light snow at times, some drifting.

Mark

Posted

Nearly got an another ice day here, max 0.1ºC

Currently -0.9ºC

light snow at times, some drifting.

Mark

I know I`m on the wrong thread but very close temps 0.2c max

No snow but lots of drifting today fresh/strong E/SE wind :blink: our lane is filling up 3/4 full now.

-0.7c currently.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

I'm saying that event we got in feb 92 was alot worse than what we got from this current spell, you may have a lot of snow cover and seen plenty of snow showers over the 27 days, we only ever really seen 3 days of heavy snow and as soon as came it went by the sunday/monday, we never really seen the really really cold nights that were reported further up the north east and around the country, we got a fair few sleety showers when other areas where getting snow, so overall yes it was a decent spell but not as bad as previous events.

I think for most of the region the Feb '91 event brought a similar amount of snow overall, but then it all fell within a few days whereas this time it built up over several moderate snowfalls. Most of the region had a fantastic cold spell, but some areas, especially Teesside, only had a 'fairly good' one. It was certainly the longest and snowiest spell in Newcastle for many years.

The snow has nearly gone now, just some ice left on the pavements, but I believe there is the risk of some light snow tomorrow? With a still cold ground that would easily give a dusting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

I think for most of the region the Feb '91 event brought a similar amount of snow overall, but then it all fell within a few days whereas this time it built up over several moderate snowfalls. Most of the region had a fantastic cold spell, but some areas, especially Teesside, only had a 'fairly good' one. It was certainly the longest and snowiest spell in Newcastle for many years.

The snow has nearly gone now, just some ice left on the pavements, but I believe there is the risk of some light snow tomorrow? With a still cold ground that would easily give a dusting.

The ice here it starting to finally go here! :drunk: IS it going to snow overnight and tomoz? a dusting wud be very apreaciated :D

Posted

The ice here it starting to finally go here! :whistling: IS it going to snow overnight and tomoz? a dusting wud be very apreaciated :shok:

I'm not saying it will snow tomorrow, but I believe the conditions are more favourable than the last few days? I'd prefer it if it didn't snow as there won't be anything exciting so I'd rather enjoy walking along the street without slipping for the first time in weeks aggressive.gif

Posted

I'm not saying it will snow tomorrow, but I believe the conditions are more favourable than the last few days? I'd prefer it if it didn't snow as there won't be anything exciting so I'd rather enjoy walking along the street without slipping for the first time in weeks aggressive.gif

When is it forcast to snow?

Posted

for me here on Teesside, i'll remember the two days (thurs and fri ) that give us 1 foot of snow and some of the best snow showers i've seen but this spell does not beat feb 92 in terms of the amount of freezing cold nights and the continues week of snow we had.

We only really had the heavy snow in this spell thursday, friday and saturday by sunday it had thawed pretty badly.

Btw it was February 1991 that had the severe, albeit not very long lasting, cold spell. Feb 1992 was very mild overall with barely any snow all month.

When is it forcast to snow?

It isn't really, but imo if that band of snow from the SW hits us there is a risk of snow, though the band would be weak by the time it reached the NE so realistically just a few light flurries.

The BBC graphics do show some snow tomorrow but areas near to the coast will get rain. If the snow does get down to low levels there is the possibility that even places like Newcastle and Middlesbrough might be too close to the coast for snow.

Posted

Btw it was February 1991 that had the severe, albeit not very long lasting, cold spell. Feb 1992 was very mild overall with barely any snow all month.

It isn't really, but imo if that band of snow from the SW hits us there is a risk of snow, though the band would be weak by the time it reached the NE so realistically just a few light flurries.

The BBC graphics do show some snow tomorrow but areas near to the coast will get rain. If the snow does get down to low levels there is the possibility that even places like Newcastle and Middlesbrough might be too close to the coast for snow.

Well im expecting nothing at all so it would be a surprise. :drinks:

Posted

Well then I've got no chance here in Washington, might aswell just put the gloves back in the draw. The thing that has amazed me is the thawing difference, I used to live near my school(yes under eighteens use these forums, albiet not many) and kept the same school when i moved. Here the snow has gone and there's a few patches of ice in the garden but school is still laced with ice and freezing snow. Nit much has fallen but the thaws not as quick. Is this due to the temp difference or because the system was an easterly meaning the near coast areas get a hairdryer thaw whereas more inland areas get a slower thaw. If it is I'm buying a house in the pennines in ten years time.

Posted

Hi alza I thought it was 91, just couldn't remember the year, been steady drizzle here tonight, pretty cold though, i'm looking forawrd to febuary or even the back end of this month, still got a gut feeling the main event is yet to come ( I hope lol )

Posted

A warning for anyone driving around the stanley consett area this morning,there has been freezing rain overnight and the roads are lethal.:air_kiss:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

A warning for anyone driving around the stanley consett area this morning,there has been freezing rain overnight and the roads are lethal.:unsure:

I've just got to Consett, the main roads don't seem too bad the way I came, but we were driving slow. The roads down to and in our industrial estate are thick black ice, almost impossible to even walk on.

I didn't see any crashes but Marky Mark on the radio said there had been multiple accidents especially in Consett.

Take care out there!

Posted

I've just got to Consett, the main roads don't seem too bad the way I came, but we were driving slow. The roads down to and in our industrial estate are thick black ice, almost impossible to even walk on.

I didn't see any crashes but Marky Mark on the radio said there had been multiple accidents especially in Consett.

Take care out there!

Glaze/ice on nearly all surfaces. Fresh SE winds low cloud. Temp -2.2C

Across other threads netweather and other forums, never heard as many reports of accidents across the country.

Mark

Posted

lethal black ice everywhere here and now getting a covering of hail.take care out there sirens going off all over the place.

Blackhill bank is now impassable apparently. It was ok this morning so things must be getting worse.

Our director had to be pushed out of a bank of snow earlier after he slid into it.

Looks like some PPN moving in off the north sea which will probably be sleet or hail. I wonder if this will make things even worse or maybe help melt the ice.

EDIT: It's mostly missing this area and moving through Tyneside, I would have thought temps are high enough there to prevent any ice problems.

Posted

Sorry for the double post, but we'd dropped onto the 2nd page!

Roads on our industrial estate are still solid ice same as this morning. Looks like another careful drive home tonight for anyone in this area.

With more PPN due overnight and temps around freezing we could have a very similar situation tomorrow.

Doesn't feel nice at all skidding on ice. In snow it feels like you still have some control and you can often hear the tyres skidding, but with ice it's silent and just takes away all control without warning.

It does give an adreneline boost and wakes me up though!

Posted

Really sounds appaling up your way Mark-take it easy and get home safely. We had a period of light snow between 10-30 and 11-30 but it came to nothing-the temperature has not risen above 0.9c here and is currently 0.7c, could well be very icy here later.

Posted

Air temp. has been below freezing all day up here,so the ice from this morning will still be there.

There has been the odd flurry of snow as well which has sugar coated it.

Posted

What do you think our chances of snow tonight is?

The band (actually big blob) of precipitation is crawling towards us here in Tyne and Wear, I estimate it arriving approx 8.30pm (Meto local forecast shows 9.oopm, as light snow for Newcastle)

Have been hearing reports of heavy,lying snow further down South and now into West Yorks (8" plus with drifting too).

What do people think, snow here in T + w, or just sleet/rain? My guess would be snow, not particularly heavy but giving a light covering everywhere, maybe 5cm on higher ground(eg Consett/Stanley etc)

Karl

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Around 10:30-11:00 this morning we had a short spell of snow although very wet. It has been quite miserable for a few days here now dull, wet and very cold in the raw wind especially today as the wind veered to a sou'easterly as opposed to a straight easterly. Personally i'm looking forward to a few days of a sou'westerly not because it will be warm because it wont..!! but it will be bringing a feeling of less cold and to give a respite from that salt smelling/tasting easterly.....Could do with a bit heavy rain to wash away the dirty ice and yet again all the dog turds..!!

Posted

There was some very wet light/moderate snow at 12:30 for 5minuites then drizzle

Posted

Drizzle turned to sleet and then wet snow for a couple of hours this morning, it left a thin layer of slush which soon melted.