Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Your Ideal Late Jan-March Weather

Posted

This thread is a place to get away from the strains of realistic forecast and tells us what you wish you could forecast for Britain until March. Be as severe as you like at either end.

My Ideals is as follows:

A slight thaw between now and the end of Jan would be the start, followed by persistent heavy snow throughout February taking us to dumpings above ten feet across the whole of the UK. Ideally I'd want this to continue in March. Unfortunately the following floods probably wouldn't be worth it so a very slow thawing process lasting to late july early august would be needed.

That's my ideal weather pattern from now to march but what's yours?

Edited by Deep Snow please

Posted

Bring on the Northerlies/North Westerlies.

This cold spell has been good if you like it cold but considering the heatings on constantly trying to stay warm what use is it when theres no proper snow events.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Well since winter has barely just begun plenty of snow and ice please and thanks.

:drunk: :lol:

Posted

A Beast from the East in early Feb, bringing plenty of convection, hopefully a repeat of Feb 1991 or Jan 1987! Cold and snowy till mid March, then a warm up

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

A respite from all this cold and snow for the next couple of weeks, then another good cold spell for the first half of February. Then another warm second half of February and March, much like last year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

For late Jan I wouldn't mind a few Atlantic storms. Early Feb another beast from the east and late Feb into March I would quite like a nice anticylconic spell.

Posted

Nah more snow in March until 21st when Spring begins.

Edited by rikki

I wish i could make the weather like -8C by day and -20C at night widespread for the south and midlands with snow cover up to your knees from late January to March, mainly just so i can come on the forums without seeing the moaners in force, probably moan its not cold enough/or too cold and not snowy enough/too snowy even then so i can't win wallbash.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Anticyclonic weather late January with most people holding onto some snowcover, followed by an atlantic low tracking south of us bringing heavy snow followed by a convective beast from the east with -15 uppers into mid-February. Another week of anticyclonic weather followed by a January '93 style Snow followed by flooding event, heralding a good spell of cool northwesterlies with gales and squally showers, perhaps ending March with a spell of east coast haar which eventually turns to a beautiful spell of 20C and clear blue skies.

Posted

I honestly wouldn't mind a period of 12ºC and gales for a change!

Posted

This thread is a place to get away from the strains of realistic forecast and tells us what you wish you could forecast for Britain until March. Be as severe as you like at either end.

My Ideals is as follows:

A slight thaw between now and the end of Jan would be the start, followed by persistent heavy snow throughout February taking us to dumpings above ten feet across the whole of the UK. Ideally I'd want this to continue in March. Unfortunately the following floods probably wouldn't be worth it so a very slow thawing process lasting to late july early august would be needed.

That's my ideal weather pattern from now to march but what's yours?

A very slow thawing process to late July, early August? Do you know Terminal Moraine?

Posted

I'd be happy with another wet and windy spell too.

Then for Feb a string of cold but persistently sunny days would be great.

By March, maybe some thundersnow to finish off a brilliant winter.

Edited by Timmead

Posted
  • Location: Bishop's Stortford in England and Klingenmünster in Germany

For me more of what we have had please, but it would have been better with a significant snow event for the East - time yet though. The cousins over in Berlin though get an absolute pasting winter in winter out, and there never seems to be enough deep snow in Brandenburg to make it fun. Its just freezing. This week gale force winds have blown the little bit of snow that has fallen into mountains. Pictures of black roads and green fields wind stripped, with mountains of snow in the landscape. Interestingly, I get the impression that many on this site would happily live with a more continental style of climate. Certainly newer style winter clothing helps compared to the leather boots and wollies of earlier generations that were wet through in minutes after being in snow. Also on the summer side, we seem to be happier in warmer temperatures than earlier generations were.

Posted

For me more of what we have had please, but it would have been better with a significant snow event for the East - time yet though. The cousins over in Berlin though get an absolute pasting winter in winter out, and there never seems to be enough deep snow in Brandenburg to make it fun. Its just freezing. This week gale force winds have blown the little bit of snow that has fallen into mountains. Pictures of black roads and green fields wind stripped, with mountains of snow in the landscape. Interestingly, I get the impression that many on this site would happily live with a more continental style of climate. Certainly newer style winter clothing helps compared to the leather boots and wollies of earlier generations that were wet through in minutes after being in snow. Also on the summer side, we seem to be happier in warmer temperatures than earlier generations were.

To be fair though most of EA and the SE had blizzards, heavy snow and drifting on the 17th/18th December. Hopefully A big but longer Easterly compared to last year, not as short lived.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms storms and more storms

What I'd like to see is weekdays with temperatures in the range -2 at night to +8 daytime with beautiful blue sky and the sun shining for as long as possible. Then it could snow Friday night - back to blue skies on Saturday so I can enjoy the snow, snow again Saturday night, thaw on Sunday night etc. Then we can all enjoy the snow at weekends with lovely cold crisp days during the week but with no snow to stop us getting around

Well, you did ask!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Cold and crisp with periods of snow from whatever direction. Just as long as we hold onto cold air until late Feb/early March.

Basically what has happened up here over the past few weeks is absolutely ideal for me. Love it! good.gif

Posted

To be fair though most of EA and the SE had blizzards, heavy snow and drifting on the 17th/18th December. Hopefully A big but longer Easterly compared to last year, not as short lived.

True - I just got in from work when snow hit with an easterly wind behind it. Certainly it was the most intense snow + wind that I have ever seen in lowland UK. My colleague was on her way out to Stuttgard from Stansted that night and was delayed. My only problem was that here it lasted around an hour at the outside. I was in Canbridge a couple of days later and there was around twice the amount of snow that we managed here. I remember these conditions lasting all night as a kid (in the north with altitude though). Power goes off after a while, and next morning the drifting snow is half way up the door. Climbing out the window to shovel a path back in.

Posted

True - I just got in from work when snow hit with an easterly wind behind it. Certainly it was the most intense snow + wind that I have ever seen in lowland UK. My colleague was on her way out to Stuttgard from Stansted that night and was delayed. My only problem was that here it lasted around an hour at the outside. I was in Canbridge a couple of days later and there was around twice the amount of snow that we managed here. I remember these conditions lasting all night as a kid (in the north with altitude though). Power goes off after a while, and next morning the drifting snow is half way up the door. Climbing out the window to shovel a path back in.

It took me by suprise how quickly it came. I remember only half an hour before the first flakes began to fall, it was clear skies and cold. The snow rapidly built up over a few hours. That is the sort of snow that if it falls for a long time can give huge dumpings. The second cold spell has been rather disappointing, I hoped we would do well as it was a North Easterly. I do think there will be another cold spell as we go into to February, there are signs suggesting it

Posted

cc_confused.gif Heard of it but don't know enough about it? Explain its relevance please.

A terminal moraine is the deposits left at the edge of a glacier, however that is not what I'm talking about, for we have a member called Terminal Moraine, and what you said was the type of thing he'd say.

Posted

A terminal moraine is the deposits left at the edge of a glacier, however that is not what I'm talking about, for we have a member called Terminal Moraine, and what you said was the type of thing he'd say.

Thanks, I think you've gathered by that I haven't. New I recoignised it from geography. Take it he wants you all to freeze to death likeme then biggrin.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

For the next week and a half, a front moving E Tuesday/Wednesday with some moderate snowfalls and mild air getting no further than the far west. Then cold with some sunshine coming through for Thursday/Friday. Then the high coming out of Scandinavia bringing a renewed easterly incursion with 850hPa temps around -10C and thicknesses around 520 dam, resulting in a few days of sunshine and snow showers. Of the possibilities from the current setup I find the above to have the most appeal.

From there, an episodic pattern with some milder showery polar maritime interludes, some sunny anticyclonic interludes (a bit of "8-20 February 2008" here and there would be pretty good) interspersed with episodes of the kind of weather we had from 1-9 January (i.e. sunshine and snow showers with some assistance from troughs). This kind of episodic pattern has been known in the past - January 1958, February 1996 for instance - but requires an unstable kind of jet pattern rather than persistence of blocking in one area (or lack of it).

And the same kind of theme through to the end of spring, but superimposed on the traditional warming trend we get as the season progresses, so come April we'd be talking sunshine and 15-20C during the settled spells, and a mix of sun, wintry showers and 6-9C during the arctic interludes.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

My wish list is for easterlies with a low in Northern France giving us some good blizzard conditions to start off with - I am fascinated watching snow drifts form, then a period of max -5C to mins of -10C over the period of the next 5 to 6 weeks, with the occasional fresh snowfall in between to keep the nice pristine look.

Thereafter a lovely blue sky and dry air to enable a gradual thaw with temps climbing to say +10C over the next fortnight, 21C during spring rising say to lower 30's in high summer.

Yes a continental climate would suite me. :shok:

Posted

And the same kind of theme through to the end of spring, but superimposed on the traditional warming trend we get as the season progresses, so come April we'd be talking sunshine and 15-20C during the settled spells, and a mix of sun, wintry showers and 6-9C during the arctic interludes.

15-20C... man that should not be allowed. Anyone for a traditional snowy Easter this year?

Posted

Thanks, I think you've gathered by that I haven't. New I recoignised it from geography. Take it he wants you all to freeze to death likeme then biggrin.gif

Lets just say that reglaciation of Great Britain wouldn't upset him.