Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 19:

Methuselah

Posted

The chances of another cold spell may have increased with this mornings GFS. Its ensembles had been hinting at it for days, the ECM Op had been showing it for the last 2 days and now the GFS is showing a strong easterly with very cold uppers from as early as Tuesday.

The ensembles for my location have also taken a bit of a tumble overnight from the 19th.

Still some ups and downs to go before then though.

h850t850eu.png

t850East~Dunbartonshire.png

Edited by Blizzardo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

'Morning all! :drinks:

Continued slow thaw overnight. About 2C the now... :good::)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

All eyes on radar for the light snow which we may get later today. Thaw? What thaw? (I am in a river in Egypt....)

In my case, it's 'lying snow? What lying snow?' There's only some hardpacked ice left. We've almost reached 2C now, with the dewpoint sitting at 0.3C.

Steve Murr said there were three hurdles to get over for an easterly, basically a shortwave dropping down, the high extending a bit further west three times. This is the final of these, shown at +144 on the UKMO:

Rukm1441.gif

At this point, there is nothing to stop the siberian high ridging west and bringing a bitter easterly.

LS

In my case, it's 'lying snow? What lying snow?' There's only some hardpacked ice left. We've almost reached 2C now, with the dewpoint sitting at 0.3C.

At this point, there is nothing to stop the siberian high ridging west and bringing a bitter easterly.

LS

If it still looks like snow then we'll just pretend it is snow. Our white ice could pass for snow until you stand on it!

As for another easterly, damn you and your easterlies!! I'm sick of living off the scraps of snowshowers sent here third hand by you easties. Give us a full frontal western assault or a stalling front dropping vast quantities of nice fresh first hand snow.

(actually LS, I am joking :yahoo:, I don't care where the snow comes from I simply want my addiction to be fed :D)

Edit: Wouldn't we be better if the Sibey High didn't edge too far west, just far enough to send some cold air directly into the path of front after front from the Atlantic....

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

+1c here this morning dull and drizzly with ice everywhere with with thin layer of water on top, extremely slippy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

If it still looks like snow then we'll just pretend it is snow. Our white ice could pass for snow until you stand on it!

As for another easterly, damn you and your easterlies!! I'm sick of living off the scraps of snowshowers sent here third hand by you easties. Give us a full frontal western assault or a stalling front dropping vast quantities of nice fresh first hand snow.

(actually LS, I am joking :air_kiss:, I don't care where the snow comes from I simply want my addiction to be fed :rofl:)

My Patients like it thick and green Catch. We snow addicts like it thick and white!:air_kiss:

Edited by Highland Snow

My Patients like it thick and green Catch. We snow addicts like it thick and white!:acute:

:rofl:

My addiction is being fed this morning as it is spitting snow grains outside.

Anything would be better than the horrible dirty ice covering all the pavements, either more snow or a thaw will do just nicely.

Posted

Judging from the conversation on the model thread there is discussion about a colder incursion from the east next week!

We havent got rid of what we have yet.........roof tops still white as is most of the landscape apart from the roads which are clear.

The slow thaw continues although it did speed up during the day yesterday and all icicles disappeared very quickly.

This mornings temps at 1C and rising with a stiff breeze......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Heavy rain showers again last night. Icy crust an inch thick on the ground. Temp. +2.1C - fifth 24 hour period above freezing now.

Posted

Morning everyone.

Not been around the past few days due to pain from an impacted wisdom tooth, just what i need.

Snow is almost gone cray.gif I thought for sure it would take longer than that but i can see most of my decking again and the grass and ground. Not quite sure what its doing outside, the sky is very white/grey and something is falling although it appears to be rain, just very fine rain. Current temp is 1.4 with a dew point of 0.7. Apparently we are to get snow later but i shall believe it when i see it. Ohh and i really wish my english friends on FB would shut the hell up, all they ahve done the past week is moan about snow. Embrace it!!!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Morning people.

Been absent for a couple of days due to being up to my neck in wedding dresses, invitations etc as daughter is getting married in June. Still, first shop, first dress, sorted! (Bet that's a record!) Now back to more important issues :nonono: Model thread becoming interesting again it seems (there is a God!) Had some snow showers here through the night but didn't lie. Soft hail falling here now so may get a little more interesting later as temps and dewpoints on the way down. Can't believe how all that cold air to the east was shifted away from us so easily! If the next easterly does develop, it looks as if it will be a colder one?

Actually its tiny snow grains that are falling :)

I was going to ask you if it was snow grains when I read your previous post, but you have answered my question for me. We have snow grains here too. It has been snow graining for over 2 hours now. Another 1,000 years of this and we'll have enough for a snowball :)

At least the thaw should have been slowed now, although it is just the white ice left which we had before Xmas (or not so white ice on the pavements, it is browny/black and 'orrible).

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

All appears to be going well with the 06z too!

All appears to be going well with the 06z too!

Only for it all to go "toys out the pram" by the 12z. It is interesting to watch not just the models, but the models thread too :yahoo: You can always bet that if the models aren't any good, there will be fireworks in there. It's a shame, because the good sense from 60% of posters is lost in the midden of the other posters' rubbish.

Posted

Only for it all to go "toys out the pram" by the 12z. It is interesting to watch not just the models, but the models thread too :yahoo: You can always bet that if the models aren't any good, there will be fireworks in there. It's a shame, because the good sense from 60% of posters is lost in the midden of the other posters' rubbish.

Morning Catch

Yes popped into the mod thread for a look last night and it had me glued! It was better than a good book! Hilarious. :diablo: All palsy walsy again this morning tho'. :yahoo:

Heavy snowgrains here now.

Edited by Blitzen

Posted

Got a dusting here now. Nice.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, warm dry summers

Colder here today +1 in comparison to yesterdays +2.5 must have lost the influence of the warmer air coming through the Forth Clyde valley, some snow grains in the air.

SS2

Posted

Ice pellets/granular snow here with the temperature falling. Now +1.6C DP +0.5C (-0.4C/hour).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Deeply deeply unpleasant day in these parts 33F/DP32F at Embra airport and a steady fine drizzle all around the place. Almost makes me long for spring ...

Looks like some of you inland/higher up punters could accumulate a fine snow-grainy covering on the cold ground...although the radar in general isn't showing anything of note ... mostly looks to be light stuff coming out of a uniform blanket of cold grey cloud ...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Morning all.

Bit damp with fine drizzley stuff this morning. Still lots of snow and ice sticking around. Pavements and roads are very bad in places. The walk to school is treacherous.

Nice to see some development from the models after a very confusing time. Looks like we'll all have lots of rain by friday/weekend. So it would be nice to start next week with lots of snow !!! I live in hope. I think we should start a snow addict fan club lol!

Our school has been having to have indoor playtime and will have to do so for at least another week - due to giant mounds of snow in the playgrouds. The council have only used machinery to clear the snow and the other small paths etc are very bad.

Edited by snowy owl

Deeply deeply unpleasant day in these parts 33F/DP32F at Embra airport and a steady fine drizzle all around the place. Almost makes me long for spring ...

Looks like some of you inland/higher up punters could accumulate a fine snow-grainy covering on the cold ground...although the radar in general isn't showing anything of note ... mostly looks to be light stuff coming out of a uniform blanket of cold grey cloud ...

I have been watching the precip band storming in from the west and *BANG* it's gone into thin air :lol: It is getting a doing but the cold air is hardly being flicked aside.

That's surely a good sign??

I wonder how well the weekend's precip will storm across the country??

Our school has been having to have indoor playtime and will have to do so for at least another week - due to giant mounds of snow in the playgrouds. the council have only used machinery to clear the snow and the other small paths etc are very bad.

I am quite proud of the fact that at my son's school they haven't cleared the snow at all (except the path to the front door which the kids don't use) and playtime has been outside every day. They are pretty hardcore at that school though. Unless it is completely lashing rain the kids are punted outside. The good thing now is that our 5 year old doesn't feel the cold and thinks rain is a wonderful thing.

As a complete off tangent, how about this for one of the best weather forecasts ever seen. I came across it after following a link Steve Murr posted on the mod thread:

What's not to like?? :rofl:

Especially the chart at about 42 seconds in :good: :wub: :wub: :shok:

Edited by CatchMyDrift