Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Historic Weather Data, Europe, 17Th To 20Th Century

hugogo

Hello,

First I would like to present myself as it is the forts time that I post on this forum: I have been living in London for the past 13 years but I am french [nationality family parents etc...] and therefore sometimes my written English can be a bit dodgy... I hope you will stil be able to read me smile.gif

I have been looking for daily data for European weather stations dating back to the 19th, and more importantly 18th and sometimes even 17th century, as y am trying to work on the very harsh winters or other spells of unusual weather that occured during this period. I have been looking for months now, and this is what I have foun for the moment:

Daily data for Prague [not sure about the name in English?] since 1777, for TN, TX and TM, Bologna [italie] TN TX and TM dating back to 1811, Milan [italie], TN TX and TM dating back to 1767 and Uccle [belgium] since 1767 I Think for TN. I have also found TM for Stockholm since 1756. Most of this data provides from ECA&D website:

http://eca.knmi.nl/dailydata/index.php

However I have heard of many more daily data that I havn't managed to find on the internet. Therefore I am looking fo daily data from anywhere in Europe in the purpose of drawing temperature maps for the coldest days in the past centuries.

To my knowlegde there are approximatively 30 weather stations which opened in the 18th century over Europe. I data is not available for any of the other stations, temperature extremes for intense cold spells would stll be very useful.

Also, I have found on the CET data dating back to the 1770s, but My computer is not able to download the daily data for some reason [i am working on a Macbook with safari, does someone know where the problem commes from??].

Therefore, I would be really thankful if someone could copy some data for the following dates which are the ones that i am most interested in:

January/February 1776.

December 1783-january 1784 cold wave.

February-March 1785 extreme cold wave [from an other world this one...]

December 1788-January 1789 cold wave

January 1795.

Winter of 1799.

winter 1800 [coldspell in dec-jan]

winter 1803 [colds wave in jan feb i think]

Winter 1820 [cold wave in jan?

1823 [cold wave in january i believe...]

February/March 1845

Dec 1870-Jan 1871

Dec 1879.

Winter 1891 [dec to Feb]

1893 [january].

1895 [january through to february

1929 [jan to feb].

1940, 1942, 1947 winters.

1956 february.

1963 winter [of course lol]

1985 january cold wave.

1987 january cold wave.

Thank you for any information concerning any of these events.

Hugo.

• 2 weeks later...

So no one has any info on where to find any data for the events???

It would be very interesting to be able to get this data and compare it with recent cold winters, and just to remind ourselves of how cold the weather can get over our continent...

Posted

So no one has any info on where to find any data for the events???

It would be very interesting to be able to get this data and compare it with recent cold winters, and just to remind ourselves of how cold the weather can get over our continent...

If you search through this forum, you will find quite a few that you have mentioned have been written about.

If you search through this forum, you will find quite a few that you have mentioned have been written about.

Thank you, I will have a look more closely then. Oh and if anyone here is interested, I have found data for Helsinki since 1850 and for Iena since 1825.