Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted

Nope early valentines lol!!!!!!!!! - the cold should start returning properly - might not be the -15s we had but it won't be the mild even larger teapot dross - and this spell will last into feb and beyond through into the middle of march

ha, good idea, early valentines treat..... I will be watching very very closely. sounds good to me. Good olde Joe and Andy... lol

Posted

ha, good idea, early valentines treat..... I will be watching very very closely. sounds good to me. Good olde Joe and Andy... lol

I've got total faith in Joe B in America - his latest blog today goes on about how global warming is a load of old c****

WEDNESDAY 5 P.M. LONDON TIME

GLOBAL WARMING... THE HUMAN TOUCH.

Consider this.

The average increase of CO2 per year is 1.5 parts per million. That is .00000015 increase per year as far as total atmospheric concentration. The human tough is .05 of that, which means the evil we are contributing is responsible for .000000075 of the total CO2.

The distance from London to our world headquarters here in State College, Pa., is 5791.4 km. This is 579,134,000 cm. Which means that the equal of about 43 cm if you were to take a step west-southwest to be closer to the AccuWeather headquarters if you are in London. I would take a step the same distance and we would be closer by 86cm... So in a journey from State College to London the CO2 that humans contribute is less than a half meter.

Now imagine if you were asked to pay taxes on the rate of CO2 increase. In other words, your tax rate is set to the amount of CO2 man puts into the air. On 10 million pounds, your tax would be 7.5 pounds. Of course, if we had all this global warming your CO2 is causing that would be more than enough to pay for grit since it wouldn't be snowing anymore. Sorry if such a tiny amount ruins any delusions of grandeur.

Joe B is slowly becoming my weather Guru - he is a star - He nailed the very cold spell we just had and the length of it - he was so precise and was slagging off the exeter met office because they dote on their computers too much - which he doesn't - more old fashioned weather casting is needed

Edited by andymusic

Posted

I am so bored now i keep checking back for more posts but as someone previously said they are now dropping off quickly i have been so entertained over the last few years stalking the forum but got so excited yesterday I had to join in. I hope your predictions are right for the 25th but I think this has been the most accurate place to come to check the weather. Well done everyone and hopefully there will be more fun soon.clap.gif

Posted

I've got total faith in Joe B in America - his latest blog today goes on about how global warming is a load of old c****

Consider this.

The average increase of CO2 per year is 1.5 parts per million. That is .00000015 increase per year as far as total atmospheric concentration. The human tough is .05 of that, which means the evil we are contributing is responsible for .000000075 of the total CO2.

The distance from London to our world headquarters here in State College, Pa., is 5791.4 km. This is 579,134,000 cm. Which means that the equal of about 43 cm if you were to take a step west-southwest to be closer to the AccuWeather headquarters if you are in London. I would take a step the same distance and we would be closer by 86cm... So in a journey from State College to London the CO2 that humans contribute is less than a half meter.

Now imagine if you were asked to pay taxes on the rate of CO2 increase. In other words, your tax rate is set to the amount of CO2 man puts into the air. On 10 million pounds, your tax would be 7.5 pounds. Of course, if we had all this global warming your CO2 is causing that would be more than enough to pay for grit since it wouldn't be snowing anymore. Sorry if such a tiny amount ruins any delusions of grandeur.

Joe B is slowly becoming my weather Guru - he is a star - He nailed the very cold spell we just had and the length of it - he was so precise and was slagging off the exeter met office because they dote on their computers too much - which he doesn't - more old fashioned weather casting is needed

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Temp just hit 1C here and there is a slow thaw :S My school might open tomorrow so will have to see what happens. Enjoy what is left of the snow and look foward to our next snowfall, even if here its not till next winter! :drinks:

Posted

Consider this.

Well a great debate going on in the UK & NW Europe forum about this, it forecast 80s winter and i think we can safly say its come true

why not take a look? link provided below

Posted

yes I like him too and had watched his forecasts before this cold spell, back in October I think as I always search about that time to live in hope of a cold winter..

It is melting so fast here tonight though, I can't believe it.... It was so heavy and gorgeous and thick and crunchy but it must be really warm out their as our snowman has lost his eyes and his carott nose was lying on the floor cc_confused.gif . Hope it gets colder in the night so their is some still in the morning. BUT HEY,,,,,, bring on the next spell.

Posted

yahoo.gifWell, better out with a bang than a fizzle.

Fabulous view this morning looking out over the park. Kids had a lovely time sledging. A bit of a thaw now but not much to be honest.

I've had a ball. Thanks to all. This is a fab forum!

Very cross that I didn't buy one of those self assembly snowmen but stocks are dwindling fast and I hear that only the yellow ones are left - don't like yellow to be honest.

Happy birthday for tommorrow Jay.

Bye to all for now but I'll be watching - always watching!!!

Diolch yn fawr i bawb am yr hwyl a twll tyn bob sais!!

Thanks to all and happy snow watching!!

xx

Posted

Wellllllll! - it ain't over till Charlotte church sings - GFS is still wanting to bring a cold easterly starting next tuesday - in the mean time a bit of light relief and life back to normal for a couple of days so that we can get a bit of washing done and get some more food supplies in at least! + the easterly seems to want to hang around for at least a week + so - watch this space - cold weather may well return fairly shortly

Edited by andymusic

Posted

Fabulous view this morning looking out over the park. Kids had a lovely time sledging. A bit of a thaw now but not much to be honest.

Very cross that I didn't buy one of those self assembly snowmen but stocks are dwindling fast and I hear that only the yellow ones are left - don't like yellow to be honest.

xx

Cheers.

Posted

yes I like him too and had watched his forecasts before this cold spell, back in October I think as I always search about that time to live in hope of a cold winter..

It is melting so fast here tonight though, I can't believe it.... It was so heavy and gorgeous and thick and crunchy but it must be really warm out their as our snowman has lost his eyes and his carott nose was lying on the floor cc_confused.gif . Hope it gets colder in the night so their is some still in the morning. BUT HEY,,,,,, bring on the next spell.

still gonna need your help to dig my car out up here mind - thaw's gonna take a while up here as well - I should imagine floods could be the next issue when saturday's rain comes (if it does come as rain when it gets here)

Cheers.

Happy birthday Jay from me too - have a ball mate!

Posted

still gonna need your help to dig my car out up here mind - thaw's gonna take a while up here as well - I should imagine floods could be the next issue when saturday's rain comes (if it does come as rain when it gets here)

Cheers, will do...college starts at 12pm tomorrow lol....not going to bother going.

No thaw today, I don' think it got above freezing all day. Definitely below now as any slush is now solid ice and icicles are forming everywhere.

Shouldn't be much thaw tomorrow either but that looks like the last day to enjoy my lovely 10 inches of snow before the Atlantic shows who's boss and smashes into us. To be honest am not convinced about a renewed easterly and cold snap, I think we might get one of sorts but it'll be a tame affair and we'll have a very mild wet February, payback time for the poor Atlantic that's been repressed for so long - he'll be pretty cheesed off and wanting revenge I think. But it's been good.

Temp around freezing here, no thaw this evening, but no freeze up either.

Only small thaw expected tomorrow, and then the mild up comes (not quite a warm up).

It will be interesting if the snow goes quicker from the areas only covered yesterday, compared to the areas covered for over a week. As the new snow is much wetter than the old snow, whihc has been frozen since new years day.

Posted

No thaw today, I don' think it got above freezing all day. Definitely below now as any slush is now solid ice and icicles are forming everywhere.

Shouldn't be much thaw tomorrow either but that looks like the last day to enjoy my lovely 10 inches of snow before the Atlantic shows who's boss and smashes into us. To be honest am not convinced about a renewed easterly and cold snap, I think we might get one of sorts but it'll be a tame affair and we'll have a very mild wet February, payback time for the poor Atlantic that's been repressed for so long - he'll be pretty cheesed off and wanting revenge I think. But it's been good.

there's still talk though that the negative nao and ao will still lead to more blocking highs - so I don't think winter has finished with us yet!

just thought this was pretty funny over on the general model thread -

That 18z GFS run has left me exhausted. I'm at about t228 now and it was like watching a "Rocky" film. Atlantic lows and Siberian high trading blows, with the Siberian High gaining the upper hand until they both seem exhausted and on the ropes but neither of them can land the knock-out punch!

Ladies and Gentleman, a unanimous decision on points, the still undefeated Northern Hemisphere pressure champion, in the Red Corner,

"The Siberian High". (For showing more aggression for the the majority of the run). I'll get my coat and go and lie down in a dark room for half an hour!

just proves it looks like winter ain't over yet! - not according to the pub run - gfs 18z

Posted

Andy......ALIIIIIIIIIIIIIII TO THE RESCUEEEEEEEE

no problemo, I have my spade ready and waiting and my taboggon at hand,,,, get those bacon sarnies ready...

Happy birtday to Jay,

who had snow yest er day

we love his posts from Cardiff

and hope that they come every day.

Sort of try to sing it in the happy birthday voice..... just tweak it a little.... Andy should be able to help you as he is the music man,...

Remember;;;;;;; Andy is the music man

he comes from down your way....what can he play? he plays the pi annooooo...

Well not enoug snow to get me excited so have to make my own entertainment. lol Sorry

there's still talk though that the negative nao and ao will still lead to more blocking highs - so I don't think winter has finished with us yet!

just proves it looks like winter ain't over yet! - not according to the pub run - gfs 18z

GlacierPoint the teleconnection expert who's been bang on all winter has been confident of a mild wet February for a while now. Because he's been so right so far I have no reason to doubt him. I'd love the blizzards to go on for the next month though.

It does like an almighty battle next week between the cold block and Atlantic, have no idea who will win.. 50/50 maybe?

I noticed that earlier, and much cooler than the GFS as well.

As for the potential Easterly, the Jet Stream still seems to be south (certainly on GFS charts), but the High Pressure over Greenland isn't there at the moment, which is concerning.

But going by this winter so far anything is possible.

As per my previous post I'd call it a split decision. :D

Normally without a Greeny High you would fancy the Atlantic winning, but as I said above, this year you cannot be sure.

Posted

Another analogy about the atlantic low and siberian high

Yes it`s very much like a fight as in Harry Hill`s show(which is better?).

FIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy birtday to Jay,

who had snow yest er day

we love his posts from Cardiff

and hope that they come every day.

Sort of try to sing it in the happy birthday voice..... just tweak it a little.... Andy should be able to help you as he is the music man,...

Remember;;;;;;; Andy is the music man

he comes from down your way....what can he play? he plays the pi annooooo...

Well not enoug snow to get me excited so have to make my own entertainment. lol Sorry

well yes I am an arranger - keyboards/synths etc and the gfriend is a tribute artiste - celine dion/shirley bassey/whitney houston

she was working at Max Boyce's club in Glynneath over xmas and got very friendly with Hi De Hi fame Ruth Madoc

Edited by andymusic

GlacierPoint the teleconnection expert who's been bang on all winter has been confident of a mild wet February for a while now. Because he's been so right so far I have no reason to doubt him. I'd love the blizzards to go on for the next month though.

It does like an almighty battle next week between the cold block and Atlantic, have no idea who will win.. 50/50 maybe?

But he does go for another cold period to end January which looks promising.

Posted

Another analogy about the atlantic low and siberian high

Yes it`s very much like a fight as in Harry Hill`s show(which is better?).

FIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ho de Ho.... Campers

Im sulking, you never commented how good my birthday rhyme/song was.

sounds good though, you and your girlfriend and your musical talents.

Edited by alijoe

Ho de Ho....

You are a poet, and you didn't even know it.

Your post was brill, nothing run of the mill.

I think I will leave it there.

Posted

5 more inches of snow Today. In the garden there was already 4 inches of lying snow so it was very deep with some drifts around 2 feet on the east facing walls.

Had a great Day in it. Mild to come, welcomed by many... Hope the cold returns next week though haha!

Ah well,this could be it for a while now, may even be the last cold spell.

Maybe this winter was a freak and ,it could be back to mild shmild for the next ten years.

Much longer gaps appearing between each post now, since the final whistle was blown earlier on.

Last cold spell? I wouldn't have thought so. Feb/March for last few Years have been the Months to deliver, and alot of snow it delivers... but for very short periods.

Posted

xx

Awww this makes me emotional....I fear it is a farewell..... We cannot all part just because the cold spell has gone to sleep for a while.... I believe. i believe i believe,,, Andy taught me how to....rolleyes.gif Well hopefully we will all be back here as usual next week, next month or next year..... Andy keep praying. lol

Posted

Ho de Ho.... Campers

sounds good though, you and your girlfriend and your musical talents.

Her and me have been in the buiz for years - your song was very creative - Liza (my gfriend) has had a few misses as well with the big fame thing - been to america and entertained 22,000 in one go in ohio alongside jefferson starship/airplane - worked with shirley bassey's musical director and jethro the comedian - it's run of the mill when you make a living in the music buisness I suppose - but still exciting stuff - I love my weather hobbies too though!

Awww this makes me emotional....I fear it is a farewell..... We cannot all part just because the cold spell has gone to sleep for a while.... I believe. i believe i believe,,, Andy taught me how to....rolleyes.gif Well hopefully we will all be back here as usual next week, next month or next year..... Andy keep praying. lol

No need to keep praying - I believe in Joe B's lay out of the rest of the winter and winters to come so snow will never be far away over the coming 2 months + if he's right and I think he's onto something the next couple of decades we'll have further winters like this one so we won't be so snow starved in the future