Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

just to keep all your spirits up! ive uploaded this video of me snowboarding being towed by a landrover! haha :D

I remember you mentioning that Craig. I'll save watching it for

when Eastenders is on :o

Posted

just to keep all your spirits up! ive uploaded this video of me snowboarding being towed by a landrover! haha :o

Looks like great fun mate :D :D :D

Posted

Max of 2.6c today (at 6PM), the PPN came and temps were well below freezing and rain fell. Fortunately the rain wasn't heavy as most of it lost its intensity over the pennines, about 80% snow cover left, the only difference is the snow depth is considerably lees, about 10cm left.

I'm not sure why the BBC are so intrested in snow to low levels for northern England, the weather man said we would bring in colder air, so cold air undercutting the front? When the weather man zoomed in at 9am over SE England there was a blob of white to the north of London.

Any ideas?cc_confused.gif

Posted

Snow will be gone by the morning, for here. Temp rising over the past few hours. Currently 4.7c. Don't really care though lol smile.gif

Edited by mark bayley

Posted

Snow will be gone by the morning, for here. Temp rising over the past few hours. Currently 4.7c. Don't really care though lol smile.gif

2.8c here, can't imagine it lasting much longer, unless that surprise top up the BBC have in mind comes to play whistling.gif .

Posted
When the weather man zoomed in at 9am over SE England there was a blob of white to the north of London.

Any ideas?cc_confused.gif

That blob looks roughly where the Chilterns are, to me.

Posted

That blob looks roughly where the Chilterns are, to me.

My point was it was low ground lol, and that it was that far south that the beeb expected snow.

Posted

We've had almost everything in the book over the last half-hour - rain, sleet, freezing rain and heavy snow. Last night it was heavy rain and gusty wind and the deep snow cover has almost gone.

Looking forward to a nice sunny day tomorrow.

Posted

We've had almost everything in the book over the last half-hour - rain, sleet, freezing rain and heavy snow. Last night it was heavy rain and gusty wind and the deep snow cover has almost gone.

Looking forward to a nice sunny day tomorrow.

Likewise. During the heavier stuff we had this morning, the rain turned to snow :unsure:

Posted

Fresh set of METO weather warnings for Heavy snow, 10cm predicted for Wednesday yahoo.gif .

Posted

Thursday currently looks interesting, according to the 5 day forecast for Bradford on the BBC Weather website...

Posted

Wednesday and Thursday looking very good according to the latest forecasts. Looks like parts of the Midlands could see the heaviest snowfall though :whistling:

Posted

The GFS doesn't look too good for Snow on Wednesday, because the front doesn't make much progress west wards. Looks like the places with the Meto warnings are the places to get snow after all.

Posted

Yes, as is usually the case in these type of setups, it would seem that the best of the precipitation

will struggle to make progress this far North East.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Well well well this impressive, this High really is showing its teeth today. Freezing fog which is fairly unusual for my location is digging its heels in and shows no signs of waning. I guess there is still time, but if this persists all today and tomorrow as forecast I can North Sea SSTs dropping widely to 4c by Thursday.

Edited by rikki

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Nope no further snow this week after that who knows???

Posted

Nope no further snow this week after that who knows???

I'm going for widespread heavy snowfall on Friday.

Posted

Normal services resumed from Sunday evening/Monday.

Looks like our weather pattern has had a brief warm up before shunting colder air from the East from early next week onwards.

Could be some very impressive snowfall amounts monday/tuesday. And tbh, i think it's a weather pattern that will continue until at least the middle of feb.

Lewis

Posted

Ive come up with a forecast for Fridays possible snow event:

West/South/North West Yorkshire: Front arriving at around 11-12pm, the front is likely to start of as snow in all areas. On low ground the snow could continue for several hours leading to temporary accumulations of 1-3cm, the front is likely turn to a wintry mixture of rain sleet and wet snow throughout the night till early morning. If the precipitation is heavy enough some areas could well retain there snow cover, but unlikely to increase in depth, the general idea is for 1-3cm at most. For higher ground (150-200m+) there is a significantly higher risk for disruptive snowfall, the front is likely to stay as snowfall for at least 3-5 hours, this could lead to accumulations of 5-10cm, coupled with a strengthening wind blizzard conditions could develop over western facing hills. Whether the front stays as snow is unknown, ground above 350m is likely to hold on to the snowfall throughout the night/morning, ground above 150m again will be subject to a wintry mixture of rain, snow and mostly sleet.

East/North East Yorkshire/Lincolnshire: Front arriving at around 12-1am, the front is likely to start of as snow, perhaps wet snow. The snow is likely to last for minutes-1hour, leading to temporary accumulations of 1-2cm, the snow will rapidly turn to rain and wash away any snow cover. The rain may turn to sleet or very wet snow at times, but the general idea is for rain preceded by snow.

Edited by 10123

Posted

Ive come up with a forecast for Fridays possible snow event:

West/South/North West Yorkshire: Front arriving at around 11-12pm, the front is likely to start of as snow in all areas. On low ground the snow could continue for several hours leading to temporary accumulations of 1-3cm, the front is likely turn to a wintry mixture of rain sleet and wet snow throughout the night till early morning. If the precipitation is heavy enough some areas could well retain there snow cover, but unlikely to increase in depth, the general idea is for 1-3cm at most. For higher ground (150-200m+) there is a significantly higher risk for disruptive snowfall, the front is likely to stay as snowfall for at least 3-5 hours, this could lead to accumulations of 5-10cm, coupled with a strengthening wind blizzard conditions could develop over western facing hills. Whether the front stays as snow is unknown, ground above 350m is likely to hold on to the snowfall throughout the night/morning, ground above 150m again will be subject to a wintry mixture of rain, snow and mostly sleet.

East/North East Yorkshire/Lincolnshire: Front arriving at around 12-1am, the front is likely to start of as snow, perhaps wet snow. The snow is likely to last for minutes-1hour, leading to temporary accumulations of 1-2cm, the snow will rapidly turn to rain and wash away any snow cover. The rain may turn to sleet or very wet snow at times, but the general idea is for rain preceded by snow.

What snow event? there isn't one

Posted

I agree, and if the ECM comes off then i'll be saving money on my heating bills, as it's a shocker for cold/snow lovers :drinks:

Posted

I mean Thursday night, the BBC graphics are going for snow here, and BBC weather video forecast are going for snow for high ground for inland areas of northern england with blizzards on the pennines.