Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & Se Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Had a bit of a thaw earlier - not significant though as everything is still covered. The snow did slide down my windscreen this morning but it has been replaced with the snizzle and snow we've had on and off since about 11am.

No idea what temp or dewpoint is here as I don't have the technology (or brains) to find out :shok:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

Another heavier burst here now, I know it won't settle but am really happy to watch it fall. Temp 1.8 dew 0.3

Posted

The Rain Today radar site shows some quite pepped up shower activity heading east towards NE Kent coast - appeared to grow out of nothing. Probably won't beat melt rate (temps still above freezing here) but one to watch! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow of course

I totally agree Snowpro. Certainly more than we've seen for quite a few years, but nowhere near what we had in the years you mention. 1987 we were actually cut-off here, I remember walking our dog (off-lead) down the middle of the main road as there was no chance of any traffic!

GOOD TIMES!pardon.gif

Posted

Had a bit of a thaw earlier - not significant though as everything is still covered. The snow did slide down my windscreen this morning but it has been replaced with the snizzle and snow we've had on and off since about 11am.

No idea what temp or dewpoint is here as I don't have the technology (or brains) to find out :)

after seeing weather forecasts today it wasnt looking promising at lunch time! but its now looking much better with in a few hours and it looks like a couple of ice days monday and tue and looking like a good chance of snow tue/wed.

http://www.meteociel.fr/ukmo/run/U48-580.GIF?10-18

Posted

Can someone help me with dew points. Looked it up on Wikipedia and I understand the bit about being the temperature required, at constant barometric pressure, for water to condense out. However, how does it all relate to snow and probabilities of snow? Is it as simple as this - dew points of < 0C are required to ensure that water condenses out in the frozen state (i.e. frost or snow)? Or am I barking up the wrong tree (or dripping from the wrong icicle!!) :)

Posted

Keep an eye on that front coming in from the Atlantic on Tuesday. Last Tuesday the forecast changed rapidly from Sunday, from 10cm widely to up to 40cm in some parts of CS England. So there is every chance that the forecast can change this week and the front doesn't still where it is expected to currently.

Posted

The Rain Today radar site shows some quite pepped up shower activity heading east towards NE Kent coast - appeared to grow out of nothing. Probably won't beat melt rate (temps still above freezing here) but one to watch! whistling.gif

Corr blimey if that bugga grows and stays easterlie we'll have a bucket load coming lol

Posted

hi last i heard was mid day and everythin was drip drip drip ....have been out and not looked at anything since tho it is snowin on and off here, can someone update me on the latest.....sorry but is it all back on? :cc_confused:

Posted

after seeing weather forecasts today it wasnt looking promising at lunch time! but its now looking much better with in a few hours and it looks like a couple of ice days monday and tue and looking like a good chance of snow tue/wed.

http://www.meteociel...8-580.GIF?10-18

Don't know enough to answer this myself but are those surface temps or not?

Posted

aaahhhh! i see!! just updated my radar....game on!

even better! the bbc are sayin just light snow.....gonna get loads then :cc_confused:

Edited by cat0511

Posted

Rain Today radar showing first shower band now into extreme NE Kent as Rain / Snow (grey colour) - will this track across entirely as sleet or snow when further inland - that is the question?

Posted

Can someone help me with dew points. Looked it up on Wikipedia and I understand the bit about being the temperature required, at constant barometric pressure, for water to condense out. However, how does it all relate to snow and probabilities of snow? Is it as simple as this - dew points of < 0C are required to ensure that water condenses out in the frozen state (i.e. frost or snow)? Or am I barking up the wrong tree (or dripping from the wrong icicle!!) :cc_confused:

Yea you've got the right idea.

A word of warning however, just because DP is below zero doesn't always guarantee snow. While surface conditions can be ideal for snow, upper air temps can be higher than that on the surface. This produces the phenomenon of freezing rain. It falls as rain but instantly freezes on impact with the ground.

Posted

Anybody getting anything from this large area now moving in?

begining to think they have all gone to bed over there!

Does anyone think there is any chance this will reach across to W Sussex or is it likely to fizzle out as it comes inland?

A little more action showing up in the Estuary now. We have a window of a few hours with an easterly flow.

Its possible some of the higher ground near the Thames corridor could see a covering.

In N.Kent perhaps close to Strood, higher ground south of Dartford/Gravesend, perhaps up to SE London/NW Kent.

Higher ground also in S.Essex, sorry but do you have any? :cc_confused:

Perhaps a dusting on some lower ground too.

Cast your minds back to last Sunday evening when we had a very slack flow from the east, we started to see light outbreaks of snow moving westwards along N.Kent, all the way to the SE.London border.

I saw evidence of this, with a slight dusting near the Kent/London border at Hayes, West Wickham and Shirley. Perhaps dew points a bit more marginal tonight though.

Seems so much harder to get a sustained easterly, than it is to get a nor'easter!

I'm also thinking of moving Steve, find me the highest village on the Downs between Bluebell hill and Capel-le Ferne!

Regards,

Tom.

100% agree tom-

I would go to somewhere in Central Kent- Hastingleigh....is high up!

Heavier PPN drifting into the SE quarter now- moving WNW

A direct hit 1-5 over the hilly areas.......ignore the anaprops in the estuary-

post-1235-12631544180642_thumb.png

S

Edited by Steve Murr

Posted

Don't know enough to answer this myself but are those surface temps or not?

I would have thought they were surface temps

Posted

Yea you've got the right idea.

A word of warning however, just because DP is below zero doesn't always guarantee snow. While surface conditions can be ideal for snow, upper air temps can be higher than that on the surface. This produces the phenomenon of freezing rain. It falls as rain but instantly freezes on impact with the ground.

Thank you Mikel Nimbus for this. So overall 850 uppers of around -8C or less, plus 528 dam or less, plus dew point <0C, plus surface air temp of as close to 0C as possible (up to 2C?) is overall a higher probability for snow.

Posted

Thank you Mikel Nimbus for this. So overall 850 uppers of around -8C or less, plus 528 dam or less, plus dew point <0C, plus surface air temp of as close to 0C as possible (up to 2C?) is overall a higher probability for snow.

plus precipitation :)