Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & Se Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

omg, blizzard conditions in the NW2 section of the mighty metropolis

Not wishing to be a Killjoy

European minima for a Blizzard: A violent snowstorm with winds blowing at a minimum speed of 35 miles (56 kilometers) per hour and visibility of less than one-quarter mile (400 meters) for three hours.

But I share your joy! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Would be nice if we got some bigger flakes

Looking at the radar returns there is another streamer setting up - I think ive been on he very South Eastern end of it-

Its north North of me in essex & streaming WNW towards North London-- its not wide- but is building...

I think its the end here now- nice !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve

Posted

Moderate snow falling here and settling now. In fairness to the forecasters there has been some kind of ppn here for most of the last 24 hours, its just that most of if has been very light/fine snow or drizzle. Im guessing thats why much of it is not showing on radars ?

Had it all fallen as full on snow we would be looking at some impressive accumulations by now. Just the slighest change in temps, dp's and humidity has made all the difference.

Posted

Still snowing heavily in Thamesmead, se london. Smaller flakes are now getting larger. A good covering everywhere as well. This sort of snow must be to do with a weather front or some convergence of wind. I wouldn't be surprised it if kept expanding and stayed the whole night.

Posted

Would be nice if we got some bigger flakes

Same here, it's trying, and their are some bigger bits, a bit like graupel crossed with sleety snow lol

Posted

How mad is this!!! chucking it down!!!

post-631-12631711524842_thumb.jpg

Wow. You have a lot more than me, and we're not far from each other. Only about 10-15 miles.

Posted

Not wishing to be a Killjoy

European minima for a Blizzard: A violent snowstorm with winds blowing at a minimum speed of 35 miles (56 kilometers) per hour and visibility of less than one-quarter mile (400 meters) for three hours.

But I share your joy! :D

In '81 I locked myself out in a Blizzard, a real one. A nutty young neighbour climbed up a drainpipe to my Flat and broke the glass to get me in. A bit chilly afterwards until the pane was replaced but better than being locked out. We could not see a thing the Snow was coming down so fast and the wind was Wild. I was 22 and frozen stiff. But I still think of my nutty neighbour with gratitude. We were snowed in for 4 days after that. Also that was East London!!!

I also used to walk accross the Hollow ponds, after around 6 weeks they were quite safe to walk on. [unlike stupid people recently] you need at least 5-6 weeks of solid frozen ice to do this.

I drove by on Friday and it's iced up now, but no one was walking on it yet. :)

Posted

Looking at the radar returns there is another streamer setting up - I think ive been on he very South Eastern end of it-

Its north North of me in essex & streaming WNW towards North London-- its not wide- but is building...

I think its the end here now- nice !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve

Yep, definitely some sort of streamer setting up, thats passing over North London. It almost seems like it building up on the spot. There's nothing over the estuary according to the radar. Very strange.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Moderate snow falling here and settling now. In fairness to the forecasters there has been some kind of ppn here for most of the last 24 hours, its just that most of if has been very light/fine snow or drizzle. Im guessing thats why much of it is not showing on radars ?

Had it all fallen as full on snow we would be looking at some impressive accumulations by now. Just the slighest change in temps, dp's and humidity has made all the difference.

Snowing here but im sure its melting the snow we already have