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The No Storms Club 2010

Jane Louise

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Now C'mon, this is another chance for us Midlanders and a good chance at that.

Today WILL be the day...

...I Hope....i really really hope for Jane's Sake! :cold::shok:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Now C'mon, this is another chance for us Midlanders and a good chance at that.

Today WILL be the day...

...I Hope....i really really hope for Jane's Sake! :cold::shok:

Awwww, thanks Blizzards. Good luck to you too :):excl::good:

Posted

I got my first, on 1st (Strangley enough!) Pics coming up, well here's one of them anyway. Don't know where it came from. Dan Corbett said on Radio Five Live this morning that the Midlands would have sunshine and showers. Didn't mention an evening thunderstorm going against the upcoming SW front as it was moving in a NW-SE direction??

Annnnyway. Have a pic of tonights action. (And I got wet and pelted with 2cm+ hail just for you lot. :-)

More to follow, (when I can)!

Phil. (Jane, your storms will come! xx)

post-8209-12727530607312_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Some from the West Midlands and Warwickshire and parts of Staffordshire can leave this club tonight. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Looks like I'm another member to say farewell to this club, with the thunder and lightning and heavy precipitation earlier.

*borrows tissue* Noooooooooo, I don't want to go. Thanks alot thunderstorm. cray.gif

Edit: Actually, nah, I think I might stay a little longer. Perhaps had the thundery weather been 10% more severe, then I probably may have had to go.

Edited by Rainbow Snow

Posted

You're joking mate. Here in Solihull this storm had gone mental, one IC flash about every 30 seconds, if not even less than.

But let us hope that it will be the Summer set up. (With baited breath!) More pics from tonight will follow. (I hate Windows 7!) Can't do it tomorrow as I have a 40th Birthday to attend... (Mine!! :) ) ;-)

Phil.

Posted

I would agree that the thunder and lightning had become frequent, with quite a few flashes scattered about the place. Perhaps the precipitation here was not quite as intense with the 2cm hail you had, however. Might be due to me living in an area of Solihull where the precipitation was a touch lighter.

Edited by Rainbow Snow

Posted

It was right above me mate. I saw what I thought was some bright pink flash. Thinking, police again, have gone girly with pink lights but then big boom of thunder and thought "Yeah! I'm having some of this!"

10 minutes later, big dark cloud (And I mean dark!!) rolled over and the sky lit up with a pink flash every 25 seconds or so. Heavy rain, quarter inch hail. Was that intense at one point that you'd be going back to the 17th December 2009 snowstorm. But it seemed to have run out of electricity after dark, otherwise I would have, and for the first time since 1994, taken pics of night time storm activity.

Maybe later. Maybe I should do one of those YouTube Hitler downfall parodies. I have the DVD

"Mein Fuhrer, There is no overnight storm..."

Phil. ;-)

Posted

I think RichardR's post regarding peoples' perspective on the same storm is relevent in this case. From my perspective, the storm didn't really feel like a storm, more a period of moderate-heavy rainfall with a couple of distant lightning flashes and some rumbles of thunder. However if I had been directly underneath the cell, then I would have probably seen most, if not all of the lightning strikes that caused the rumbles of thunder I heard from a distance.

Not downplaying its intensity, just that from my perspective it felt rather weak. smile.gif

I think it would be fair to say that the frequency of the thunder, lightning and intense precipitation were concentrated over small areas, anyway. There was one point where a shower just to the North-West developed rapidly out the blue, (the collision with the mild air from the South-West and the colder air from the East must have helped), and then extended Southwards joining to meet other areas of precipitation.

Personally, although what I witnessed this evening was intense, I feel that the storm here needed to last for at least over an hour with a longer spell of thunder and lightning, to definitly make my mind up about leaving the club. Also, the heavy rain/hail itself did not arrive that quickly when the thunder and lightning had really got going.cool.gif

Posted

I got my first, on 1st (Strangley enough!) Pics coming up, well here's one of them anyway. Don't know where it came from. Dan Corbett said on Radio Five Live this morning that the Midlands would have sunshine and showers. Didn't mention an evening thunderstorm going against the upcoming SW front as it was moving in a NW-SE direction??

Annnnyway. Have a pic of tonights action. (And I got wet and pelted with 2cm+ hail just for you lot. :-)

More to follow, (when I can)!

Phil. (Jane, your storms will come! xx)

Hi Phil,

Great pic and glad you gotta storm:D

Me! I got nothing as usual lol just plenty of rain that was well needed.:D

I just want to mention to all. I feel a couple of rumbles of Thunder and lightning does not necessary represent a storm in my book.

And I just want to say, as I notice a couple of new members of NW getting a bit funny about it. I don't want this club to turn into a full blown argument, so please carry on as before and remember !! it's all just a bit of fun.:)

You're joking mate. Here in Solihull this storm had gone mental, one IC flash about every 30 seconds, if not even less than.

But let us hope that it will be the Summer set up. (With baited breath!) More pics from tonight will follow. (I hate Windows 7!) Can't do it tomorrow as I have a 40th Birthday to attend... (Mine!! :lol: ) ;-)

Phil.

Happy Birthday Phil :rolleyes::)

Posted

Thank you for the Birthday wishes, Jane. good.gifHope you get that long lost storm soon. :-)

And in return, another pic from yesterday evening... (Takes time to compress these piccy files you know, so sorry for the delay. Another 3 to come). :rolleyes:

Had a thought last night whilst dozing off. If we have a 'No Storms Club' Then could I theoretically set up something called a 'Many Storms Club'? (Or something of that ilk)?

Phil.

post-8209-12728046804048_thumb.jpg

Posted

I just want to mention to all. I feel a couple of rumbles of Thunder and lightning does not necessary represent a storm in my book.

And I just want to say, as I notice a couple of new members of NW getting a bit funny about it. I don't want this club to turn into a full blown argument, so please carry on as before and remember !! it's all just a bit of fun.smile.gif

Yes to me a thunderstorm has to include lots of lightning and thunder (preferably overhead) and its silly to call one rumble of thunder a thunderstorm.

The point of my original post though was that "storm", on its own, without the "thunder" prefix, can be any type of disturbed weather, lightning or not. The problem with this thread is that it is not making the distinction between "storm" and "THUNDERstorm". It should infact be called the "no THUNDERSTORMS" or "No T-Storm" club.

But yes I agree that a "thunderstorm" is more than just a few rumbles of thunder. Duh.

Edited by RichardR

Posted

I am still in this club. I certainly would count a Thunderstorm being more than a rumble or two and a flash or two like we had here last night but areas like Solihull certainly had a good little storm last night. :rolleyes:

Posted

Yes to me a thunderstorm has to include lots of lightning and thunder (preferably overhead) and its silly to call one rumble of thunder a thunderstorm.

The point of my original post though was that "storm", on its own, without the "thunder" prefix, can be any type of disturbed weather, lightning or not. The problem with this thread is that it is not making the distinction between "storm" and "THUNDERstorm". It should infact be called the "no THUNDERSTORMS" or "No T-Storm" club.

But yes I agree that a "thunderstorm" is more than just a few rumbles of thunder. Duh.

Richard R,whoever you are??

You don't have to get funny ok matey!! being as you are not using smiley/emoticons I dunno know what way to take your comment!!!!

Ok then!! If it's not to your satisfaction! then you take over the No THUNDERstorms club then. I can't be asked.Guess there's always one!!!

Edited by Jane Louise

Posted

*the multi-coloured snowflake is playing thunderstorm music in the background* (lol). biggrin.gif

Posted

Sorry Phil, hope you don't mind me asking, but how did you manage to take a picture of the lightning, yet maintain the quality of the photo?

Posted

Hi, Rainbow Snow. What I do take videos via Canon PowerShot A570 IS digital camera, (7.1Mpx) upload the vids, play, then freeze frame what I want to capture and hit the print screen key, then edit to a respectable size and as bandwidth is expensive, I try to keep my images as small as possible without losing any quality. I use PhotoImpact XL and MS Paint. (My secret's out now! ;-) )

Not always easy to do I will add but as you can see on this thread, if it works correct, then it does pay dividends. :-)

As long as the recipient is happy, and you know how to cheat, then so be it! :)

And Richard R. A thunderstorm is, like on Saturday here in Solihull, lightning and thunder that persists for a while, at least half hour. I think what you're referring to is a shower with the odd passing clap of thunder. (Usually taking a SE track in Winter) Now we've had this sort of discussion before as in what defines a thunderstorm?

So, what is a proper defined thunderstorm? My definition...

A hot and sultry day in Summer, convection begins mid morning and by late afternoon/early evening as a high pressure system breaks down allowing a Spanish plume to invade. Massive Cb development as local and French convection takes place due to an occluded front then all hell breaks loose with lightning, be it CG+/-, IC+/-, booming thunder, plenty of rain and hail. (Especially overnight moving up over the English Channel. Not seen that since 1994).

Hope this has helped.

Phil.

Posted

I wonder if I will get a rumble of thunder today lol:)

Posted

Nah, think I'll stick around. Two flashes of lightning and a few rumbles of thunder doesn't constitute a thunderstorm in my book. :rofl: Was still an interesting evening, though.

I would be elated with that! Haven't seen any lightning (oh hang on 1 very distant sheet flash while driving on 23 Dec!) since Sept 2008 and only heard 4 rumbles (2 incidents of 2 rumbles) in the whole of 2009 from distant thundery showers last summer!!

Was obviously spoilt in 2008 lol!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

I wonder if I will get a rumble of thunder today lol:)

Hi Jane, hope you get thunder today too :drinks:, Ill be keeping my eye around your area and all other western areas cool.gif

Edited by Stormyking

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

I am making a bold prediction & say, I don't think I will see any storms this Spring/Summer. Since 2006 any storms have been at a premium around here, & this year is no exception.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

I sincerely believe that over the last few years thunderstorms have become less and less common or likely in the British Isles for whatever reason.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I sincerely believe that over the last few years thunderstorms have become less and less common or likely in the British Isles for whatever reason.

Sod believing RichardR, I make you 100% correct!

Last year was a bang on average year for the South East - myself witnessing 15 thunder days, couple of them quite intense. Other areas though (poor JL for one) fell below average once again. The last 5 or so years have been dire storm wise and tending to fall below average for respective areas! Home grown events on the whole have a tendency not to produce nowadays, while many plume thunderstorms which used to slam the south coast, tend to swing NE across Benelux merely clipping the far East of Kent (bar the odd exception or two)

Thunderstorm patterns over the past few years strongly suggest to me there is climate change occurring to some degree! I am hopeful that this year will buck the increasing trend, however am growing increasingly pessimistic as so far we are almost in June with not one NOTABLE thunderstorm event (just occasional cells with no notable characteristics). End of this week is showing some signs of more widespread convective activity, but whether it comes off or not will yet to be seen!! :rolleyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

The last three Augusts were certainly short on thunder activity- the first half of August 2008 may have been quite thundery in Norwich but I'm aware that this was the exception rather than the rule. However, the Julys of 2007 and 2009 were both exceptionally thundery in the Tyne and Wear area with 5 and 7 thunder-days respectively at Cleadon. July 2009 admittedly had a very strong west-east split with the east getting lots of storms and the west getting hardly any.

The change in UK thunder activity occurred a while ago- Philip Eden in "A Change In The Weather", 2003, pointed to a decline in July & August thunderstorms starting in the 1990s, and a decline in June thunderstorms starting in the 2000s.

Posted

bit of a disappointing end to the heatwave me thinks, a few storms wouldn't of gone a miss, going be humid tomorrow!