Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Despite reaching 6c today, it still feels chilly in wind. Possibly a frost tonight.

I can't see AccuWeather's 9c forecasted for tomorrow materialising as they have been off by 2-3c all week. Just have to wait and see what Friday brings, surprising how their temperatures always seem to be off the mark; much like the GFS really.

Posted

Dayymm, looks like my forecast was wayy of the mark, if temps were just that little bit colder we would of gotten snow, the temp most of the night was 1.3c with a DP of 0.4c.

Posted

Hey guys the snow did not settle well much in lincoln:( the roads were wet 2-3 inches where there are less cars going up and down but i keep hearing that people saying we will get more but this atlantic weather keep blocking the cold coming in

Posted

Was at Malham Tarn today and it is still mostly frozen, evidence of the potency of the cold spell and also of the fairly recent average spell of temps, not high enough to thaw the ice out - looks like it is going to tak some shifting.

Plenty of deep snow drifts on the hills around the 400-500m contour. The depth of recent snow is all to see in the snow banks on many of the minor country roads in this part of the Dales, expect the further north east you go into the Pennines the more impressive these will be, its still a very wintry scene out there but also has a late winter air to it, but this is mid winter plenty of more snow for the hills yet, plenty more indeed!

Posted

Nice Country tracks forecast for the snow lovers among us :D

Looking quite wintry towards the end of the week

I hope im wrong mate, but i don't think there will be much in the way of snow for inland areas with a northerly.The charts have upgraded bigtime since yesterday, so hopefully the upgrades will continue :good:

Posted

I hope im wrong mate, but i don't think there will be much in the way of snow for inland areas with a northerly.The charts have upgraded bigtime since yesterday, so hopefully the upgrades will continue :oops:

I'm hoping the temperature gradients will bring some decent instability.

Also, a Northerly would give us much better air quality than of late, so I'm

looking forward to it for that reason alone

As you say, the potency and longevity appear to be upgrading with each run :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

AccuWeather Widget says maximum of 1C here tomorrow with snowfall. Whats the confidence on this?

Posted

AccuWeather Widget says maximum of 1C here tomorrow with snowfall. Whats the confidence on this?

Extremely marginal.

Although at some point during tomorrow, we could see some light snow, if that.

Depends when the precipitation is around, the thickness is poor, dew points become right side of marginal but when they do, the upper 850's rise. I would see a few flakes at best. Although in heavier precipitation, they could be some snowfall, but very unlikely to stick at lower levels. The 0c isotherm hits 150-200m tomorrow.

Posted

Looking good for later this week. Beats this murk anyway! We always seem to do great here with a strong Northerly setup like the one thats forecast. It's one of the few setups that more or less brings guarunteed snow. I know from my little experience that a northerly blast is when we seem to get really good accumulations. I love the convective showers that blow in from the North sea with cold winter sun inbetween. Iv'e also seen a few good thunder snow events from this setup.

Hopefully it won't downgrade!

post-10637-12643606803728_thumb.jpg

post-10637-12643607012428_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl

Had a few (literally a few) flakes of snow earlier today, sign of things to come :nonono:

Hopefully we get more than a couple of cm's out of this one this week, it does look very promising.

Posted

Had continuous light snow here in the morning/afternoon, lasted for 4 hours.

Posted

Can't wait, hope to get some snow in Cleethorpes whistling.gif at my Fathers house in winterton N lincs this weekend, hope both areas get snow drinks.gif

Edited by clee_snow

Posted

Fantastic runs tonight which would put the whole of Yorkshire at risk for disruptive snowfall if it came of.

In the short term there is a risk of widespread disruptive snowfall on Thursday/Friday, the BBC forecasts have hinted at the snow potential but are un-sure as to the track of the PPN. Either way we will all at some point get some snow from the front, either throughout the period or on the backing edge as the PPN moves south. After that it is time for the east coast to have some fun, some much deserved snow as the east coast hasn't done as well in the last cold spell as other areas. The whole of the coast should do really well from these snow showers and will defiantly make up for any none events. With Strong winds drifting snow will certainly be an issue, with 10-15cm+ possible.

Edited by 10123

Posted

I hope the coasts get more whistling.gif the best we got here on the humber was 6 cm cray.gif

Posted

Fantastic runs tonight which would put the whole of Yorkshire at risk for disruptive snowfall if it came of.

In the short term there is a risk of widespread disruptive snowfall on Thursday/Friday, the BBC forecasts have hinted at the snow potential but are un-sure as to the track of the PPN. Either way we will all at some point get some snow from the front, either throughout the period or on the backing edge as the PPN moves south. After that it is time for the east coast to have some fun, some much deserved snow as the east coast hasn't done as well in the last cold spell as other areas. The whole of the coast should do really well from these snow showers and will defiantly make up for any none events. With Strong winds drifting snow will certainly be an issue, with 10-15cm+ possible.

Really hope your right mate, I thought we did ok during the last cold spell. It was only when I went to Tong garden centre on the 17th that I reallised how much snow you guys must of had. There was still at least 3 inch even after a week of a moderate thaw. When should the fun and games begin?

Edited by Grimsby Snow Lover

Posted

Really hope your right mate, I thought we did ok during the last cold spell. It was only when I went to Tong garden centre on the 17th that I reallised how much snow you guys must of had. There was still at least 3 inch even after a week of a moderate thaw. When should the fun and games begin?

We did very well round these parts, at the peak of the cold spell in Jan there was 35cm in my back garden, on the last week 15cm thawed relatively quickly only to be topped up by another 10cm on the night when the Met changed there warnings from 30cm to 5cm.

Anyway it looks like you will get some light-moderate snow showers on Wednesday Night to Thursday evening, not really amounting to much 2-3cm probably. But then all this could get washed away if the PPN on Thursday Night turns out to be rain (which with every run is looking more and more likely). Then the fun and games begin for the coast, heavy snow showers are likely to form around 8AM Friday, lasting till the early hours of Saturday morning. Winds will then tilt slightly NW which will stop showers from hitting the coast. Admittedly that isn't much time for decent accumulations, but then there is Sunday Evening when a low moves down south with cold air embedded so any PPN will be snow, this could easily bring 5cm+ in it self. Coupled with strong winds at times drifting snow is very likley. By Monday morning I would expect all coastal areas to have at least 5cm with many areas 10-15cm with some exposed parts exceeding 15cm.

Edit: And if the BBC is correct then I'm going for 15-25cm of snow for West/South/North West Yorkshire

Edited by 10123

Posted

the best we got here on the humber was 6 cm

My area only got 14cm :crazy:

If we do get snow next week then i'll miss out on the fun and games on this site, as i won't be able to get online for around a week to 10 days :crazy:

Posted

I'm around guys, if i go missing i'm either;

1. In the model thread

2. Filling my face

3. Flat on my ass off the Stella :D

4. Working :crazy:

Models are fantastic.. A lot of uncertainity for this Fridays frontal event, UKMO going with the colder upper establishments where as the GFS ain't having any of it. Most likely outcome is a "in between" although it really depends on 2 factors;

1. Precipitation behind with the colder air digging south and under cutting it.

2. Dew point's especially as we are due to pick up a rather strong W/SW wind as the LP cuts through us.

Personally, i think it will be an "almost" afair, with it most likely falling as rain/sleet/wet snow for lower levels, thursday night during the early hours of friday. Higher ground (300m+) stand a better chance. As we go into Friday mid morning/afternoon the colder air is really digging south, with back edge snow extremely probably for all areas (even to lower levels).

Will it settle is another thing, although if the surface temp hits freezing, and the precipitation is heavy enough it will..

Into the weekend we see a Northerly to North Westerly air flow. Briefly switching between a NNW, N, NNE flow. Showers for our area more likely to be widespread during saturday night, and also during sunday afternoon, with them likely to push in that little further inland, although i expect places 40-50 miles inland staying rather dry, with the odd snow showers thrown in.

Into next week, well i'll just say the cold theme continues with some possible fantasy island events happening for real! :crazy:

More on this tomorrow, it's been such a fantastic day of models, and imho they can't get any better.

Good night all