Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Prognosis for tomorrow ?

Today we've lost perhaps an inch of the ten inches or so lying in the fields and moors around our location.

GFS has ppn arriving around 0600 tomorrow but what will it be ? I would expect snow at this height ASL (~1100ft) but Helen Willets was rather vague and did mention freezing rain which would put the kybosh on an early travel start.

Does freezing rain mean the roads would be like they were yesterday?

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Forecast for freezing rain looks unlikely thankfully. Temps holding up here 1.4C and that steady drip drip sound of melting snow. Temps on the up from now on and any snow confined to the hills unless there's a lot of atmospheric cooling. A remote chance of cold returning next week but unlikely.

So by Saturday there ends the cold spell.

Posted

Forecast for freezing rain looks unlikely thankfully. Temps holding up here 1.4C and that steady drip drip sound of melting snow. Temps on the up from now on and any snow confined to the hills unless there's a lot of atmospheric cooling. A remote chance of cold returning next week but unlikely.

That's reassuring, thanks. I tend to use the Buxton station as an indicator of my local conditions rather than yours - he's at the same altitude and in similar surroundings. Temp there is stating to climb.

Does freezing rain mean the roads would be like they were yesterday?

Yes...black ice, - a nightmare. Helen Willets may have been talking about Wales when she mentioned it. Hopefully there will be a little more precision in the 2250 forecast on News24.

Posted

Temps on the down here with clear skies coldest night since January 10th!!!!

Posted

Okey Dokey!

Have spoken with the powers that be................and

Tomorrow there will be a New Sub Forum above this one near where the Snow Reports Live called "Regional Threads" and all the Regionals are going to be moved there and stay put for the winter, so this thread will be kept open until tomorrow when it will be moved into it's new home!

Regards

Paul S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

Okey Dokey!

Have spoken with the powers that be................and

Tomorrow there will be a New Sub Forum above this one near where the Snow Reports Live called "Regional Threads" and all the Regionals are going to be moved there and stay put for the winter, so this thread will be kept open until tomorrow when it will be moved into it's new home!

Regards

Paul S

Sounds interesting.

Well guys and girls thats it! The snow is sadly melting-n thts the worst part seeing it go but i suppose it has to go at some point! Winters just are'nt special anymore.This was a lovely cold spell but nothing to write home about compared to winters gone by and the charts have tht look about them tht says 'mild all the way now'!! lets hope not

Well guys and girls thats it! The snow is sadly melting-n thts the worst part seeing it go but i suppose it has to go at some point! Winters just are'nt special anymore.This was a lovely cold spell but nothing to write home about compared to winters gone by and the charts have tht look about them tht says 'mild all the way now'!! lets hope not

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Steady freezing rain here with a temp' of -0.2c, everything is coated in clear ice, plus we have thick freezing fog and 23cm of snow still lying; winter hangs on for the moment.

Posted

Nice warm ordinary rain here, temp is just on 1°C. BBC seem firm that tomorrow's ppn will be snow on high ground and we still have a lot of the stuff to melt away yet.

Hope you didn't venture out on the black ice TM - I was dreading it being black ice here.

Posted

i dont understand!????????????????????? the snow hasnt melted or washed away much and the fields are still pretty much covered in patches!

Posted

Moderate rain has arrive, here, with some sleet mixed in. Still have a fair amount of lying snow, but I should imagine most of it will be gone come the end of the day.

Posted

An awful morning here with constant rain :) tomorrow is looking wet aswell.

Have you got any lying snow left mate? or has it all been washed away?

Posted

Have you got any lying snow left mate? or has it all been washed away?

There's still bits of snow left in the fields, and a few piles in people's gardens surprisingly.

I just hope we get one last cold spell soon,as GP'S forecast for feb isn't looking great.

Posted

There's still bits of snow left in the fields, and a few piles in people's gardens surprisingly.

I just hope we get one last cold spell soon,as GP'S forecast for feb isn't looking great.

Yeh, the last few weeks have been quite memorable, so I shan't complain if we dont see another

cold spell this Winter. To be honest, though, we are overdue an Atlantic spell, as it's been remarkably

quiet of late.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry

Just watched the video forecast on the bbc weather site with Liam Dutton. He says that tomorrow morning will bring Snow to low levels in northern england in the morning before turning to rain.post-504-12635589323328_thumb.jpg

But to me with the 2m temps,850's and dewpoints all in positive figures it seems unlikley. I expect that those that live high up may see something early doors but to low levels? With it raining now for a couple of hours here in Leeds I would say that snow is even less likley,especialy as cold air isn't just going to appear from nowhere overnight.

The last thing I want is heavy snow on my way home from a night shift feeling very tired only for it to rain and wash it all away before I get up.

Posted

Yeh, the last few weeks have been quite memorable, so I shan't complain if we dont see another

cold spell this Winter. To be honest, though, we are overdue an Atlantic spell, as it's been remarkably

quiet of late.

nah i won't complain if we don't get another cold spell either.It's been fantastic so far this winter, so anything else would be a bonus IMO.Lets enjoy the rain for the next few weeks :shok:

Posted

nah i won't complain if we don't get another cold spell either.It's been fantastic so far this winter, so anything else would be a bonus IMO.Lets enjoy the rain for the next few weeks :shok:

I've heard a lot of people say that they'll be glad to see the back of this cold spell. I suppose it depends on where you live and how it affects your Work and daily life etc. To some, it is a major inconvenience. But, for those of us who would have liked the cold to last a little longer, our bills won't be so high and, also, you and I might be able to watch some football at long last :shok:

Posted

I've heard a lot of people say that they'll be glad to see the back of this cold spell. I suppose it depends on where you live and how it affects your Work and daily life etc. To some, it is a major inconvenience... I suppose, for those of us who would have liked the cold to last a little longer, our bills won't be so high and, also, you and I might be able to watch some football at long last :shok:

at least ill be able to get over the north york moors to surf the reefs north of whitby :shok: haha

Posted

I've heard a lot of people say that they'll be glad to see the back of this cold spell. I suppose it depends on where you live and how it affects your Work and daily life etc. To some, it is a major inconvenience. But, for those of us who would have liked the cold to last a little longer, our bills won't be so high and, also, you and I might be able to watch some football at long last :D

It was bad in the scunny town centre with the wind and rain :o talking of football, my mate said that wrexham have had around 8 games postponed in succession due to the weather :shok:

Posted

It was bad in the scunny town centre with the wind and rain :o talking of football, my mate said that wrexham have had around 8 games postponed in succession due to the weather :shok:

The way Wrexham have been playing, it will have done them a favour mate :D

at least ill be able to get over the north york moors to surf the reefs north of whitby :) haha

That's a good way to look at it Craig. We aren't always going to get snow, so the best way is to enjoy

what ever weather we have :)

Posted

Did you used to live in Canada or Norway? Its not been a 63 or 47 however in terms of cold (not just snow) its been high up in the list of good winters. You make it sound as if this winter has been just like any other one of recent times. Every winter from the 1900's did not have days and days of lying snow!

Still some snow on the ground here. There is some massive piles of the stuff in car parks etc... Will be interesting to see how long it takes to melt!

Edited by mark bayley

Posted

just to keep all your spirits up! ive uploaded this video of me snowboarding being towed by a landrover! haha :blush: