Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

West is Best

Tumbling Records Winter 2009-10

With Altnaharra currently at -20C at 19h00 I thought it might be useful if were to store all the records from this winter in one place.

-20C isn't a record in fact. Only if it drops to -27.2 will it take not just the date record but the record for the coldest ever recorded temperature in the UK. Unlikely tonight, though you never know!

What other records have been set so far?

I believe the record for the lowest temperature in Devon was beaten this week (albeit on anecdotal records) with a -19C, the official temp of -16c recorded by Devon County Council, if confirmed, will beat the previous record of -15 set in 1958

I am sure there have been places in the highland glens that have dropped well below -22C these last few nights, it is just that we dont have many meto sites here in the highlands, only 2 in fact that are capable of getting really low temps. I was at achnasheen on wednesday at around midday and it was -18C in the sun! :rolleyes:

I believe the record for the lowest temperature in Devon was beaten this week (albeit on anecdotal records) with a -19C, the official temp of -16c recorded by Devon County Council, if confirmed, will beat the previous record of -15 set in 1958

The old record was -16.0c in 1979 thought, the new record appears to be -18.0c.

Bensons -17.0 was the second lowest

Manchesters -17.0c was their new lowest beating -15.0c in 1969

All to be confirmed....

Don't expect the Metoffice to be in a hurry to publish these.

Laura Tobin reported on the Country Tracks forecast that Dec/Jan was the coldest on record for Scotland.

Laura Tobin reported on the Country Tracks forecast that Dec/Jan was the coldest on record for Scotland.

Beat me to it, I posted that in the model thread. Coldest since 1982 in Eng/Wales.

BFTP

Beat me to it, I posted that in the model thread. Coldest since 1982 in Eng/Wales.

BFTP

4th coldest since the war in the CET zone.

No all time records broken here, but the -7.3C is a lifetime record for me here this year (ie since I was born)

The lowest temperature on record is -10C here in 1981.

Pretty impressive really.

Ours is standing at 2.0c so far for winter. Also the coldest since 82.