Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The No Storms Club 2010

Jane Louise

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Yes, I know, it's way to early yet to see a storm, but I'm just setting it up early <_<

Anyways!! Roll on Storm season and get me out of this club grrrrrrrr:D

Posted

woo hoo!!!

My favourite thread.

As soon as there is the potential for storms i will be posting on here, anyway - HAPPY CUMULONIMBUS WATCHING! drunk.gif

Posted

Sorry Jane Louise but as it is about you hopefully leaving the "No Storms Club" before 2015 we pay homage to you!

Good luck for 2010

Paul S

Posted

Glad to see you back Mark Lol... I guess your be in here all summer long with me :whistling:

Lol Paul, I love that video:lol: I just hope I don't have to wait until 2015.I have a funny feeling 2010 will be my year lol. ( I say that every year and now I think I have gone and jinxed it once again)I will be trying reverse psychology like I did with the snow and funny enough I actually did get snow.So here's hoping I get me a storm lol.

Hi cookie,

Storms down my way usually start April, May time , So still a few months to go yet. Although I wont get a storm then or anytime ,One can only hope!!:lol:

Posted

Im confident i won't be a member of this club for too long this year,afterall lincs usually does very well for storms :lol: :D :D :whistling:

Posted

Oh Shaun!! You're making me Jealous lol.. Good luck to you though and if you do get a storm please send one my way:D

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Traditionally the period Jan-March is least unfavourable time of year for thunderstorms, as the contrast between sea and air temp gets less and less as the sea cools to its lowest temp in March, and convection overland doesn't really get going until early April when the sun is stronger.

Having said that, occasionally if an Atlantic cold front is active/sharp enough, it may bring the odd rumble as it passes. And very cold easterlies or northerlies have been known to bring thundersnow.

• 1 month later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, humid & exciting

Jane Louise - Im a fellow Gloucester person now, I was over near Stonehouse but now Im Gloucester proper!

Sorry to say I feel like im already out of the no storms club though due to this happening the other day:

Keep watching the skies!

Posted

dont get me wrong! its nice to see some sun but this is just so borrrring!

we are moving to chatham kent in july so hopefully we will see some good storms there over the summer hols!

BRING ON THE STORMS!!!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I haven't had any thunderstorms so far this year- but the most recent one was a thundersnow event at Cleadon on New Year's Eve, so stretching the definition just a little! In contrast there's been no shortage of convective snowstorms near the North Sea coasts.

We are fast approaching the time of year when homegrown showers can turn into thunderstorms though- while thundersnow from cold northerlies traditionally arises from convection generated over the North Sea, there were fairly widespread reports of it across inland areas on the 19th March 2007. Easter Monday 2008 in Cleadon had no thunder, but a very sharp snow squall that evening as a cumulonimbus sprouted up over land in the north-north-westerly airstream. But as a general rule mean thunder probability doesn't approach its maximum for most parts of the country until May.

Posted

Jane Louise - Im a fellow Gloucester person now, I was over near Stonehouse but now Im Gloucester proper!

Sorry to say I feel like im already out of the no storms club though due to this happening the other day:

http://forum.netweat...2entry1790692

Keep watching the skies!

Wow! Joey.How lucky you were to see that. It's certainly looking promising for storm season in Glos now.biggrin.gif

Only a month or so to go now.Will we have any or wont we? that is the question lolsmile.gif

I haven't had any thunderstorms so far this year- but the most recent one was a thundersnow event at Cleadon on New Year's Eve, so stretching the definition just a little! In contrast there's been no shortage of convective snowstorms near the North Sea coasts.

We are fast approaching the time of year when homegrown showers can turn into thunderstorms though- while thundersnow from cold northerlies traditionally arises from convection generated over the North Sea, there were fairly widespread reports of it across inland areas on the 19th March 2007. Easter Monday 2008 in Cleadon had no thunder, but a very sharp snow squall that evening as a cumulonimbus sprouted up over land in the north-north-westerly airstream. But as a general rule mean thunder probability doesn't approach its maximum for most parts of the country until May.

Looking forward to April and Maybiggrin.gif A few years back we had a small storm in Glos which happened on May 12th. Let's hope we get a good year this year.biggrin.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Would that have been May 12th 2006? I remember some localised but quite intense homegrown ones around that time, the 12th itself had a couple of fairly big ones in Leeds while I was there (with large hail reported nearby, further out towards York) and Reading was hit by a big one a day or two earlier.

Posted

Would that have been May 12th 2006? I remember some localised but quite intense homegrown ones around that time, the 12th itself had a couple of fairly big ones in Leeds while I was there (with large hail reported nearby, further out towards York) and Reading was hit by a big one a day or two earlier.

Yes I do believe it was 2006smile.gif It wasen't much of a storm but it was good enough to start the storm season off. I can remember following the radar that evening then jumping in the car to drive up to the top of the hill timing it right to catch my first rumble of thunder and a flash of lightning for that year..I was pretty pleased with myself that I had timed it right lol but then it got a little scary being on top of a hill so decided to watch it down on ground level lolbiggrin.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Best of luck this year JL!

I've had thunder this year, in Feb - rogue crack and bang over London. Had some cracking thundersnow on Dec 18th too. That said, all quiet at the moment as you'd expect.

Last year, April 15th and 16th brought imports overnight - not especially active, but pleasant watching nonetheless.

Roll on Summer 10, nothing more exciting than watching storms erupt over the continent, tracking their pace NW/N/NE and waiting patiently several hours later for the anvils to crawl in, the sun to set, the humidity to rise and the first flashes appearing on the horizon! May there be many for all :yahoo:

Posted

Best of luck this year JL!

I've had thunder this year, in Feb - rogue crack and bang over London. Had some cracking thundersnow on Dec 18th too. That said, all quiet at the moment as you'd expect.

Last year, April 15th and 16th brought imports overnight - not especially active, but pleasant watching nonetheless.

Roll on Summer 10, nothing more exciting than watching storms erupt over the continent, tracking their pace NW/N/NE and waiting patiently several hours later for the anvils to crawl in, the sun to set, the humidity to rise and the first flashes appearing on the horizon! May there be many for all biggrin.gif

Thank you Harrybiggrin.gif

I say this every year but, I'm hoping this year will be really good for storms for everybody, espeicially here in Glos.

There is nothing like ,after a hot gorgeous sunny day in Summer when in the evening it starts to cool down the sky starts looking eerie and "bang" a thunderstorm arrives.Yay!!biggrin.gif fingers crossed for us all. Yes,roll on Summer time biggrin.gif

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

I'm looking forward to this years thunderstorm season! Last year we did very well with thunderstorms.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Time to sign up for this one. Sheffield shield up and running.

Posted

Hello, and thank you, Jane Louise for setting up the "No storms club 2010". (You have to see one this year surely and we want photographic evidence too. :-) )

Earliest Spring storm was in 2009 was at 07:20am on 15th April. Intra cloud lightning predominantley but did also observe two CGs, heavy rain with intense pea sized hail as I'm sure that some can testify to on that particular morning.

With your permission to re-new membership Spring/Summer/Autumn (sort of!) 2010.

Regards. biggrin.gif

Phil.

Edited by Phil UK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

I would probably kind of count myself as being a member of the No Storms Club with no servere storms experienced yet, although their was some windy weather with some super heavy downpours yesterday in the Birmingham area.

Then again, with the absence of hail, thunder, lightning, and severe winds with more of the stormy weather being in the far South, does this mean I still be a member of the club?

Or perhaps just have a bronze membership (I was also thinking of designing a No Storms Club Logo). smile.gif

Edited by Rainbow Snow

Posted

Yay!! Another Solihull member. smile.gif

I think it was in August 2004 when we in dearest Solihull had storm development and moved north to Yorkshire, and a good friend of mine blamed ME for the severe storms of that century. (I'm not God. She wanted a storm, she got one!! biggrin.gif ) I'd love an overnight lightning storm which, and as you'll agree not seen since 1994)

Phil.

Edited by Phil UK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Howdy,

Makes me think that the weather can really be very devious at times; one minute it's creeping up on us with hammering rain, and the next a some unlucky person(s) gets blamed for making it happen. It's bad I tell you. Very Bad...sad.gif

I hope the weather can cook up a really big storm this year (even though I do get a little nervous of the lightning, lol).

Edit:

Some logos I've designed underneath for the No Storms Club. Personally, I think the third one is the best, but what do you think?

post-10703-12696384613055_thumb.png

(click to enlarge).

Edited by Rainbow Snow

Posted

Lol, you're welcome Phil. Membership renewed:D

Thanks for the logo's Rainbow snow :) Welcome to TNSC 2010

Seems we still got some of the old members from last year here to lol.

Here's to the 2010 Storm season :drinks::D

Pit, I think Sheffield is just as bad as Cheltenham for storms lol.

Posted

I got teased last night with a thunderstorm.

I got an email to see a thunderstorm was in the vancinty from my local weather station, it was 170 miles away :)

Awwww, :( I know how you feel. Better luck next time eh !:)