Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The No Storms Club 2010

Jane Louise

Posted

Thank you, Jane Louise. smile.gif Just as a precaution in case Spring/Summer/Autumn 2010 turns out to be a damp squib. (2007 and 2008 spring to mind!)

(Incidentally, if Cheltenham gets more storms than most this year, should this thread be re-named "Most Storms Club 2010"? biggrin.gif

Oh, and Cookie...

That storm 170 miles away, I watched with interest. That big fat lump of heavy PPN that was connected to the squall line. Just dropped about an hours worth of heavy rain over here. Any sferics had died down to nil by the time it hit Birmingham. (See why I re-joined the No Storms Club now!) biggrin.gif The storm you heard of was over Belgium.

Phil.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Blimey have to leave already. Thunder heard.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

No thunder here so far,the last time there was any thundery showers in april was back in 2005.,early hours 30th/May 1st lasting from 3.30 to 5am.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/2005/Rrea00120050430.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/2005/Rrea00120050501.gif

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

From Mid May onwards we tend to start seeing the bigger storms in the SE, well from memory anyway!

All of my exam periods growing up, SATS, GCSE's, IB, all had big thunderstorm events, both through the night and through the exams themselves.

Considering last May I didn't see a single flash, or hear a single rumble, surely that can't replicate this year can it? (Here anyway - I certainly hope not in the States ;))

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Had been trying to remember a date when a rather active thunderstorm moved over this region during the early hours of the morning, and I'm pretty sure it occured in April 2005, but wasn't sure of the exact date. The storm's attributes consisted of frequent intra-cloud lightning (a flash every 3-5 seconds) and torrential rainfall. Think the date you have stated is probably the one I'm thinking of, and also because of the time period you have stated.

April and May have been good months for thunderstorms for this region over the years.

I do remember an early season plume around late April that bought some elevated storms to Kent overnight around then - though was nothing spectacular, but thunder is one thing I don't mind being woken up by in the night. Was a pleasant warm sunny day preceding with the usual build of Accas from the south.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I do remember an early season plume around late April that bought some elevated storms to Kent overnight around then - though was nothing spectacular, but thunder is one thing I don't mind being woken up by in the night. Was a pleasant warm sunny day preceding with the usual build of Accas from the south.

I'm exactly the same as the bit quoted in bold.

Re. early season plumes in late April, we've had a few- there was one in late April 2004 following a brief warm sunny spell, and I think there was one in late April 2008 as well. The 2005 one hit on the 1st/2nd May although it's possible that some thundery imports might have hit the SE late on the 30th April.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Room for one more in this club? :cray:

I dont remember the last time we had any thunderstorms in april, we tend to get ours from may/june onwards. Our last proper thunderstorms were in june last year, where there was literally one after another after another for several hours lasting from the evening right through till around midnight/early hours maybe but i fell asleep by then! Hope to get atleast one good storm this year, and sooner rather than later!

Posted

Hello All!

Well im so far part of this club but as soon as i see a storm i will leave but will be intresting to see how long i last in here :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Hello All!

Well im so far part of this club but as soon as i see a storm i will leave but will be intresting to see how long i last in here sad.gif

Hi Tom

I swear you told me back in February that you had 1 or 2 rumbles of thunder, whether that counts as a storm im not sure :L.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Welcome new members,:) let's hope we are all out of this club by the end of the year.:(

Posted

Hi Jane

I'm not part of the no storm club lol

I was just saying that to tom because I know him and have done for about 3 years.

Anyway I wish everyone good luck for 2010 and hope everyone sees a storm.

Posted

Hi Jane

I'm not part of the no storm club lol

I was just saying that to tom because I know him and have done for about 3 years.

Anyway I wish everyone good luck for 2010 and hope everyone sees a storm.

Hi StormyKing:)

You are soo lucky that you're not in the NSC lol:D

Thank you for the Good luck I'mma certainly going to need it lol:lol:

Hi Tom

I swear you told me back in February that you had 1 or 2 rumbles of thunder, whether that counts as a storm im not sure :L.

1 or 2 Rumbles of thunder counts as a thundery shower or thundery rain :drinks: (runs and hides)

It has to be a storm lasting at least 10 minutes:)

Posted

Thats okay Jane, I dont like seeing people left out, I have a few relatives that live in Gloucester.

I reckon you will get a storm this year, i have a good feeling that it will be a good storm year.

Will be Interesting to see how long people remain of the No Storms club and yeh 1 or 2 rumbles of thunder dosent really count as a storm so sorry to Tom i got mixed up :rolleyes:.

Anyway thanks for the reply about whether 1 or 2 rumbles count or not :lol:

Good Luckgood.gif

Posted

Thats okay Jane, I dont like seeing people left out, I have a few relatives that live in Gloucester.

I reckon you will get a storm this year, i have a good feeling that it will be a good storm year.

Will be Interesting to see how long people remain of the No Storms club and yeh 1 or 2 rumbles of thunder dosent really count as a storm so sorry to Tom i got mixed up sad.gif.

Anyway thanks for the reply about whether 1 or 2 rumbles count or not smile.gif

Good Luckgood.gif

Hi ya StormyKing,

I do hope we get at least one storm this yearsmile.gif I read an article this-morning saying it's going to be a really hot scorching Summer. August is going to be the hottest and we should be getting thunderstorms at the beginning of August.It will probably miss Glos though Lol.

Fingers crossed again for a good storm season this year biggrin.gif

Posted

Hi ya StormyKing,

I do hope we get at least one storm this yearsmile.gif I read an article this-morning saying it's going to be a really hot scorching Summer. August is going to be the hottest and we should be getting thunderstorms at the beginning of August.It will probably miss Glos though Lol.

Fingers crossed again for a good storm season this year biggrin.gif

Hi Jane

I never read articles as they tend to say the same thing all the time about winter and summer, but I do reckon it will be a nice summer with plenty of Thunderstorms and i am sure Glos will get a storm so keep positive :rolleyes:

Posted

Well I left the no storms club a couple of weeks ago, A cold front swung in from the SW coating everything in small hail, Paul hudson was wetting himself with excitement!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

I think, because we have had three cool-ish, unsettled Summers in the last few years (although, personally, I thought last Summer was not that bad) I have to agree with some of the others that this Summer will end up being hot at times with some great storm potential.

I have a stormy feeling about it, plus the fact the weather can clearly inject us with the suspense we need, by surprising us with its sudden downpours which then suddenly clear to blue skies.

Nice to hear, also, that some of you have already had some, and hope that foranyone who wants to see some storms this year will receive some - I think there is a good chance I feel. biggrin.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

It was a year ago tonight that we had the first plume type thunderstorm of 2009..A cracker that hit the Birmingham area around 6 in the morning....Sadly still waiting for the first sniff of activity in 2010

Posted

Good luck to everyone that is part of the No storms clubs for sunday hope some one gets a storm at least :lol:

Posted

Good luck to everyone that is part of the No storms clubs for sunday hope some one gets a storm at least smile.gif

Thank you and good luck to you too.smile.gifgood.gif

well i be out of the no storm club bye sundaygood.gif

Hmmm Stuart, I think that you may well be a member for a long time yet. But who knows ! you may get Lucky yetbiggrin.gif Good luck smile.gif

Posted

Thank you and good luck to you too.smile.gifgood.gif

Hmmm Stuart, I think that you may well be a member for a long time yet. But who knows ! you may get Lucky yetbiggrin.gif Good luck smile.gif

Hope everybody gets a good storm but im going to put a downer on proceedings! I feel that storms are going to be sparse as i was telling StormyKing the other day! as long as were stuck in the pattern weve been the last 3/4 years(south tracking jet/cooler tempsetc) sorry to seem a numbnut for saying it on this thread :whistling::lol:;)

Posted

Hope everybody gets a good storm but im going to put a downer on proceedings! I feel that storms are going to be sparse as i was telling StormyKing the other day! as long as were stuck in the pattern weve been the last 3/4 years(south tracking jet/cooler tempsetc) sorry to seem a numbnut for saying it on this thread whistling.giflaugh.giftease.gif

Hey Joggs, I understand where your coming from, I agree about the disappointment of the pass 3 summers though i didnt find 2009 too bad and 2006 gave the best July month of my life and the best storm Ive ever seen, I thnk it depends where you live really but i maybe wrong lol.

For some reason I do have a really good feeling about this summer and believe that there will be quite a few storms

Thank you Jane and good luck to you aswell Joggs :D

Posted

Hope everybody gets a good storm but im going to put a downer on proceedings! I feel that storms are going to be sparse as i was telling StormyKing the other day! as long as were stuck in the pattern weve been the last 3/4 years(south tracking jet/cooler tempsetc) sorry to seem a numbnut for saying it on this thread whistling.giflaugh.giftease.gif

Hi joggs,

Hope you're wrong....nonono.gif noooooooooo.Fingers crossed anyway, we may get a suprise.biggrin.gif