Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold Spell The Sum Up

Posted

This may be abit early for some people. However i dont think i will see anymore snow, and i feel like ive done really well.

Ive had lying snow from just before xmas, with further falls leading to around 8cm of snow. Just before xmas we got around 3cm of snow. It has been really great, ive never known it to be so cold with temps of -15 being reported across carlisle.

How was it for you.

I am not convinced the cold spell has yet ended - been looking at the fax charts etc and that high now centered over the Baltic starts appears to be waxing and waning and apparently moving south over the longer period.

It would only need to strengthen and nudge to west a little to maintain the easterlies.

How about an alternative forecast that the High currently over Southern Scandinavia and the Baltic states will strengthen and ridge to the west, thereby limiting the current front over SW England.

The current easterlies will continue for the foreseable future introducing clearer weather with severe night frosts and daytime temps struggling to reach zero.

:lol:

Edited by mike Meehan

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I agree with Mike. Unless we completely lose model support for the easterly that the ECMWF keeps throwing up in its operational runs, I think talk of the cold spell being over is still premature.

That easterly, while not as intensely cold as some of the airmasses that have invaded the British Isles between 17 December and 9 January, would almost certainly still be cold enough to support a transition to sunshine and snow showers for eastern areas- indeed the progged setup, both in terms of cold upper air and synoptics, looks quite similar to 20-22 November 1993. It would also make this weekend look like an insignificant milder blip.

As for the spell so far, probably the most significant in terms of duration and intensity since January 1985, possibly even December 1981.

Posted

I agree with Mike. Unless we completely lose model support for the easterly that the ECMWF keeps throwing up in its operational runs, I think talk of the cold spell being over is still premature.

That easterly, while not as intensely cold as some of the airmasses that have invaded the British Isles between 17 December and 9 January, would almost certainly still be cold enough to support a transition to sunshine and snow showers for eastern areas- indeed the progged setup, both in terms of cold upper air and synoptics, looks quite similar to 20-22 November 1993. It would also make this weekend look like an insignificant milder blip.

As for the spell so far, probably the most significant in terms of duration and intensity since January 1985, possibly even December 1981.

In terms of number of widespread heavy snowfalls we do probably have to go back to dec 81/jan 82 for comparison.

However, we have had equally cold spells since i.e. late jan- mid Feb 91 and by some margin Feb 86 has beaten this cold spell. No-one seems to want to mention Feb 86 probably because there was little snowfall away from eastern coastal areas.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

From a complete IMBY point of view, this winter (so far) coz it may still have more surprises to give has been quite amazing.

Certainly when you consider the absolute dross we've had for many previous years.

In our part of the Pennines, at modest height we've probably had more snowfall in the last three weeks or so than in the last 10 winters put together.

Higher up, still and conditions must be severe and rank with the likes of 47,63, 79 etc.

Temperatures have been even more spectacular.

My lowest recorded was - 12c with a maximum of -6c the following day.

These levels must compare with anything in previous years and certainly the -12c reading was tropical compared to other areas.

it was however the first time since 1979 that we have had diesel frozen in vehicles at work.

as i said on a previous post, although i like the snow i am getting rather fed up with conditions now; may be a thing of getting older so if a thaw does come and thats it for winter 2009/10 then, i for one will look back and think, pretty bad that was but not as severe as 1979.

all that said though - another 2 months of the winter period left yet so maybe we aint seen nothing yet.

Ian

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

In terms of number of widespread heavy snowfalls we do probably have to go back to dec 81/jan 82 for comparison.

However, we have had equally cold spells since i.e. late jan- mid Feb 91 and by some margin Feb 86 has beaten this cold spell. No-one seems to want to mention Feb 86 probably because there was little snowfall away from eastern coastal areas.

I mention February 1986 quite a bit, for the statistics don't suggest that the month was quite as snowless as it is widely made out to be, especially in north-eastern Britain. The easterlies must have been more unstable the further north you were.

Posted

I mention February 1986 quite a bit, for the statistics don't suggest that the month was quite as snowless as it is widely made out to be, especially in north-eastern Britain. The easterlies must have been more unstable the further north you were.

plenty of snow for the south west in Feb 1986 also.

In terms of winters in my lifetime I would rank them as follows: -

1 - 1978/79

2 - 1981/2

3 - 1985/86

4 - 1984/85

5 - 1986/87

=6 - 1990/91

=6 - 2009/10

8 - 1995/6

9 - 1996/7

10 - 2008/9

Obviously this winter still has scope to move a bit further up the list - I don't think there is too much between no 2 and no 6. We would need something special to challenge no 1 in the list however.

Posted

best winter I can remember for me, am 28

maybe if the surface temperatures stay chilly and we get a bit of clearance of the cloud overnight and not too much rain at the weekend, there is a chance that some of my existing deep snowcover could hang on till the next colder spell should it occur

13 days in a row and counting with evidence of snow on the ground, is quite incredible considering those 2 shockers we had before last winter smile.gif

It's been a very good cold spell for me, probably the best since 1995-1996. Not even half way through the winter yet. Lowest maximum -0.4c, lowest minimum -8.7c. We had ~3 inches from snow showers in Mid-December, ~4 inches from last week and ~7 inches yesterday and today. Total maximum snow depth ~10 inches right now, ~14 inches in snowfall in total. Probably the most accumulated snow and max snow depth since 1995-1996.

It's not been exceptional though, we had ~10 inches of snow last year, ~10 inches the previous year and ~10-12 inches in 2005-2006. Similar minimums and length of cold in December 2008 too. Unusual though for both the relentless extended cold and snow in one long spell.

Edited by Barb-

Posted

Well here in SW essex its been something of a poor spell in regards of snow, very cold however its got to be said, though actually locally the December spell was actually better, more snow and more ice days ironically....yes there was snow but I can count probably at least 10 snow spells that were better in the last 7 years in my location then this one.

However I can well imagine for some parts this has been one of the most severe cold spells in a long time, I was down in Guildford rich1 last week and there was decent snow, heard you guys had some more early hours this morning which has topped it up nicely...however go 20 miles SW and the snow totals double again, upto a 1ft of snow fell there and I'd imagine any snow that has thawed has been replaced there tonight. It was quite amazing to see the snow amounts down in C/S Surrey, the same areas that got nailed back in Feb 09.

I suspect this cold spell is in its final throws however it looks likely that we will get another thrust of cold air from the west

Posted

Same as Darren Really and I am in SE Essex and not SW Essex

The December 17th/18th Spell was much better and had double the Snow and Ice! This is a notable Cold spell for it's Cold Temps and keeping the snow on the ground though! It does not even come close to 1987 or 1991 here. In fact January 8th 2003 or 2004 cant remember which had 3 Times the depth of Snow as well so I can count at least 10 better than this in terms of snowfall.

In terms of Snowfall

1. 1987

2. 1991

3. 1979

4. 1981

5. 1986

6. 2003

7. 2005

8. 1984

9. 2009

10 2010

In Terms of Cold Temps and ice

1. 1987

2. 1991

3. 1979

4. 1986

5. 2010

Says it all really

Paul S

Posted

Coldest and snowiest spell for some time. A large snowfall last Tuesday and snow cover since. -15C on the morning of the 7th and -16.5C on the 8th.

The December cold spell was even snowier but the depth wasn't as great but again a partial covering on the morning of the 18th and a more complete cover from the 20th until Boxing Day.

So combining the two, the coldest and snowiest 4 week period for many years.

I give it 8/10 in warwickshire, 9/10 where places have had more snow so all in all an excellent cold spell. biggrin.gif

However i dont think i will see anymore snow

Wow a very strange comment to make giving that carlisle is near the scottish border, it's only mid January and northern england/scotland can see snowfall upto around Mid May, infact the snowfall potential is almost every month of the year apart from four months and even then there is an outside chance in early June and late September.

Edited by Eugene

Posted

Briefly...

Cold spell the best for the 6.5 years i've lived around this region, and can only remember a few that better it for where I lived at the time.

In terms of snow, its been ok, but have seen much snowier periods (in terms of depth), going back as early as Feb 2009.

No more than 1 inch of lying snow since the start of Dec09.

Posted

Far too early lol

I have vivid memories of '63. It's not likely to compare as the snow then started with such a bang and never really let up pardon.gif

Posted

The December 17th/18th Spell was much better and had double the Snow and Ice! This is a notable Cold spell for it's Cold Temps and keeping the snow on the ground though!

Yeah thats whats been decent about this cold spell, despite only really ever having 2-4cms generally on the ground the snow is only now finally showing real signs of melting, some places that have far deeper amounts will probably have some sort of cover right upto the end of the weekend.

I'm willing to bet though taking the nation as a whole this is probably the best 30 day period since Feb 91, just about every location has seen some snow, quite a few locations have seen at least one big snowfall as well, and a couple of places have been very lucky and seen exceptional falls...also we had a set-up that is just about as close to a countrywide snowfall as you can have last week as well...

Posted

In terms of length of time of lying snow this is by far the most impressive cold spell of my life time (I'm 25 and have no reccolection of any of the 80's spells). I have seen deeper snow on many occasions and it has not been as cold as December 1995 was but the longevity of the spell has more than made up for that. The weather over the weekend was some of the most perfectly beautiful I have ever experienced i.e. snow deep enough to ensure an evenly white blanket, perfectly clear blue skies, little wind, even major watercourses frozen (the first time i've seen that since Dec 95) and frost sparkling off every surface. Perfecto. Lets hope we get some more!

Edited by trickydicky

Posted

In terms of length of time of lying snow this is by far the most impressive cold spell of my life time (I'm 25 and have no reccolection of any of the 80's spells). I have seen deeper snow on many occasions and it has not been as cold as December 1995 was but the longevity of the spell has more than made up for that. The weather over the weekend was some of the most perfectly beautiful I have ever experienced i.e. snow deep enough to ensure an evenly white blanket, perfectly clear blue skies, little wind, even major watercourses frozen (the first time i've seen that since Dec 95) and frost sparkling off every surface. Perfecto. Lets hope we get some more!

I agree with you about snow lying, tomorrow will make it 28 continuous days of snow.

The main of which fell on the 17th/18th Dec 4 inches, and 20th/21st Dec 10.5 inches.

Everbody else caught us up after christmas when we only had 2.5 inches on the 5th Jan.

Our lowest lowest minimum was -12.3 on the 7th Jan.

A very good winter for me so far ,as my location is only about 30 miles from the west coast.

Posted

For snow probably the most impressive spell I've seen since 1979, although 1991 was not far off (for inland areas 1981/82 was generally better; I was living in Southampton then, which had less show than most areas). In terms of extreme temperatures in the south in my lifetime January 1987 has yet to be beaten, and February 1986 still remains on top as the coldest calendar month.

For there the best winter I can remember was 1990/91, however this one runs it a very close second, and with time to come this may become the best winter.

The 3rd best winter was last year 2008/2009, with 2005-06 following behind.

The winter record so far 19 days with snow cover, 16 of them Meeting Met office Snow Days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

great cold spell id say, tomorrow last day sadly for most, started on new years eve, and ended 14th Jan, seen decent snow, lots of frost & ice, -9.3C minimum on the 8th with snow cover,

decent snow falling 5th Jan, 6th Jan, 10-11th jan and 13th Jan, and a bit on the 9th, lying snow 5th-14th

Edited by mark forster 630

Posted

I'll give this spell credit where credit's due for the persistence of snow cover and the impressive minima recorded, even if the maximum amount of snow on the ground was decidedly average. December and early Jan were so frustrating; snow kept either missing here or arriving as sleet and rain.

Currently:

Lying snow 12 (Dec 1, Jan 11) equal with 1996/7; 1995/6 however had 21

Longest consecutive >50% cover 8 days and counting (most since 96/7 which had 10, 30 Dec to 8 Jan)

11 days with lying snow in January the most for that month for over 20 years; didn't live here in 1987 or 1985 which were the last 2 that even had a chance of beating that. Januaries 2000-09 inclusive only had 10 between them!

Greatest depth 6cm- that's where this winter has fallen short; compare 20cm in 1990/1, 15 in 1995/6, 12 in 2005/6 and 10 in 1993/4. Has beaten 2008/09 however.

For cold temperatures I'd rank this level with late Dec 1995 and Feb 1991, but not quite as impressive as Jan 1987 as far as maxima were concerned.