Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 19:

Methuselah

Posted

Still snowing here, is there not a case for keeping Scotlands thead going?

And hello to Moffatross, assume you are the same MR on WH. This a is a great site for helping pick those classic days on the slopes like last Friday smile.gif !!

Yep Andy, same MR, here, there & everywhere. :blush: I'm thinking of sneaking a day's holiday for Monday because it's looking good as the ridge crosses over us and the drifts on the slopes will be sorted by then and there'll be no queues. Reckon the local ski touring for the next couple of weeks will have to start with a hike to reach the skinnable snow line though.

Longer term, even as a fantasy Easterly doesn't look like emerging after our deep cold has gone, it's then a flattish zonal pattern that looks like establishing. The NWP is still keeping the jet track around the English channel on average so it'll be rainy and windy at house level but with great opportunities from time to time for huge accumulations of west wind blown snow on the mid to upper mountains. Nevis back corries may be on in big style sooner than we hoped. :)

Posted

RIP Scottish Cold Spell Discussion (soon)

Ironic that the regional threads close up later when many of us have had a belting cover of snowfall today - all lost snow in the recent thaw has been topped up and more, and it's still hosing it down just now.

Ho-hum. Guess I won't be so active now :blush:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Loving the vaiety

yeah even been snowing out here in Argyll... really pleased as i wasnt expecting this snowy spell. been great driving around glasgow today with snow grains then heavy fluffy flakes... just brill!!

Ashame the regional threads are being closed, really enjoyed the banter in here.. good crack everyone cheers! :blush:

Looking at the ensembles if that big high over scandi drifts a couple of hundred miles our way then it could be very interesting next week as the atlantic systems at present look like crashing into it but getting stuck over us... throw in some under cutting easterlies and things could be interesting but hey anything beyond 2 days looks like FI at the mo.

Posted

So what thread will my Scottish Snow Chums being on?? Back to the "General Cold Spell thread"

Hopefully gonna need snow updates as we go through next week, though this is very much in the balance!! Finger crossed.

It has snowed almost all day today. Just very little tiny flakes, but we have a complete covering from it probably about 1cm or so on all surfaces. A fanastic "end" to the cold spell though :ph34r:

See you all soon :help: :help: :good::)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

RIP Scottish Cold Spell Discussion (soon)

Ironic that the regional threads close up later when many of us have had a belting cover of snowfall today - all lost snow in the recent thaw has been topped up and more, and it's still hosing it down just now.

Ho-hum. Guess I won't be so active now acute.gif

Bit of a let down here, with no more snow lying other than temporarily. The charts are still all over the place so an easterly can't be ruled out, even if it is a few days later than initially expected, given the blocking forecast shows the high ridging west in 10 days time. Lots to watch, but a real shame that our thread won't be around anymore - we had some great times! It's lasted much longer than I expected when it started in the first easterly on the 17th, and still we're here almost a month later. Temperature here is 1.3C, so more snow can't be ruled out later on, but again I'm not expecting much.

Let's hope we can get the group back together by later next week!

LS

Posted

We had a slight covering here, only lay on existing ice though and give it a nice fresh whiteness.

I personally think Netweather are missing a trick by closing down the regional thread. Most of the people on here will go back to 1 post a week, do they really want that? I don't.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Thats probably true hiya, as we tend to get a bit lost in the throng of the general thread. Harder to follow our scottish perspective, tbh which no-one else is all that much interested in.

Posted

Am I reading the ECM correct. Twice at the end of next week (subject to change as always) they think lows from the Atlantic run across south coast of Englandshire with east winds and very cold uppers across Scotland................thats gonna be messy!!whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

Round 1

NSea_2010011412_thgt850_192.png

Round 2

NSea_2010011412_thgt850_240.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Looks like an interesting setup already!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Am I reading the ECM correct. Twice at the end of next week (subject to change as always) they think lows from the Atlantic run across south coast of Englandshire with east winds and very cold uppers across Scotland................thats gonna be messy!!whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

Don't see why we can't have a scottish thread for general weather discussion, e.g. what the models mean for up here. Our higher latitude means the weather in scotland is completely different from the south of England. This is typified by the charts you just showed. If the jet and lows are tracking across the UK, being to the north of the track can make huge differences to what weather we get.

What's stopping us continuing our own thread? Nothing I guess, unless we stop posting on it.

Suggest: "Scottish Winter Weather Thread"

Can evolve to spring, summer etc. At least we'd know where to find the posts of the usual suspects and say hello.

Posted

agreed scottish skier - count me in for a "Scottish Winter Weather Thread".

I've just been in the general thread and its too scary even for someone of my age - too much bickering!!

Please save our sanity and our thread.

Posted

Don't see why we can't have a scottish thread for general weather discussion, e.g. what the models mean for up here. Our higher latitude means the weather in scotland is completely different from the south of England. This is typified by the charts you just showed. If the jet and lows are tracking across the UK, being to the north of the track can make huge differences to what weather we get.

What's stopping us continuing our own thread? Nothing I guess, unless we stop posting on it.

Can evolve to spring, summer etc. At least we'd know where to find the posts of the usual suspects and say hello.

Is this possible.............

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Sorry our thread will be closing soon as I have really enjoyed the banter. We've had an interesting day in this neck of the woods, snowed on and off all day. Had a look at the Michael Fish forecast and he appeared rather positive that the cold would return next week? Oh I know, he also said that there wasn't a hurricane coming! :whistling: Anyhoo, I for one like the look of Saturday with all that heavy rain and wind forecast and you never know, if that high just moves that little bit further west. then it could be blizzard time for many of us! Hope to join up with all of you again soon. :)

Blitzen.

Aye. Don't forget you are an adopted Scot now, so there is no "down here" and "up there", just "aww aboot ra place".

Will i still be an adopted Scot when the regional threads close? :whistling:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Loving the vaiety

Summer.... oooooo sounds interesting, when does this usually happen? :whistling:

Posted

Is this possible.............

I have never started a new topic, but there is a big button saying 'start new topic' so I guess so.

It is a forum, so if people want to discuss a particular topic, e.g. the weather in Scotland, why not. Wouldn't be much of a forum if a perfectly reasonable topic with people wishing to contribute was not allowed.

I guess it would just be 'unofficial', so the 'Unofficial Scottish Winter Weather Thread'. All welcome of course.

I guess Pete T can answer the scottish thread question

Posted

Show me the link, and I'm there!!!!!!!!!!

Wonder if we will get put on the naughty step for this. rofl.gif

I just been on model thread and its a farse. Bicker Bicker Bicket.

Posted

That's the thing about the model thread. I wouldn't try to contribute.

I read it and try to work out who makes the most sense.

Would be much happier giving my thoughts amongst people who also did not consider themselves super duper experts (rightly or not) but wanted to learn and talk about weather relevant to the northern latitudes.

So often I have been reading the model thread and it is all 'no snow, cold is gone' when it's freezing here with lots of snow.

Personally, I haven't given up on the cold coming back in a bit after the weekend, at least for the north. Certainly, there is going to be plenty of snow in the Highlands for quite some time yet.

Posted

Scottish Winter/Summer/Spring/Autumn Weather Thread

Great idea and there really should be no reason to remove or delete it. It's a public weather board, with no stipulation over "regions" - not that we are a region - Scotland is a country..

The weather is soooo varying in Scotland - from the Western Isles receiving the brunt of the Atlantic storms, to the NE and E receiving snow from a B'easterly to the Forth-Clyde valley having the tunnel effect as winds fly through - plus so much more..

Remember, Scotland includes Orkney & Shetland too - sadly we haven't had any reports from there this winter. Strange. :gathering:

So, yeah, I advocate a dedicated Scottish thread year round - it will keep us lot from spamming the model thread - indeed, we can set up our own model thread -- the way we see it.

Will i still be an adopted Scot when the regional threads close?

God, I hope not :drinks:

Posted

Scottish Winter/Summer/Spring/Autumn Weather Thread

Great idea and there really should be no reason to remove or delete it. It's a public weather board, with no stipulation over "regions" - not that we are a region - Scotland is a country..

The weather is soooo varying in Scotland - from the Western Isles receiving the brunt of the Atlantic storms, to the NE and E receiving snow from a B'easterly to the Forth-Clyde valley having the tunnel effect as winds fly through - plus so much more..

Remember, Scotland includes Orkney & Shetland too - sadly we haven't had any reports from there this winter. Strange. mellow.gif

So, yeah, I advocate a dedicated Scottish thread year round - it will keep us lot from spamming the model thread - indeed, we can set up our own model thread -- the way we see it.

God, I hope not laugh.gif

Who is actually able to start this ????????

Edited by Snowplough33

Posted

Nice to see lots of support for a Scottish Thread.

As for an end to the cold spell. For me it has not ended yet. I still have a good 10 inches lying in the garden which was topped up by 2 cm last night.

Been wintery showers passing over all day at work.

May be the beginning of the end, but once T's start regularly hitting the 5C+ it's over for me.

That band of prep moving over tonight could well fall as snow, maybe not at my house, but at 300 m on Soutra so still put me at the mercy of cold weather....

Saturday looks more like the end of the current spell for me. After that, who knows. The big high over scandinavia is still there...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

I understand the need for Net Weather to shut down regional threads probably crippling on server space and cost.

However, they should provide an alternative. Rathern than 9(or whatever) separate ones have ' The Northern Winter' and 'The Southern Winter'.

2 threads country halved - somewhere.

Either that or someonce just create a new thread as I guess lots of other regions will try to do anyway.

Posted

Who is actually able to start this ????????

I guess someone just has to build up the courage to press the 'start new topic button'. It will either start a new topic or cause your computer to crash to blue screen. I figure the former.

Any volunteers?

I'm off out now, but shall return later in the hope that someone took the red pill.