Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

we have had about 3 to 4 inchis of fresh snow so far, some what surpriced but happy days stil snowing

Inches or centimetres?? :drinks:

(...if inches - Nice!!!)

Posted

Haha, yes indeed! :drinks: Hopefully things will intesify, wonder how long this will last?

It would be nice if the warm front could be held at bay for a bit longer, but it's forecast to get warmer (well, a bit milder) from Friday onwards I think (not checked for a few hours!)...

If I remember correctly, a return to more "milder" conditions was forecast to happen just after the New Year, but the cold air beat it back with a big stick! :drinks:

Would be nice if it could do it again!

Posted

It would be nice if the warm front could be held at bay for a bit longer, but it's forecast to get warmer (well, a bit milder) from Friday onwards I think (not checked for a few hours!)...

If I remember correctly, a return to more "milder" conditions was forecast to happen just after the New Year, but the cold air beat it back with a big stick! :drinks:

Would be nice if it could do it again!

I agree! Ive become attached and i doubt i would be able to cope if the milder air came through. :drinks: I hope there is more of this in the future though, whats it looking like for the end of Jan and beginning of Feb? If anyone knows? :drinks:

Edited by biggiemauls

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Looks like somerset is building up for round 2... drinks.gif

I thought something was up when i saw the meto update for west country because it shows heavy snow for early hours...

Edited by mullender83

Posted

inchis guess its because right next to sailsbury plane :drinks:

Very nice indeed then!!! :drinks:

So, work tomorrow then, (or a "snowed in" day)?...

PS - Looking at the NW Radar there's another heavy band approaching (or as Jimbo on South Park would say - "It's coming right for us!") :drinks:

EDIT: You've spotted it too then Mullender?...!

Edited by Schmac

Posted

Looks like this could be better than all the rest of night....

post-8911-12633431622628_thumb.png

so nearly went to bed too whistling.gif

just watch how the mendips will probably build this up as it tracks in our general direction

Edited by mullender83

We've just got light sleety type stuff now, any more intense snow on the way?

Looks like this could be better than all the rest of night....

post-8911-12633431622628_thumb.png

so nearly went to bed too whistling.gif

That heavy band looks like it's making slow progress, hopefully it will make it and not die out!

Posted

We've just got light sleety type stuff now, any more intense snow on the way?

That heavy band looks like it's making slow progress, hopefully it will make it and not die out!

It is slow but growing in intensity if you play the radar back half hour ull see

Posted

It is slow but growing in intensity if you play the radar back half hour ull see

I just hope it keeps it together and makes it this far...

All too often it gets to within about a mile of here and then fizzles out (or heads North... or South... or parts like the Red Sea and totally misses Trowbridge :D !!)...

Posted

Blimey another thread!

Only about a 1 cm max top up here, looks like its in for the night though.Too light at the mo to add much.Think it will turn to rain during the morning.

On call too. :D

Are the roads ok around Swindon?

Posted

looks to me theres also another band behind the approaching one??

OMG i think you could be right. I was wondering why meto had light snow until early hours forecast....

just had a quick check and snow falling moderate now as im on the very edge of the second shade of ppn.

I don't think we shall be seeing rain too soon away from devon and south coast. temps are falling still as night wears on.

local roads are already blocked and A37 is very slow from what i hear. whistling.gif

Posted

OMG i think you could be right. I was wondering why meto had light snow until early hours forecast....

just had a quick check and snow falling moderate now as im on the very edge of the second shade of ppn.

I don't think we shall be seeing rain too soon away from devon and south coast. temps are falling still as night wears on.

local roads are already blocked and A37 is very slow from what i hear. whistling.gif

Not had a great deal in Frome, been snowing on and off during the night, but I would say at best 1cm, hopefully that will change over the next few hours

Posted

Has anybody got an idea on when the "cold spell" will end in Somerset / Wiltshire?...

Is there a chance that that the milder air will be held back again and this cold spell will continue?...

If not, is there still a possibility of a "cold re-load" next week?...

Or is it a return to the usual wet 'n' windy SW winter weather for the foreseeable future?... :rolleyes:

Posted

Snowing fairly well now with temps falling abit further to -0.4 it is even laying on the front door step which last place it takes hold only when temps dip low enough.

got around 4 inches now with maybe 1-2 on way?

(Tom opens his last bottle of celebratory beer) yahoo.gif

Has anybody got an idea on when the "cold spell" will end in Somerset / Wiltshire?...

Is there a chance that that the milder air will be held back again and this cold spell will continue?...

If not, is there still a possibility of a "cold re-load" next week?...

Or is it a return to the usual wet 'n' windy SW winter weather for the foreseeable future?... unknw.gif

I think it has already been put back to thur/friday but we are going to have at least a thaw round late week/weekend however with so much on ground maybe if cold can come back quick enough i could keep hold of at least some snowcover.

need 12 days to beat last winter which i think is quite possible however last year most of that was from one weeks snow that lasted almost a month in fairly warm temps.

Edited by mullender83

Posted

God, I don't know which is more intense...

Watching how things unfold in 24 or watching how things unfold with the snow situation!... :drinks:

At this rate, I'm gonna be a wreck come tomorrow morning... :rolleyes: