Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

I know ive been a moaner but today I have been so dissapointed its off the scale!!! :@ Im just hoping tonight we get some snow and give back some accumalations.

Posted

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

http://www.meteox.nl/gmap.aspx?soort=loop3uur&zoom=6&lat=52.908902047770255&lon=-1.845703125

both radars picking something out near your coast , the dutch one big red spots

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I warned everyone about this warmer air but even I didn't expect it to be as significant as it is proving to be. Temperatures across the region are about 2C higher than I was expecting. I think all forecasters got this one wrong!

And yes, I didn't predict the big snowfalls on Friday night- although the distribution of showers is always very hard to pick out more than 12 hours in advance ("scattered showers" is often the best a forecaster can do in that situation).

For those hoping for a thaw, be warned- away from the North Sea coast this stuff is likely to stop thawing tomorrow and refreeze, leading to ice- the worst of all worlds as it isn't as fun for those enjoying the snow, and isn't much better for those hoping for a proper thaw to reduce disruption- indeed for those worried about conditions underfoot it's worse.

Posted
<br />I know ive been a moaner but today I have been so dissapointed its off the scale!!! :@ Im just hoping tonight we get some snow and give back some accumalations.

its a strange winter so far and one we have not seen for a very long time and winter has only just started. I'm really looking forward to febuary when the north sea has cooled down even more, allowing more cold air to hit us this will hopefully mean alot more snow.

Posted

I warned everyone about this warmer air but even I didn't expect it to be as significant as it is proving to be. Temperatures across the region are about 2C higher than I was expecting. I think all forecasters got this one wrong!

And yes, I didn't predict the big snowfalls on Friday night- although the distribution of showers is always very hard to pick out more than 12 hours in advance ("scattered showers" is often the best a forecaster can do in that situation).

For those hoping for a thaw, be warned- away from the North Sea coast this stuff is likely to stop thawing tomorrow and refreeze, leading to ice- the worst of all worlds as it isn't as fun for those enjoying the snow, and isn't much better for those hoping for a proper thaw to reduce disruption.

TWS what should i expect now? Most of the snow has melted but there is still a covering on the ground. will we get any snow today or tonight or monday to replace some of the cover

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

No- although it will become colder again next week, it will remain wrong side of marginal within about 10 miles of the coast with a continued thaw, albeit slower than that of today.

Further inland ice is likely to be a problem as today's slush will refreeze.

Posted

For those hoping for a thaw, be warned- away from the North Sea coast this stuff is likely to stop thawing tomorrow and refreeze, leading to ice- the worst of all worlds as it isn't as fun for those enjoying the snow, and isn't much better for those hoping for a proper thaw to reduce disruption- indeed for those worried about conditions underfoot it's worse.

yes you did say this last night TWS, I know its a very long way off TWS but what are your thoughts regarding Febuary this year, once the north sea is alot cooler, bringing in alot more cold, is this likely to happen being its a strange winter or are we looking at a mild febuary like some users are suggestion in the general disscustion thread

thanks dave

Posted

No- although it will become colder again next week, it will remain wrong side of marginal within about 10 miles of the coast with a continued thaw, albeit slower than that of today.

Further inland ice is likely to be a problem as today's slush will refreeze.

8miles away here so here is hoping and i thought rain/sleet/snow is coming in tonight and tommorrow? which one is most likely for me . Im expecting rain now :whistling: Im so deflated! (N)

Posted

yes you did say this last night TWS, I know its a very long way off TWS but what are your thoughts regarding Febuary this year, once the north sea is alot cooler, bringing in alot more cold, is this likely to happen being its a strange winter or are we looking at a mild febuary like some users are suggestion in the general disscustion thread

thanks dave

It will almost certainly turn milder for February, but it's up in the air as to whether we get a homogeneously warm February, or a February with alternating mild and cold spells. The El Nino winter of 1965/66 had a cold snowy January and a mild February but the middle of February 1966 produced a snowy easterly, so it would be premature to write the winter off even if we turn out to be in for a February that is mild overall.

8miles away here so here is hoping and i thought rain/sleet/snow is coming in tonight and tommorrow? which one is most likely for me . Im expecting rain now :lol: Im so deflated! (N)

Most likely sleet and graupel.

Posted

It will almost certainly turn milder for February, but it's up in the air as to whether we get a homogeneously warm February, or a February with alternating mild and cold spells. The El Nino winter of 1965/66 had a cold snowy January and a mild February but the middle of February 1966 produced a snowy easterly, so it would be premature to write the winter off even if we turn out to be in for a February that is mild overall.

Most likely sleet and graupel.

cheers TWS, its been a cracking winter so far so I expect a mild spell for a while now, lets hope we can get another good spell of snowy weather before the season is out, plus March nearly always delivers for snowy events.

Posted

Well, I'm devastated. The snow is shrinking before my eyes. We had 24cm yesterday morning, 20cm this morning, now it is more like 16cm, and we're getting down to the older more compact snow which will take longer to shift, in fact I think there is a glacier in the corner of my garden, lol.

The snow which has disappeared seems to be the soft candyfloss top layer. This though is an absolute MEGA thaw, never seen one happen so quick without rain or high temperatures. The wind is rather brisk, the temperature is 2.9º and steady, dew point is -3.4º, why is it melting so quickly? I can only think because of the wind?

Posted

temp here is 4 degree

dew point is -1

Humidity 70%

pressure 1,025.06 mb

wind From East North East at 35 kmph

the wind is drying the melted snow on the roof's and pavements fast, looks quite good with with mountains of snow all over the place that people have cleared, looks like we've just come out of a mini ice age lol

Posted

Looks like in around an hour or two the band of precipation will arrive? Hopefully snow but i only have around 50% confidence it will be and btw the snow seems to has slowed down in melting as i think its the compacted stuff now. Anyways dewpoint is firmly negative and everything else seems okay apart from the temp but that has levelled off and should now start to drop so atm im slightly more postive.

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Rapid thawing today, around 15cm is left in the garden. I hope the remaining snow gets washed away tonight, it isn't very nice anymore.

Posted

Rapid thawing today, around 15cm is left in the garden. I hope the remaining snow gets washed away tonight, it isn't very nice anymore.

Alza what you think of that preciaption moving north and heading straight towards us everything is in favour of snow apart from the temp what do you think will happen? Personally if its just going to go all icy and slushy id rather it melt and go but if it snows id love it to stay to get a fresh new covering?

Posted

Alza what you think of that preciaption moving north and heading straight towards us everything is in favour of snow apart from the temp what do you think will happen? Personally if its just going to go all icy and slushy id rather it melt and go but if it snows id love it to stay to get a fresh new covering?

I think it will be alternating between sleety snow and rain, leaving a fair amount of slush to freeze. I want that sleet to be heavy to reduce the ice risk for the rest of the week.

Posted

I think it will be alternating between sleety snow and rain, leaving a fair amount of slush to freeze. I want that sleet to be heavy to reduce the ice risk for the rest of the week.

We will know in a few hours hopefully it will be snow the only reason I believe it can snow is because the dew point is firmly in negative territory and down south they are reporting snow with quite high temps. So who knows :whistling:

Posted

Some major thawing taking place in Consett. A lot of the icicles I've been keeping an eye on have disappeared as well. Gonna miss it when it's gone.

Posted

yep big thaw here today.

went out to northumberland, 1.5-2 feet of snow there.

i hope it doesnt refreeze and turn to sheet ice, its a pain in the chuf to walk anywhere when that happens

Posted

We will know in a few hours hopefully it will be snow the only reason I believe it can snow is because the dew point is firmly in negative territory and down south they are reporting snow with quite high temps. So who knows :lol:

I'm pretty confident that this will be a non-event at low levels, if we're lucky we'll get shot of all this snow (I'm sick of it now). It's nice when its fresh but you soon get fed up when it's mainly old snow lying around.

4.4ºC now, and irrespective of what the dewpoint is now that's too high for snow, when the precipitation arrives the humidity will rise and the dewpoints will rise considerably. I'm hopeful that by Tuesday the garden will be mostly green again, but it will take a long time to get rid of the very hard snow from before Christmas.

Edited by alza

Posted

I'm pretty confident that this will be a non-event at low levels, if we're lucky we'll get shot of all this snow (I'm sick of it now). It's nice when its fresh but you soon get fed up when it's mainly old snow lying around.

4.4ºC now, and irrespective of what the dewpoint is now that's too high for snow, when the precipitation arrives the humidity will rise and the dewpoints will rise considerably. I'm hopeful that by Tuesday the garden will be mostly green again, but it will take a long time to get rid of the very hard snow from before Christmas.

Everyone was preety confident about temps getting no higher than 2 or 3C today but they have so you never be certain and snow can fall at temps of 8C so at 4C there is still a chance if dewpoint is in negative territory

Its snowing in the midlands aswell all im saying is dont rule it out. surprises do happen!

Edited by Snowstorm1