Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Lows - January Onwards

Cookie

Posted

Comparing this "storm" to what you would call a proper storm is a bit like comparing San Marino to Germany at football I suspect though Cookie.

:)

its just dropped off the wind, dramatically down to 8 mph

Posted

Last night my weather station recorded a max gust of 65mph and another weather station just up from me recorded a max gust of 70mph. South Uist recorded a max gust of 71mph.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

The quiet Atlantic has had an effect down here too as there hasn't been one gale day so far this winter, as in a mean speed of 39mph for a period of at least 10 minutes.

The December and January average for gale days over the last 25 years is about 4 days each here.

Posted

Update,

Tuesday night into Wednesday morning is still looking windy. Western parts of Scotland can expect gusts 40 to 55mph maybe 60mph over higher ground.

ukwind.png

Thursday is the main concern for this week for both wind and rain. Met Office already have a watch out for most of the UK here: http://www.metoffice...ings.html?day=3

There saying heavy rain accompanied by strong gale force winds.

ukwind.png

Edited by weathermaster

Update,

Tuesday night into Wednesday morning is still looking windy. Western parts of Scotland can expect gusts 40 to 55mph maybe 60mph over higher ground.

Thursday is the main concern for this week for both wind and rain. Met Office already have a watch out for mosst of the UK here: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_warnings.html?day=3

There saying heavy rain accompanied by strong gale force winds.

Thanks for the update weathermaster. I suspect again, though, that the wind won't be much to get excited about, not from that direction anyway. Perhaps some 70mphs for the islands, I doubt the mainland will see anything >70mph though.

Edit: I measure every storm against the Boxing Day 1998 storm, so that's why I don't find 70mph winds very interesting :drinks:

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

Update

For tonight to the west of Scotland we could get 50 to 60mph.

ukwind.png

Again for Thursday can expect 50 to 60mph to the west of Scotland.

ukwind.png

Met Office still have there weather warnings out for Thursday and now Friday for heavy rain accompanied by strong to gale force southerly winds.

Currently already gusting to 38mph will update later.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Yup Scotland and Ireland getting blown away seems to have been overshadowed the coming NO event for the west and south west.

Yup Scotland and Ireland getting blown away seems to have been overshadowed the coming NO event for the west and south west.

I don't see it being very windy though (when are you talking about?). I suppose it all depends on how you define "windy" :lol:

Posted

Gusting to 51mph here slowly picking up but I'm not expecting it to get much higher just for the high wind to stay around for a while.

dam europie weather station down :rolleyes:

gusting 34 mph here at the moment

Not much happening then Cookie?? I can't see much fun coming off SEly winds. Hopefully either the cold will come back or raging SWly winds will come in. We're stuck in limbo land just now. No decent cold and no decent storms. Worst of every world.

Posted

Not much happening then Cookie?? I can't see much fun coming off SEly winds. Hopefully either the cold will come back or raging SWly winds will come in. We're stuck in limbo land just now. No decent cold and no decent storms. Worst of every world.

no the wind is picking up.

but with europie down it hinders things a bit.

gusting 43 mph atm picking up.

South easterly is bad wind direction as thats the direction the only road gets closed due to the waves crashing onto the road. eek!

Posted

no the wind is picking up.

but with europie down it hinders things a bit.

gusting 43 mph atm picking up.

South easterly is bad wind direction as thats the direction the only road gets closed due to the waves crashing onto the road. eek!

to be fair the warnings are a joke, dp's are way to high, uppers are way to high, ground temp and wet bulbs again way to high. I guess this is another clanger of a predication by the met office. In the west the snowline...lolol its more like bermuda than anywhere else with high temps.

Posted

to be fair the warnings are a joke, dp's are way to high, uppers are way to high, ground temp and wet bulbs again way to high. I guess this is another clanger of a predication by the met office. In the west the snowline...lolol its more like bermuda than anywhere else with high temps.

I don't know why your on about temperatures being to high that is if your talking about western Scotland hence why you quoted Cookies post. Met Office aren't predicting snow for western Scotland just heavy rain and strong gale force winds.

Posted

Update,

For Thursday. The wind should start to pick up on Thursday morning and get stronger into the afternoon with 50 to 65mph.

ukwind.png

The wind will remain 50 to 65mph during the evening and into the night. Around 3am on Friday things should start to calm down.

ukwind.png

Met Office still have there warnings out for Thursday heavy rain with strong gale force winds.

Edited by weathermaster

I dont think this will be anywhere near as bad as first thought.

Damn GFS, overcooking the lows as usual :(

Plus the fact it was SEly to Sly winds which are never going to pack a proper punch :drinks: