Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

-20C - What Does It Feel Like?

lukemc

Posted

Hi,

I am curious to what -20C and below feels like if your outside at this temperature. Yes I know it will feel cold but, not taking into account the wind chill factor and assuming that the air is still and calm will it feel any different from just below freezing i.e. say about -2 degrees C. Also I have heard that tears on your face can freeze at these temperatures, is that true? And what does it feel like to the exposed skin (again assuming no wind). Are there any other strange things that start to happen at this temperatures, for example can diesel freeze? I would like to here from people who have experienced it and what it was like?

Luke

Posted

Hi,

I am curious to what -20C and below feels like if your outside at this temperature. Yes I know it will feel cold but, not taking into account the wind chill factor and assuming that the air is still and calm will it feel any different from just below freezing i.e. say about -2 degrees C. Also I have heard that tears on your face can freeze at these temperatures, is that true? And what does it feel like to the exposed skin (again assuming no wind). Are there any other strange things that start to happen at this temperatures, for example can diesel freeze? I would like to here from people who have experienced it and what it was like?

Luke

Skiing. In the Alps. Exposing parts of your body is not an option, taking a glove off for a short time and you start to get the first stage of frostbite. Usually your nose turns red and very runny. Any snot that comes out freezes in seconds. Diesel shouldnt freeze as in Alpine countries or Canada usually anti freeze is added to the diesel/petrol. Wind chill just makes it awful!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

I experienced -25c in Sweden 23 yrs ago , it's bloody cold , you don't want to expose anymore of your body than you have to, the air that you breath in up your nose is icy and although it didn't freeze my nostrils as it can at low temps, it wa s a strange sensation..i would like to experience that sort of cold again...3 yrs ago in sweden it only got to -11c , that was the last time i went

Posted

-20 is very cold...if your hands are out in it for about 5 mins they turn very very numb, your movemensbecome slow, speach slurs and concentration drops (if exposed long enough). When you go back inside from the cold they turn very red quickly with the returning blood flow, that in itself can be painful. The coldest i've had is -35o windchill on Glas Moal (Glenshee) that was 50mph sustained wind and snow crystals hitting your face. That was like hundreds of needles hitting your face, to be honest if i was naked i'd have passed out and died in about 2 mins! Its really not nice, cold snowy weather is pretty but people dont understand the dangers, they think its all about records being broken but it is a very real threat if you are out in it and nt prepared.

You should go to Cairngorm or Glenshee for the day so that you can experience it...its definately worth the time, especially in your own country!

Posted

I must say, when I have to get something out of the -80 freezer at uni, it doesn't feel a lot colder than -20 or so, however holding something that's just come out of there with just a thin latex glove on is incredibly cold. :whistling:

Posted

8 years ago I ski'd at Jasper in the northern Canadian Rockies in mid-Jan. It was cheap for a reason! -38c in the day! We had to whether masks to cover nose and mouth to prevent them becoming frosted or frost bitten. The cold was really dry, and when wrapped up in ski gear and exercising, you didn't feel it. But stop for any period, you can feel it creeping in. You didn't want to expose skin for any more than 10 mins. As an example, a friend fell and split his goggles. They them steamed up, so he took them off to be able to see. It took around 15 mins to get the mid-mountain lodge, and he had to sit in front of the log fire for 15 mins. to unfrost his glasses from his face. Great holiday, best powder skiing ever. Recommend to anyone.

Just remembered there was a roof top jacuzzi on the hotel. You had to leep from the door into it. If you touched the metal railing instand frosting to it (so I heard). Love any excuse to talk skiing war stories.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: mediterranean summer

it was -31c in edmonton canada jan 2007 when i was visiting my brother it only lasted 2-3 days but the funny thing is the humidity was very low so it felt not as cold as you can imagine one thing you do notice is the streets are all but desertedrolleyes.gif

Posted

When I experienced -21c some years ago I especially noticed how cold the air was in my lungs.

Other than that it felt fine.

Posted

8 years ago I ski'd at Jasper in the northern Canadian Rockies in mid-Jan. It was cheap for a reason! -38c in the day! We had to whether masks to cover nose and mouth to prevent them becoming frosted or frost bitten. The cold was really dry, and when wrapped up in ski gear and exercising, you didn't feel it. But stop for any period, you can feel it creeping in. You didn't want to expose skin for any more than 10 mins. As an example, a friend fell and split his goggles. They them steamed up, so he took them off to be able to see. It took around 15 mins to get the mid-mountain lodge, and he had to sit in front of the log fire for 15 mins. to unfrost his glasses from his face. Great holiday, best powder skiing ever. Recommend to anyone.

Just remembered there was a roof top jacuzzi on the hotel. You had to leep from the door into it. If you touched the metal railing instand frosting to it (so I heard). Love any excuse to talk skiing war stories.

I was at Mt tremblant canada 2007 -46c at the top of the ski run, burns your lungs when you brethe in too quick.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry and cold...

It's a weird feeling when it's so cold, I went skiing during a perfect week in 85, massive dump of snow then frigid high so you were out in the sun and it was anything between -15c and -25c. When skiing and in the sun, it was quite ok but the killer was on chairlifts entering a shadowed area...then you were remembered how cold it was!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wild!

Hi there, I come from the scottish highlands, to be frank once you get past -15C you cant tell the difference because it is sooooo cold! But it really depends on the wind, if there is even the hint of a breeze it will strip the heat from you no matter what you are wearing, thats the killer. I was out in -17C with just a fleece on at Achnasheen a few days ago and the sun was out, midday.. and it was quite pleasant.