Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & Se Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Toys out of pram time me thinks. whistling.gif

wallbash.gifsad.gifbad.gif

Either youre being ironic or that's quite a pointless post...

Posted

Still snowing lightly here. Has been for a few hours. Not adding much, maybe 1cm in that time. Looking at the temps. Sleet imminent. Cant grumble, been a half decent day here. Shame none of us got the forecast amount though. Oh well we may get lucky overnight. Media still think so, if nobody else does!

Posted

That's right. There's only 10 million people in London and they think we want to know about the wilds of Kent? Peter Cockcroft is the only guy who forecasts for is and he often strays into "London area" or, my pet hate,"to the west of London" so does he mean west London or somewhere outside london down th m4, such as slough?

I'm so glad other people have noticed this!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow !!!!

There is nothing upwind, downwind or over the continent that is going to arrive here anytime soon-

http://www.yr.no/satellitt/1.5941760

I see the haters are out in force tonight- However= when all the 'professionals' were calling for the 5inches of snow I was saying it was already over for SE essex & NE kent- & now we here the drip drip posts-

Dont get me wrong, its been a good spell of cold - we must keep the perspective, its been synoptically a great end of Dec + start of Jan & 100% of the posters here would have bitten an arm or two off to see things like this back in september-

Just enjoy whats on the ground & watch out for some heavy frosts this week as skies clear from the East & SE

S

Has been an awful spell for London, seems as everywhere else in the uk has had the cold and snow where as we have just had the COLD. This has been the worst winter set up for me, i appreciate for many this has been epic but we have missed it from the south , the east, the west and the north.

After all the hype this has been the worst ever.

I really hope all have had snow have truly enjoyed and appreciated it.

I hope and pray for a quick and mild breakdown so we can all get back to the regular uk weather, uninspiring , tedious and for such a small island a winning situation for the minority but a huge kick in the b****S for the majorit.

Sorry to be so negative but seems it has been ALWAYS a downgrade.

God bless the uk only the third biggest island and truly has the most diverse weather but the majority of the time it is S***t.

Posted

Met office back up what the media are saying

Very cold with snow becoming widespread in England and Wales.

This Evening and Tonight:

Snow in the southeast of the UK becomes more widespread this evening, eventually affecting much of southern England by dawn. Across northern parts another very cold and icy night with snow showers easing. Strong northeasterly winds spread across the UK.

Sunday:

Periods of snow with bitter northeasterly winds spreading across much of England and Wales. Scotland and Northern Ireland will continue very cold but mainly dry and sunny

Posted

Steve, Is it possible that both Rob (BBC24) & Francis (Sky News) are correct regarding snow tomorrow? They have nothing to lose by downgrading the snow event in the SE tomorrow, but they have kept to their guns and gone for snow tomorrow. We shall see.

Well I'd say far from correct looking at it...!

Edited by rmc1987

Posted

oh for god's sake, even Liam Dutton is saying a further 15cm in Kent, Sussex and Essex and 2-5cm in London! How?!

2-5cm in london?! Lol

Posted

Don't see my station produce many of these 12 hours plots.

dirplot.gif

Lol

It is crazy the wind has not budged from NNE All day, even now it is showing 9mph from the NNE On my Station. Crazy to think we should have been well to the East by now.

I thought it had swung to the East when the temperature shot up by +3 degrees from earlier on and the Heatwave in Moscow was advecting Westwards :yahoo: The last bit was a joke btw

Night All

Paul S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & Snowy, Hot & Sunny & Thunderstorms

This is not a moan but I must admit it has been a frustrating few days especially today as they have at least 10 cm's less than 4 miles to the east, while we have managed just 2 ( better than many people I know).

At the start of January it was looking really good with the models showing the possibility of a real winter for once and although it hasn't been great for all of us there are plenty who have had their best wintry spell for many years. So chin up everyone enjoy what we have/havn't got and don't forget, some of us may have a slight thaw but this cold block is going to take a fair bit of shifting and I cannot see a return to mild temps for a while yet.

P.S There might even be a sting in its tail! :yahoo:

P.P.S I could also be very wrong!! :lol:

Posted

Unfortunately i think the bbc forecasts were quite misleading by sticking up 3 different possible amounts of snow, 5,10, and 15 cm, were these for the favoured areas or basically a sweepstake done by the bbc! At least Rob M stressed it was generally going to be light snow with only a very small favoured area and he did highlight this several times yesterday. Unfortunately once again the media overdid the whole thing and we had the now infamous reporter stuck outside on a main road in Kent talking the whole thing up with a few flakes of snow falling!

As SM has said though let's get some perspective here, it's been a great cold spell so far not particularly snowy for everyone but compared to so much of the mild dross of recent winters in the UK a welcome change.

Posted

There is nothing upwind, downwind or over the continent that is going to arrive here anytime soon-

http://www.yr.no/satellitt/1.5941760

I see the haters are out in force tonight- However= when all the 'professionals' were calling for the 5inches of snow I was saying it was already over for SE essex & NE kent- & now we here the drip drip posts-

Dont get me wrong, its been a good spell of cold - we must keep the perspective, its been synoptically a great end of Dec + start of Jan & 100% of the posters here would have bitten an arm or two off to see things like this back in september-

Just enjoy whats on the ground & watch out for some heavy frosts this week as skies clear from the East & SE

Mr M,

I have read your posts for a few years now and despite being an occasional and highly non-technical (I am being kind to myself) poster, I always look to your input, along with that of a few others (they will know who they are), for guidance and ideas. Not as gospel becuase even these days the pros in the media are still described as "forecasters" not prophets. Anyone who criticises the knowledgable amatuers on here without any sort of technical back up has, I think, entirely missed the point of a forum such as this. For the avoidance of doubt I don't use the word amatuer in a judgmental way but in the proper sense - not one's day job, but a passion fuelled by learning, and all the better for that.

BTW have you read the Scottish Avalanche Information Service blogs in the past few weeks - really interesting and highlighting the extremely unusual snow and ice conditions in our high mountains.

AS

Posted

My marginal snow is still coming down - any snow is good snow as far as I'm concerned :)

I applaud all the forecasters on this site (amateur or otherwise). As others have said, it is all prediction and therefore, guesswork and it takes some bottle to put your thoughts on here in black and white, especially when some folk seem intent on throwing it back in your faces when it's not 100% right or not what they want to here.

I love looking at the posts on here and find the detail you folk give really impressive and interesting and I thank you ALL for taking the time and effort to answer stupid questions from us lamp post watchers.

These are for all of you :lol: :yahoo:

Posted

Well I'd say far from correct looking at it...!

The thing with the BBC and sky is come this time of night the information they are using isn't always up to date. I have no idea whats going to happen as it always seems to be now cast with snow, especially streamers 5 miles wide.

The met office could well agree that it doesn't look good for the south now but the BBC will be using the same info till the morning.

Posted

I've just been outside and it's calm with clear skies. That's quite a contrast to the 40mph blizzards forecast earlier... Something must have changed in the last few hours.

Edited by GSDog

Posted

There's nothing quite like the disappointment of not getting forcasted snow...I guess only people who love snow understand the pain! Hey ho, more important things in life than the weather, and there will be plenty more chances this winter!!

Posted

My marginal snow is still coming down - any snow is good snow as far as I'm concerned :)

I applaud all the forecasters on this site (amateur or otherwise). As others have said, it is all prediction and therefore, guesswork and it takes some bottle to put your thoughts on here in black and white, especially when some folk seem intent on throwing it back in your faces when it's not 100% right or not what they want to here.

I love looking at the posts on here and find the detail you folk give really impressive and interesting and I thank you ALL for taking the time and effort to answer stupid questions from us lamp post watchers.

These are for all of you :drinks::whistling:

here here