Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & Se Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

18Z NAE is suggesting an increase in precipitation in the same area as today between midnight and 6am tomorrow. We shall see!

post-4523-12630788147642_thumb.gif

Posted

The thing with the BBC and sky is come this time of night the information they are using isn't always up to date. I have no idea whats going to happen as it always seems to be now cast with snow, especially streamers 5 miles wide.

The met office could well agree that it doesn't look good for the south now but the BBC will be using the same info till the morning.

Warnings still on the Met Office site for tomorrow, which actually has Slough, Windsor and Maidenhead. They'd do well to remove that by the morning I think. Maybe those further East may see some more snow from North Sea but even there I think the temps have notched up a tad!

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Mr M,

I have read your posts for a few years now and despite being an occasional and highly non-technical (I am being kind to myself) poster, I always look to your input, along with that of a few others (they will know who they are), for guidance and ideas. Not as gospel becuase even these days the pros in the media are still described as "forecasters" not prophets. Anyone who criticises the knowledgable amatuers on here without any sort of technical back up has, I think, entirely missed the point of a forum such as this. For the avoidance of doubt I don't use the word amatuer in a judgmental way but in the proper sense - not one's day job, but a passion fuelled by learning, and all the better for that.

BTW have you read the Scottish Avalanche Information Service blogs in the past few weeks - really interesting and highlighting the extremely unusual snow and ice conditions in our high mountains.

AS

cheers I will go & have a read of those blogs-- The problem with UK snow in the mountains is its consistency & water content -

When you get coagulation in the alps etc the snow is usually very consistent,however UK snow is sometimes wet & occasionally dry-

that doesnt make for good layering & makes for very dangerous conditions- as the top snow will slide off the crust underneath-

S

S

Posted

18Z NAE is suggesting an increase in precipitation in the same area as today between midnight and 6am tomorrow. We shall see!

post-4523-12630788147642_thumb.gif

looking at the rest of that run the only noticeable precip is for that small strip of Kent/Sussex, and then the Midlands northwards. I hate to say this, but I don't think anything's going to happen now :whistling:

Posted

radar looks a bit rubbish, just waiting to see what that se trough triggers. thinks the beeb have overegged it a lot. snowcasting.....worse job in the world! i do think they may have the developments further north right though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Look to the south trust me!!!

I see a house :)

Posted

This link for this sat image seems to say that by 3 to 4 am there will be more cloud over us in the SE which could bring more snow then the cloud moves over from France in more like and E flow which may bring more snow to places away from the coast. What do you think more experienced guys? http://www.yr.no/satellitt/1.5941760

Edited by Snow Queen one

Posted

cheers I will go & have a read of those blogs-- The problem with UK snow in the mountains is its consistency & water content -

When you get coagulation in the alps etc the snow is usually very consistent,however UK snow is sometimes wet & occasionally dry-

that doesnt make for good layering & makes for very dangerous conditions- as the top snow will slide off the crust underneath-

S

S

Yep, it's normally all freeze/thaw, layers and windslab. At the moment there appears to be all sorts of unusual stuff going on, here's an example:

http://saislochaber.blogspot.com/2009/12/facets.html

You'll also get some photos to die for on the SAIS and associated sites

Still expecting to have to wear my crampons on the streets of Reigate over the next week or so, which seems to un-nerve the neighbours

thanks again

AS

Posted

That Meteox Radar shows the Mass of Precip that will hit the NE Of England and NI Later Tomorrow, Nice for them to top up there already 1 foot of level snow :):)

Clearing skies coming onto the Coast now in Essex so should knock those temps back down again!

Paul S

Posted

This link for this sat image seems to say that by 3 to 4 am there will be more cloud over us in the SE which could bring more snow then the cloud moves over from France in a SW flow which may bring more snow to places away from the coast. What do you think more experienced guys? http://www.yr.no/satellitt/1.5941760

I admire your optimism but I suspect its all over.

Posted

oh - precip developing to the east of Kent in last half an hour?

warm front still over France according to 22z MetO Pressure chart!

Edited by staplehurst

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & Snowy, Hot & Sunny & Thunderstorms

I like a conspiracy theory...... so lets try this one for size.

It has been reported that a lot of councils only have salt stocks sufficient for a 6 day cold spell but the highways agency have supplies for 13 days. I think it would be fair to say local councils have had to reduce their stocks to save money as per central government instructions to cut public sector spending. The government to cover up this inadequacy instructs both the BBC & Met office (who both seem to be government lap dogs), to ramp up this cold spell as much as possible to stave off any further criticism. Has anybody else noticed that every news report fails to mention how localised the real severe weather is........ I wonder why? :)

Feel free to shoot me down in flames!

Posted

BBC24 forecaster Liam Dutton has also just said that more snow is on the way in the early hours into Sunday for the SE & London.

It is still snowing lightly here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow

I like a conspiracy theory...... so lets try this one for size.

It has been reported that a lot of councils only have salt stocks sufficient for a 6 day cold spell but the highways agency have supplies for 13 days. I think it would be fair to say local councils have had to reduce their stocks to save money as per central government instructions to cut public sector spending. The government to cover up this inadequacy instructs both the BBC & Met office (who both seem to be government lap dogs), to ramp up this cold spell as much as possible to stave off any further criticism. Has anybody else noticed that every news report fails to mention how localised the real severe weather is........ I wonder why? :)

Feel free to shoot me down in flames!

Think you have a good point there ( where's the snow)

Posted

oh - precip developing to the east of Kent in last half an hour?

warm front still over France according to 22z MetO Pressure chart!

Thats what i am talking about the cloud over France is on its way here in the early hours of tommorrow morning and will bring snow. It seems to be in line with Rob McE's forcast on the news tonight.