Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Great Thaw

Posted

We have had a really slow thaw here today. All the icicles and snow remain and the temperature here never rose above 1ºC. The snow still remains on the sides of the main road near my house with no puddles. The temperature is just starting to dip below freezing and it is still cloudy.

Same here in Tunbridge Wells. The roads are better..but that is about all.

MM

Posted

Agreed, March 1947 really was the worst of all worlds as far as flood risk was concerned- it was one of the wettest Marches on record, on the back of what was probably the snowiest winter of the twentieth century.

The wettest March on record in fact. Following probably the snowiest winter since 1813/4, it really did rub salt in the wounds.

This thaw shold be nothing in comparison. Even the Big Freeze in 1963 (you know, the actual Big Freeze :rolleyes:) ended on a benign note.

Posted

A very slow thaw looks likely on most low ground through the week. Higher ground in the north will keep the snow for some time yet with no major warm up on the cards.

The most positive aspect is that we are not seeing the atlantic suddenly crashing into the cold block, its a great blessing given the horrendous flooding we endured in November. However, the past month has been very dry across much of the country with precipitation mostly in the form of snow, river levels are quite low.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

all of my snow has thawed here, but i only managed to get an inch!! i felt robbed, but did manage about 5 ice days with daytime highs -2/-3c.

looking for the next easterly to edge this way :yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Well, Norwich has finally caught up with Cleadon in the snow depth charts- but not in the way I'd been hoping for! Just a smattering on the grass at both locations. Still, in many ways I'd rather see a rapid thaw like this than several days of slush and ice everywhere that had partially thawed and then refrozen.

Posted

Looks like the thaw down here will be painfully slow - the back roads are still icy and we've still got 10cm+ in the garden, with more likely to follow overnight (although at present this looks to be light). At this rate I don't think we'll see any significant thaw before the weekend.

Posted

What a difference 15 miles makes...all the snow except the hard packed ice has melted in the rain today on the coast, 15miles in land and its basically not shifted, trees still covered etc! Unbelievable!