Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Heavy rain and very cold. I know what I prefer...

I see the 00z GFS remains consistent with bringing the Scandi/Russian HP into play from around the 19th, as it has done repeatedly for a long time now. Genuine stand off seems to develop around this period 20-22 between east and west, for want of a better phrase; at this time, it looks like a fairly brief though cold incursion, especially the further north and east you are but also for our region, before the atlantic wins out, with jet forecasts not in our favour. Still looking like a sizeable block to our east, though perhaps less deep on recent runs. All eyes on the trough to the NE around that period to see where that heads.

Also worth noting the rampant and mild SWlies into FI. FI it may be, but they have also been very consistent on the GFS for a number of runs. Jet projections for that period are about as bad as you can get for cold.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Pouring down with rain, bye bye snow :cray:

Posted

Rain in Eastbourne washing away yesterdays (reasonable) fall. Still substantial amounts in Mid Sussex on the verges, footpaths and fields. Have we seen the last snow this Winter? - I wouldn't bet on it!

Posted

Urrrrggghh. What a terrible morning we are all experiencing. Cold, rain, fog, icy underfoot and flooding.

Give me a Bartlett HP anyday over this.

:cray:

Edited by LeighShrimper

Posted

After going to bed on a high from the GFS 18z and expecting the ECM to be onboard again by morning, I wake up to find an utter train wreck. All the models have backed off an Easterly now, apart from the GFS which brings in a very tame and short affair. The ensembles across the GFS and ECM are worryingly poor as well if you want cold and snow - precious little support for the siberian block to hold off the atlantic.

Does anyone want to buy a crate of champagne by any chance? :cray:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Really hot or really cold

After going to bed on a high from the GFS 18z and expecting the ECM to be onboard again by morning, I wake up to find an utter train wreck. All the models have backed off an Easterly now, apart from the GFS which brings in a very tame and short affair. The ensembles across the GFS and ECM are worryingly poor as well if you want cold and snow - precious little support for the siberian block to hold off the atlantic.

Does anyone want to buy a crate of champagne by any chance? :cray:

Looks like a netweather garage sale of champagne and sledges may be the order of the day lol :cray:

Posted

Looks like a netweather garage sale of champagne and sledges may be the order of the day lol :cray:

Blimey! I have seen some 'winter is over' posts before but never just a 1/3 of the way through!!! :cray:

I think we've been spoilt this year so far, but that dosen't mean we can't be spoilt again.

Posted

I Think the councils could do with a break from this weather anyway, the roads are in an appalling condition atm and not all due to Ice! I counted about 20 Potholes or Holes in the road just on the School Run, the Ice has seriously affected the tarmac and they are facing Thousands of pounds worth of Work to fix this. Add in the Bin Men who wont work if there is more than a frost and you have a nightmare scenario, so 2 weeks worth of Dull Grey January weather might be a blessing in disguise!

Paul S

Posted

Blimey! I have seen some 'winter is over' posts before but never just a 1/3 of the way through!!! :cray:

I think we've been spoilt this year so far, but that dosen't mean we can't be spoilt again.

Funny you should say that have just been out to feed my chipmunks and they seem to be hibernating after being out all through this cold weather they've been eating and storing food like crazy the last three days wonder if they know something I don't I've not known them to do this before mmm :cray:

And I agree the roads are In a state they need cleaning to leaves everywhere still next problem with all this excess water will be blocked drains

Edited by loretta

Posted

Haha, free bottle of bubbly when you buy 2 sledges maybe . . .

Yep been spoilt and yeah roads need repairs big time. . . and I'm sick of wearing my gloves everywhere I go, so a small respite is fine with me before another Easterly in a couple of weeks.

Posted

Funny you should say that have just been out to feed my chipmunks and they seem to be hibernating after being out all through this cold weather they've been eating and storing food like crazy the last three days wonder if they know something I don't I've not known them to do this before mmm

They're banking on you going off on holiday to a warm place and won't be feeding them!!!!

Posted

Does anyone want to buy a crate of champagne by any chance? :)

After 29 consecutive days of snow cover, more fresh snow this morning and a glacier in my street, I say bring on the Bartlett.

I love snow and this spell has been memorable but I won't be sorry to see no more of it, sick of digging cars out of the snow and ice now, and I want to be able to drive off my estate without fishtailing all over the place.

Posted

They're banking on you going off on holiday to a warm place and won't be feeding them!!!!

What a fantastic idea two weeks of sun and back in time for next cold snap sadly though my son in middle of exams and can't get any time out so back to the drawing board. Be nice to clean the car and go out shopping without slip sliding away.

Posted

I Think the councils could do with a break from this weather anyway, the roads are in an appalling condition atm and not all due to Ice! I counted about 20 Potholes or Holes in the road just on the School Run, the Ice has seriously affected the tarmac and they are facing Thousands of pounds worth of Work to fix this. Add in the Bin Men who wont work if there is more than a frost and you have a nightmare scenario, so 2 weeks worth of Dull Grey January weather might be a blessing in disguise!

Paul S

Yeah I drove to our Basildon office today instead of getting the train into London - the roads are shocking!

Posted

post-11069-12634659876928_thumb.jpg Must have lost 4-5" of snow since about 6pm last night, and still melting fast. TBH, I'd now like it to thaw completely and await a reload later this winter. The boy's school is now open again too - much that he loved playing in it, his constant presence was a distraction!!

Fresh piccie of the remaining snow cover:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme.....

Personally as much as I love the snow and this has been a winter and a half ! I can't wait to see the back of it. I am fed up with being without my car and I long for anything but more snow. Never thought I would ever hear myself say that ! Quite looking forward to the wet and windy stuff and then springtime. Somehow though I don't think we have seen the last of the fricking stuff !

Posted

Here in East Herts and a very heavy shower and there is large snow flakes mixed in.

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

The greenest and brownest out there this morning for a long time. The snow melting is like taking the xmas decorations down for the second timesad.gif

From the practical point of view, I do understand and agree what people are saying about giving the infrastructure and daily life a chance to recover. No-one can keep enjoying the snow if life totally grinds to a halt and suffers.

But I certainly draw the line about wanting to see the final back of it. Hopefully those snow showers will return by Febgood.gif

Posted

How are we looking considering a return to the cold weather in a week or so's time? How's the SCANDI/SIBERIA high looking?

Not happening at this moment in time i'm afraid. Looks like average weather is upon us and could last for some time. Unless the models flip back to a cold easterly again. Which is possible. The Siberian/Scandi HP is still a beast, but for the moment it is going to have little influence on us. Well, that's what the models hint at anyway...

Edited by LeighShrimper

Posted

Do you know what this is not a bad Outlook from the Meto (Vague as always) but reading into it they are expecting the High Pressure to never be far away from Our Region with the Note of Wintry/Snow showers in the East and Cold Temperatures. :lol:

UK Outlook for Tuesday 19 Jan 2010 to Thursday 28 Jan 2010:

Frosty with patches of mist or fog at first but staying largely dry, if rather cloudy, for most parts on Tuesday. Most places remain dry on Wednesday, although there is a chance of rain in Northern Ireland and western parts of Scotland, England and Wales. This pattern is likely to persist for the rest of the week, through the weekend and into the last week of January, with northern and western parts most likely to be windy with rain, possibly sleet or snow while central parts stay relatively dry. There is a chance of sleet or snow showers affecting eastern counties at times. Temperatures will be generally cold at first and are likely to stay cold in eastern parts whereas western parts of the UK should become milder.

Updated: 1209 on Thu 14 Jan 2010

Could have been much worse I suppose

Paul S