Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Unfortunately the bbc are starting to try and play down the "over-hyped" today and tomorrow ppn a little - I still think there may be some cms snow myself and tuesday is still looking "interesting" shall we say

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Wow the metoffice and BBC have got the forecast very wrong today

Posted

From the GFS models the ppn was never gonna be of any great shakes but the "pro-forecasters" were adding a bit because this stuff was coming off a cold continent - seems it may be coming from a cold dry continent or coming from a continent where they've had all the snow and we are getting the left overs!

I wouldn't rule reasonable snow totally out today mind you in Wales - I think the mountains may well try to wring a little bit more of the snow out of the clouds than we are seeing just now later on this afternoon and over night tonight yet!

snow is trying hard here and seems to be increasing in the wind so I wouldn't rule anything out yet! you know what the beeb are like for bothering to worry too much about our little country and right now there's nothing going on in the south east which means there's nothing going on anywhere else in the country as far as they are concerned. Not so!

I would say right now that we have the lower end of modrate snow fall right now blowing away in the wind - that's not bad mind considering - not a red warnings worth though - but not bad! - I think the warning for wales though might well be for tonight and over night not for now

Edited by andymusic

Posted
  • Location: Upper Cwmbran NP44 S E Wales - 5 Miles east of Newport 150m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: SACRA member

0C here in Cwmbran, snowing more than just 'light' but not moderate although persistent and continous and blowing. Still huge amounts of snow lying about from last week, schools still closed...what next ? light snow forecast for the next 4 days here at Cwmbran SE Wales

interesting to see what the weather for the week ahead will be today, talk of getting milder ? mmmm Met Office have to be quite careful on this ne seeing as the Government are now controlling the grit stocks and have a convoy of new grit lorries heading for the South East today.

If they go for cold to remain then they could be very wrong and vice versa...they need to pretty precise to say the least...

even though it's snowing here, I don't know where its landing, cant see any accumulations or hardly any on top of cars...whers it all going ? perhaps Ive got a 20 foot drift around the side of my house because I cant see it

Cwmbran SE Wales 150m asl 5 miles east of Newport ( higher ground )

Posted

You all being a bit hard on met the heavier snow wasent going to get here till after dark 6pm was mention patience, is required.

Edited by keithlucky

Posted

From the GFS models the ppn was never gonna be of any great shakes but the "pro-forecasters" were adding a bit because this stuff was coming off a cold continent - seems it may be coming from a cold dry continent or coming from a continent where they've had all the snow and we are getting the left overs!

I wouldn't rule reasonable snow totally out today mind you in Wales - I think the mountains may well try to wring a little bit more of the snow out of the clouds than we are seeing just now later on this afternoon and over night tonight yet!

snow is trying hard here and seems to be increasing in the wind so I wouldn't rule anything out yet! you know what the beeb are like for bothering to worry too much about our little country and right now there's nothing going on in the south east which means there's nothing going on anywhere else in the country as far as they are concerned. Not so!

I would say right now that we have the lower end of modrate snow fall right now blowing away in the wind - that's not bad mind considering - not a red warnings worth though - but not bad! - I think the warning for wales though might well be for tonight and over night not for now

The snow is definatly starting to fall nicely in Newport now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Nothing much here, just the odd snow grains in the wind, not even enough to call it very light! Im not sure we will get much now, maybe 1-2inches at most :S

Posted

0C here in Cwmbran, snowing more than just 'light' but not moderate although persistent and continous and blowing. Still huge amounts of snow lying about from last week, schools still closed...what next ? light snow forecast for the next 4 days here at Cwmbran SE Wales

interesting to see what the weather for the week ahead will be today, talk of getting milder ? mmmm Met Office have to be quite careful on this ne seeing as the Government are now controlling the grit stocks and have a convoy of new grit lorries heading for the South East today.

If they go for cold to remain then they could be very wrong and vice versa...they need to pretty precise to say the least...

even though it's snowing here, I don't know where its landing, cant see any accumulations or hardly any on top of cars...whers it all going ? perhaps Ive got a 20 foot drift around the side of my house because I cant see it

Cwmbran SE Wales 150m asl 5 miles east of Newport ( higher ground )

It's only really just started - so I think it will start to accumulate shortly

Posted

i myself think the met office bbc etc dont want anyone else being caught out this winter now due to it being so cold, and then over forcast until its here and then decide to down play it,

i been reading lots on here, and i myself think that this cold spell may just go away within a week from most of south wales,we are little to close to the south coast and very rare does it snow big time here,i did think yest that we may be lucky this time but now i think we wont get the dumpping at all.

hope im wrong but never mind i only got to drive a few miles and im up the bwlch and there is loads of the white stuff up there for the kids but it very cold up there to say the least but not in the car lol.

Posted

Nothing much here, just the odd snow grains in the wind, not even enough to call it very light! Im not sure we will get much now, maybe 1-2inches at most :S

don't worry it's coming - moderately snowing here

Posted

i myself think the met office bbc etc dont want anyone else being caught out this winter now due to it being so cold, and then over forcast until its here and then decide to down play it,

i been reading lots on here, and i myself think that this cold spell may just go away within a week from most of south wales,we are little to close to the south coast and very rare does it snow big time here,i did think yest that we may be lucky this time but now i think we wont get the dumpping at all.

hope im wrong but never mind i only got to drive a few miles and im up the bwlch and there is loads of the white stuff up there for the kids but it very cold up there to say the least but not in the car lol.

I think you've got to be patient - later today there may be slightly heavier snow and tuesday is still looking good for a possible dumping

Edited by andymusic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SACRA member

You all being a bit hard on met the heavier snow wasent going to get here till after dark 6pm was mrntion patience, is required.

I agree with what theyve said about 6pm today however , their weather maps tell a different story to many people and when you switch over and see a weather foreacst with Rob McElwee shwoing the UK covered in white dots....it looks like much snow for many....like I said they have to be careful to not over dramatise things but they also have to over dramatise things otherwise they are made to look stupid...and many people start to point the finger....

Ive been reading on other well known forums this morning and theyre all complaining about the lack of snow in the event today....these people are also weather forecasters ( allbeit amateurs or so ) and they should know better....

Whatever we get Im grateful. If it rains, then fine, it gives those people who dont like the cold a chance to cheer up and if it snows, then the kids are happy...can't please all of the pople all of the time....

Posted

At least it's snow we're getting and not cold snizzle/drizzle like some posters on here were suggesting - it was never gonna be that - this cold spell ain't finished yet and I still think it's got a few surprises to deliver in the coming days

Posted

At least it's snow we're getting and not cold snizzle/drizzle like some posters on here were suggesting - it was never gonna be that - this cold spell ain't finished yet and I still think it's got a few surprises to deliver in the coming days

Snow's sticking here. I think colleges and schools will be open tomorrow, dunno why.

Edited by Jayfromcardiff

Posted

can't please all of the people all of the time....

I'm in the music buiz and we use that phrase all the time and it's true - you'll never ever get happiness from everyone in any one situation - everyone's different thank god - we ain't robots after all - makes for a more interesting world

Snow's sticking here. I think colleges and schools will be open tomorrow, dunno why.

adding to our now 4 -5+ inches nicely here too

Edited by andymusic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Unless it gets heavy tonight, then i think you might be right!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Difficult to call for today & tomorrow - Snow yes but mainly light & with a slight thaw unlikley to lead to sig accumulations - Atlantic definately back from Tuesday with some heavy rain around. Signals of another push of cold towards next weekend.

Edited by Jonathan Evans

Posted

Difficult to call for today & tomorrow - Snow yes but mainly light & with a slight thaw unlikley to lead to sig accumulations - Atlantic definatley back from Tuesday with some heavy rain around. Signals of another push of cold towards next weekend.

Why is heavy snow forecast tuesday and wednesday then?

Posted

someone's just mentioned that you may not see this heavier precip coming on radar as it's very localised and also is due to the way it's forming - eg. right now cheltenham is having heavy flakes but on the raintoday radar there's nothing!

Why is heavy snow forecast tuesday and wednesday then?

Atlantic low is due to push in up against the cold air and dump some snow - could be rain/sleet as well though - depends how hard the cold fights to keep the cold air

Posted

Very, very light snow here with a temp of -1.6c

In fact, the snow is so light it doesn't even show up on the radar. :whistling: